Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 12:16 PM

29,566 posts, read 9,786,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Thanks for the non-response.

Please do point out where all liberals are stating that “only conservatives are racists”.

Because you can’t.
A lot of people who make comments like the one you are referring to simply post their ignorant peanut gallery comments in this forum just like they toss litter on the street, without looking back. I call them "drive by" posters, that no doubt deserve little if any attention.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
There is nothing in the thread title or the first post that indicates all whites are racist. The question is simply: Are you a racist?

I worked in Mississippi in 1972 at DeJeans cannery. My first job was stacking pallets with Jake, a black guy who had been there for several years. I experienced racism there. I worked with Jake for about an hour and then got promoted to the canning machine with a ten cent raise. Racism was so pervasive and just the way things were. I didn't stay at DeJeans very long. It was very sad. In fact I didn't stay in Mississippi very long.
No doubt the degree of racism and/or pervasiveness depends on what state we live in and no doubt the state we live in has some influence on what we think about racism.

Thanks for the further clarification BTW. Amazing that some people seem needing of so much help along those lines!

Old 02-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I do agree with this, and I also think that racism is more apparent now than it was even 50 years ago, and I blame our political leaders and the media for this (both social and mainstream)

Yes, in 1968, it was the era of George Wallace, and the Watts riots had occurred just three years before that, but almost all the working-class people I knew (with a few exceptions) viewed both Wallace and the black rioters as exceptions to the general rule and certainly not representative of their respective races. I think that the great majority of people believed in the ideals of the Kennedys than they did in the beliefs of the KKK or the Black Panthers. In 1968, most people I knew were much more concerned about the Vietnam War than they were about race relations. (I lived in SoCal, btw.)

In other words, racism wasn't occupying the minds of most of the people I knew -- or, at least, not to my knowledge.
Wallace didn't represent all white people and of course all white people are not racist, but Wallace sure did a good job of representing all too many white people who surely were racist!

Old 02-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I hate stupid people who never learn because they don't want to learn, and people who have no manners or consideration of anyone around them. I don't care what their skin color is or their gender. People like that can be found in all groups - all races, both genders - I hate them all equally.

If I'm ranting about someone blaring their bass, it has nothing to do with their skin color. Whites, blacks, Hispanics, even Asians all do it. It's not about race, it's about them being ignorant twits and annoying the crap out of everyone.

What I find racist is assuming I'm racist solely based on the color of my skin.
About what you "find racist" (I put in bold)...

You find that racist because that IS racist!

Old 02-22-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...but everything is racist now

Some stupid law about "black hair" and how it's racist to deny someone a job because they have some huge afro...or rasta hair down to their butts...

What's next.....mullets and face tattoos?
I'm not sure what to make of people who believe "everything is racist now" but there are a lot of people who seem to have that perspective. I'm tempted to examine that sentiment a little deeper, but I'll just say I don't share the same sense that "everything is racist now." Not by a long shot. I think people are becoming more aware and vocal about racism now, less tolerant, more than in the past. Wherever it seems to rear it's ugly head...

Old 02-22-2019, 12:30 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,361,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Does it make a difference if the following anatomy is male, or in other words, isn't that sexist?
You were responding to a poster who said: Women should be concerned any time they are being followed by three men of any race. That you called or rather questioned whether it was a sexist statement.

Anatomical parts M following anatomical parts F is not a sexist issue but a sex issue ...particularly the closer they come.

I suppose the reverse might also be a "sex" issue, but again not a sexist one. Not aware of many men having that kind of a sex issue, but I suppose it might happen.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Am I racist? As in, actively try to do harm to a person who’s not my skin color? That would be a No.

Am I prejudiced? Unfortunately, although I try not to be, the answer is Yes. Sometimes I do have thoughts that are prejudiced. The key is to recognize those thoughts as they occur, and cut off that line of thinking. Most times I’m successful, occasionally I’m not. I’m human.
Your "as in" definition is altogether too limited in terms of all forms of racism that don't involve actively trying to do harm to a person who's not your skin color.

Was Trump "actively trying to harm black people" when he explained “You had some very bad people in that group," Trump said, referring to the white nationalist groups rallying against removal of a Confederate statue. "But you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides.”

Charlottesville’s new mayor, who is black, maintains that the president’s attitude toward race is contributing to a hostile climate in her city and beyond.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=57141612

I don't think it's hard to see how people can view Trump's take as racist leaning. Not blatant, maybe not even intentional, but typical of how our words expressing how we think demonstrates some tolerance of what really should not be tolerated in any uncertain terms.

Of course Trump "changed his tune" soon after (as this article explains), for the same obvious reasons...

Old 02-22-2019, 12:38 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,526,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
There is no reason to reject facts and reality - your conclusion from my statements is a classic logic fail. You can accept facts without prejudging people.

For example, you can accept that statistics show that Black men are more likely to commit violent crime than White men. However, that doesn't imply when you see a Black men you view him as a criminal, or even more likely to be a criminal. In other words, you accept the statistics without prejudging the individual.
Liar, liar, pants on fire. I did no such thing. In fact, I stated the opposite. I would pick one of the 5 black guys to win a 100 yard dash and one of the white men to win a 100 yard meter swim race. That in no way implies all black men are faster than all white men [that would be stupid]. I would not prejudge their character, intelligence, family life, personalities, etc.. Besides, would I be racist against whites, blacks, or both in the example ?

The same re men and women. If I was hanging from a cliff and had to choose from a random man or woman to save me, I'd be what you call sexist and pick the man because In General, men are stronger. That in no way implies that all men are stronger than all women [that would be stupid].

You have a warped definition of 'racist' and 'sexist.'

Old 02-22-2019, 12:41 PM

2,362 posts, read 781,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Liar, liar, pants on fire. I did no such thing. In fact, I stated the opposite. I would pick one of the 5 black guys to win a 100 yard dash and one of the white men to win a 100 yard meter swim race. That in no way implies all black men are faster than all white men [that would be stupid]. I would not prejudge their character, intelligence, family life, personalities, etc.. Besides, would I be racist against whites, blacks, or both in the example ?
You say you're not prejudging but then doing exactly that in your post.

Me, I wouldn't pick either based on their race. I would look into their past performance histories. If I don't have access to that, I'd ask others who I trust for a recommendation, and if I don't have that, I'd just not pick anyone.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:43 PM

18,565 posts, read 7,410,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, I was not intentionally misleading anyone, do the math yourself. This is a stupid thing to argue about. Anyone who feels safer with 3 white men following them than 3 men of another race are prejudiced if not racist.
I did the math myself, and either you're extremely innumerate or you were deliberately misleading. Anyone who feels safer with 3 white men following them than 3 black men is simply aware of a simple fact about our world. No matter what you want to call it -- prejudiced or racist -- knowledge is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.