Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:42 AM

33,194 posts, read 19,841,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Stop spreading lies.

Shoot any rifle with a suppressor without ear plugs and tell me it's silent....
22s are the only ones that are quiet.

Funny in Europe suppressors are the norm for hunting...
even 22's are still loud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 10:45 AM

33,194 posts, read 19,841,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't see that addressing silencers is wide sweeping and claims that ammunition are just an accessory are absurd. They can live without silencers, this is an argument about minutia. Go make your case that silencers are critical to the second amendment, this is where gun rights advocates look foolish and petty.
there is no such thing as a silencer..nothing silences the sound of a round going off...

they are called suppressors, because the suppress the sound, not silence it

Old 02-20-2019, 10:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,883,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
TN legalized them a couple of years ago and LA did back in the fall. I still carry my Kershaw because it is easy and safer to open it one handed. I don't have to put down what I'm opening.
I carry a double action, out the front knife everyday too, mine is a smaller one, blade is only 3" long, but the comments I get when I use it are always good for a laugh, "Arent those illegal""only criminals carry switchblades". LOL

Im not sure when automatic knives came to be associated with criminals, maybe some of the old Stephen King movies, when juvenile delinquents back in the 1950s would carry a switchblade? !

Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM

57,380 posts, read 26,643,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Do you know how suppressors work? Do you understand how much they lower sound pressure levels in db?

A top shelf suppressor will lower the output noise of a gunshot about 25-30 db on average. Virtually all firearms in existence make somewhere between 150-165db sound pressure. 85 db is the threshold for potential hearing loss, and 120 db is the threshold for pain (also the level of an average siren). So a typical suppressor lowers the db output right about to the threshold of pain, or a siren. Real quick, are sirens so whisper quiet that you can have one blaring in one classroom and the next classroom over, they have no idea that siren is going off?

Suppressors do not make firearms silent. They lower the output sound level by 25-30db, and combined with hearing protection, can protect firearms operators and anyone within the vicinity of that firearm's operation from permanent hearing loss.

The whisper quiet thing is an invention of movies and is pure fiction. Put a suppressor on my 9mm Beretta and it is only slightly quieter than a jet engine at take off. When I add two layers of hearing protection (which I always do), now operating my firearm, to my ears, is about as loud as being in a decently populated restaurant. If I have to operate that firearm in a tactical situation where I need max environmental hearing capability, but don't want my ears to bleed and my eardrums burst from firing a shot, then a suppressor lowers the chances of that happening. It will still be loud, but maybe not permanent damage and ears bleeding loud.

They are safety devices designed to protect hearing. The fact that, with the tax stamp and ATF approval plus the outrageous cost, they cost more than the weapons they are attached to is a testament to the stupidity and colossal ignorance of politicians and their voters.
Nothing suppresses sound from a gun to put it in a safe range, not sure what the point is of a suppressor that reduces sound from 160 dBA by 30 dB since the result is still damage to hearing. Those are sound levels right at the rifle and drop off exponentially with distance, although still noticeable a few thousand feet an attenuation of 30 dB is very significant over distances.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:53 AM

50,909 posts, read 47,913,321 times
Quote:
Nothing suppresses sound from a gun to put it in a safe range, not sure what the point is of a suppressor that reduces sound from 160 dBA by 30 dB since the result is still damage to hearing. Those are sound levels right at the rifle and drop off exponentially with distance, although still noticeable a few thousand feet an attenuation of 30 dB is very significant over distances.
But you can use foam plugs to make up the difference. Ear plugs don't work without a can. Especially anything with a brake on it.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:55 AM

45,563 posts, read 26,930,935 times
The merits of silencers are irrelevant to the point of the fedguv having no authority to regulate them in the first place.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:05 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,547,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The merits of silencers are irrelevant to the point of the fedguv having no authority to regulate them in the first place.
The boogeyman that Negotiates Rights Away (NRA) helped with getting them regulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
But you can use foam plugs to make up the difference. Ear plugs don't work without a can. Especially anything with a brake on it.
Oh hell yeah. Everyone thinks my crusader is chambered in something exotic. That R2 brake is intense if you are to the left or right of it.

The brake on my 338 lapua?

You'll feel it at an outdoor range from up to 8 bays in each direction. You need to double up with ear protection when that bastard barks.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:12 AM

50,909 posts, read 47,913,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
The boogeyman that Negotiates Rights Away (NRA) helped with getting them regulated.

Oh hell yeah. Everyone thinks my crusader is chambered in something exotic. That R2 brake is intense if you are to the left or right of it.

The brake on my 338 lapua?

You'll feel it at an outdoor range from up to 8 bays in each direction. You need to double up with ear protection when that bastard barks.
.50 Armalite with tank brake. You have to tell everyone (if they haven't already seen it) before you torch it because it will blast everything off tables for 30 feet. So loud.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:16 AM

14,241 posts, read 5,841,614 times
Quote:
Nothing suppresses sound from a gun to put it in a safe range, not sure what the point is of a suppressor that reduces sound from 160 dBA by 30 dB since the result is still damage to hearing.
In conjunction with hearing protection, it is provides the least threat of hearing loss or injury. That's the point. Spend a day at the range, even with double hearing protection, and your ears know where you spent the day. Suppressors are simply added hearing protection, as well as a minor recoil dampener.

Basically, they are a device for ADDITIONAL SAFETY when operating a firearm.
Quote:
Those are sound levels right at the rifle and drop off exponentially with distance, although still noticeable a few thousand feet an attenuation of 30 dB is very significant over distances.
Yet another bonus of the suppressor. The sound output over distance is much less, thus reducing noise pollution and potential hearing damage in the immediate ad near-surrounding environment.

Again, more safety.

Making suppressors so tightly controlled is exactly equivalent to making earplugs and noise cancelling headphones subject to $200 tax stamps and 9 month waiting periods...all because you seek to protect your hearing and that of others?

Old 02-20-2019, 03:24 PM

20,009 posts, read 10,426,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
In conjunction with hearing protection, it is provides the least threat of hearing loss or injury. That's the point. Spend a day at the range, even with double hearing protection, and your ears know where you spent the day. Suppressors are simply added hearing protection, as well as a minor recoil dampener.

Basically, they are a device for ADDITIONAL SAFETY when operating a firearm.

Yet another bonus of the suppressor. The sound output over distance is much less, thus reducing noise pollution and potential hearing damage in the immediate ad near-surrounding environment.

Again, more safety.

Making suppressors so tightly controlled is exactly equivalent to making earplugs and noise cancelling headphones subject to $200 tax stamps and 9 month waiting periods...all because you seek to protect your hearing and that of others?
The Left has their mind made up and the truth does not matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies