Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,611,108 times

Advertisements

Some time ago, reading through a document produced by the Department of Education, I noticed the thing was chock full of pious quotes by President Obama interspersed between charts and graphs and bureaucratic mumbo jumbo. By pious quotes I mean things like:

“We have an obligation and a responsibility to be investing in our students and our schools. We must make sure that people who have the grades, the desire and the will, but not the money, can still get the best education possible. ” ~~ Barack Obama

You get the idea. This was a document aimed at America's educators. And the thought occurred to me: Why are all the quotes by President Obama? Does nobody else have anything important to say about education? Is the American educational system his personal fiefdom? Is Obama now our national philosopher-king?

Here's another document that is even worse. It's another taxpayer-produced puff-piece from the White House Council on Women and Girls. It's loaded with not only pious quotes from the President - and no one else! - but photograph after photograph of President Obama, the knight on the white horse coming to the rescue of America's damsels in distress. It has all the subtlety of a third-world dictatorship.

I'm a monarchist at heart, but I find this cult around Barack Obama to be extremely bizarre. This is a republic, not a monarchy, and the president is just an elected official who whose office is temporary by design. I'm wondering when this man is going to have himself carved on Mt. Rushmore.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,329,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Some time ago, reading through a document produced by the Department of Education, I noticed the thing was chock full of pious quotes by President Obama interspersed between charts and graphs and bureaucratic mumbo jumbo. By pious quotes I mean things like:

“We have an obligation and a responsibility to be investing in our students and our schools. We must make sure that people who have the grades, the desire and the will, but not the money, can still get the best education possible. ” ~~ Barack Obama

This was a document aimed at America's educators. And the thought occurred to me: Why are all the quotes by President Obama? Does nobody else have anything important to say about education? Is the American educational system his personal fiefdom? Is Obama now our national philosopher-king?

Here's another document that is even worse. It's another taxpayer-produced puff-piece from the White House Council on Women and Girls. It's loaded with not only pious quotes from the President - and no one else! - but photograph after photograph of President Obama, the knight on the white horse coming to the rescue of America's damsels in distress. It has all the subtlety of a third-world dictatorship.

I'm a monarchist at heart, but I find this cult around Barack Obama to be extremely bizarre. This is a republic, not a monarchy, and the president is just an elected official who whose office is temporary by design. I'm wondering when this man is going to have himself carved on Mt. Rushmore.
I know I've said this before, but Obama can't be put on Mt. Rushmore: There's only room for one more face up there.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

You get the idea. This was a document aimed at America's educators. And the thought occurred to me: Why are all the quotes by President Obama? Does nobody else have anything important to say about education? Is the American educational system his personal fiefdom? Is Obama now our national philosopher-king?

If the doc was quoting President Obama and it was aimed at educators, I'm sure it was about Race To The Top, which is his administration's signature program. You know, like No Child Left Behind was Bush's. Can't tell you how many documents teachers had to read/study/listen to during his admin - and they all quoted him.

Why do you always insist on making something out of nothing??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies