Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,194,061 times

Advertisements

As a liberal, I whole-heartedly agree that we must attack the deficit and limit spending. This is not just a good financial idea-- This is a matter of national security.

Where I diverge is how we do that-- my plan would be to end the wars immediately, cut the military by a third and bring tax rates to where they were before the Bush-era tax cuts. Analysts have said that this alone will take care of the deficit. I do not favor cutting programs that actually benefit human citizens.

What conservative idea do you agree with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,173,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
As a liberal, I whole-heartedly agree that we must attack the deficit and limit spending. This is not just a good financial idea-- This is a matter of national security.

Where I diverge is how we do that-- my plan would be to end the wars immediately, cut the military by a third and bring tax rates to where they were before the Bush-era tax cuts. Analysts have said that this alone will take care of the deficit. I do not favor cutting programs that actually benefit human citizens.

You nailed it for me, thanks.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,859,930 times
Quote:

I agree with you, however that is a strong democratic plan that has, and will work again.
The GOP would rather destroy medicare, medicaid, social security, while giving even more tax cuts to the rich and upping military spending, exactly what got us into, and will continue getting us into an even bigger hole.
I honestly can't tell you a single GOP plan I agree with, because all hurt the nation and freedom.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM

45,963 posts, read 27,593,320 times
Quote:

Attacking the deficit and limiting spending is not liberal or conservative - it's common sense. What we are doing now is financial suicide.

The manner in which a balanced budget is achieved is liberal or conservative. Cutting the military is not conservative.

Defending the country does not benefit human citizens?

You would rather cut our ability to defend ourselves versus $1.5 billion in aid to Pakistan? Or spend $800K on this conference in Vegas for 300 people? Or other frivolous wastes?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,007,939 times
Quote:

I agree with a strong military, used wisely.
I agree with reformng social programs so that those that need it get it and those abusing it are kicked off.
I agree with cutting out the waste in government spending.
I agree with cutting off the money tit to the world, especially to Nations that hate us.
I agree that the UN is now usless and should be dumped.
I believe in the death penalty so long as it is fairly imposed.
I agree with the right to bear arms.
I agree that MSM is biased.
I agree with the idea that the devil is in the details and that is where I and the conservatives are often at odds.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,793,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I agree with reformng social programs so that those that need it get it and those abusing it are kicked off.
I agree with cutting off the money tit to the world, especially to Nations that hate us.
I agree with the idea that the devil is in the details and that is where I and the conservatives are often at odds.
These don't sound like liberal ideas. I agree with everything you wrote and I'm a conservative.
Cutting the military needs to wait for a bit as there are no jobs for the soldiers to come home to. IMO.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 AM

556 posts, read 625,393 times
Quote:

You say that we must attack the deficit and limit spending but you immediately want to raise taxes. That sounds contradictory to me.
You also state that analysts state that that is enough. i have not seen any such analysis. Cutting spending will help enormously. I (and I believe many other people) would restore the pre Bush tax rate AFTER spending cuts have been implimented.
The government is like a junkie-they promise to do something right after their next fix. And nothing ever gets done. It's time to show that you are willing to cut spending.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 AM

24,231 posts, read 15,297,372 times
Tempest is correct. I'll second the military spending, wars and raising taxes. The returning vets need employment.

Remember Cheney saying deficits don't matter.

I have voted libertarian for the last 25 years. IMO, some of the social programs need cutting, along with getting out of other's business.

There should also be a fee on money being sent from the USA to other countries. I watch the lines of folks on Friday evenings sending money to Mexico. It must add up to billions a year. Money earned in the USA and not spent and circulated and taxed here is also a problem.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 AM

23,821 posts, read 24,229,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Welcome to the TEA Party!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,194,061 times
So again, the bridge between what liberals actually believe, and the caricature of liberals painted by RushGlenO is wrong. But it's entertaining, right? So that's something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies