Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:50 PM

89,900 posts, read 45,672,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
People who do it think they are some how finding new things, or some how "know" what the founding fathers thought
In very many cases, we DO know what the Founding Fathers thought. There are, in fact, ample archived historical primary sources telling us exactly what they thought - IN THEIR OWN WORDS in many such instances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,177,180 times
What would the founding fathers feel about social security? Food stamps? Medicare, medicaid? Welfare? Our foreign policy?

Do you think that they ever saw a SCOTUS which abused its constitutional authority as it does?

How would they feel about obama? The previous presidents? Our national debt?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,177,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In very many cases, we DO know what the Founding Fathers thought. There are, in fact, ample archived historical primary sources telling us exactly what they thought - IN THEIR OWN WORDS in many such instances.
That is correct.

Very inconvenient to progressives.

44,882 posts, read 33,487,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I see you have your answers. But will you listen to them. Whenever a group resorts to calling others that disagee with their candidates ideas American Haters, Warmongers, Constitution Haters along with plenty of personal attacks beyond those then those people are exibiting Cult like traits. Since you asked the question and now that you have your answers will you adjust your replies and tone down the rhetoric or simple ignore the answers? Did you REALLY want answers or were you simple standing on your soap box? I will add that the fanatical support that has been displayed on this board does not get more people to listen to the message but instead it has the opposite effect and turns people away. If his supporters want to claim their candidate is level headed leader that is respectful of other opinions and can work with others then they might try following that example themselves, so far only a few have managed to do it.
It seems that you don't know a whole lot about the early history of this nation where it pertains to strict constructionists and loose constructionists. If you do then you should realize that those who support the document here, or anywhere else, are members of that strict group. That means that you of the loose thinking group would always speak as you did here in that cult crap. Of course, there is no way that we could see you loosies as a cult, is there?

31,767 posts, read 29,009,688 times
Quote:
Such as this...

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It seems that you don't know a whole lot about the early history of this nation where it pertains to strict constructionists and loose constructionists. If you do then you should realize that those who support the document here, or anywhere else, are members of that strict group. That means that you of the loose thinking group would always speak as you did here in that cult crap. Of course, there is no way that we could see you loosies as a cult, is there?
Loosies? Loosening up just might help improved blood flow to the brain...

So, why do you think that some in the society be only 3/5 person? Would these be the same people who called corporations people, or intended to?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:54 PM

25,231 posts, read 17,069,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
That's ridiculous! It completely ignores how societies move forward. Can you use 1770's logic to write appropriate laws around internet usage or the containment of electromagnetic radiation from power lines? Every foundational document is a statement of its times and if it's any good, can be applied to long future periods. Today is not like yesterday. Today will not be like tomorrow.

Change is inevitable and it scares conservatives, of which I would predict you are one. While I too, at times, find a fluctuating basis for reality a bit daunting, it's better than one set in stone that can never be altered or worse, one that gets applied inappropriately just to continue its hallowed status.

What's so bad about a "living" document anyway? Sure beats a dead one.
Very Well Said, I would rep ya but I have to wait.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
What do you think of Arizona's immigration SB 1070 law or the other state laws modeled after it? What do you think of the real id act?
I love the Arizona act that was passed in desperation when the federal government refused to enforce their immigration laws for years. I love all the state laws that involve voting with a picture ID, only. You asked and I told you.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 PM

25,231 posts, read 17,069,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You might want to save your "opinion" for when the Cult descovers you are Not a Fan of Paul.
As others have already reminded you, the Constitution is a LIVING Document, if the founding Fathers did not think it was they would not have made it possible to make Ammendments and they would have not come up with another document called the Bill of Rights. I think it is You that needs to do some more reading, try to go to actual History and Government books this time instead of some right-wing website, you are missing some of the Facts your way.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
I doubt that anyone here has read the Constitution, much less have any understanding of it. The so-called "Tea Party" activists are the worst of all - they are simpletons: they are always bringing up the "founding fathers" and the Constitution. "We want our country back!" they cry. It’s laughable. They are like the evangelical Christians that misquote the gospels and ask, insipidly: "What would Jesus do?" They are stooges and shills for those who would use them to their own cross-purposes - those who would subvert the very foundations of our democratic institutions.
Wendell, I am here and I taught the Constitution to high school juniors and seniors in American History and American Government classes for 28 years. Since I wanted them to always know about it and knew that many wouldn't read it, I read it to every class every year. Of course, I always read the footnotes in the text books to them and discussed them. Yes, I think I have read that document more than just a few times. When I quote it here I don't need a lot of time to get the quote since I just grab my handy dandy copy of the document and know just where to find the words.

Yep, Wendell some here have read that thing and taught it for at least 2 weeks for a number of years. Yes, I agree with the Tea Party people although I am sure that not everything they say about the Constitution. Of course, they and I are strict constructionists and don't like the way you of the loose variety interpret it.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,292,439 times
Quote:
There is indeed "ample" primary sources, unfortunately for your argument they reveal a wide divergence in opinions about the intention of the document that they signed... or didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies