Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM

954 posts, read 1,287,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
(CBS) On April 15, don't be surprised if the line at your local post office is a bit shorter than usual. That's because your neighbors may not be paying any income taxes this year.

An astonishing 43.4 percent of Americans now pay zero or negative federal income taxes. The number of single or jointly-filing "taxpayers" - the word must be applied sparingly - who pay no taxes or receive government handouts has reached 65.6 million, out of a total of 151 million.

Those numbers come from an analysis published yesterday by the Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution. Neither is a low-tax or conservative advocacy group; the Urban Institute was created under the Johnson administration during the Great Society era, and it receives most of its funding from the federal government.

The Income Tax System is Broken - CBS News
People still mail their taxes? Unbelievable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM

31,312 posts, read 20,920,425 times
Quote:
I believe he is referring to income taxes. The Bush tax cuts took many of the lower income families off the tax rolls; after they claim the standard deductions they end up not owing any income taxes.

Obviously. And everyone posting here knows that. I'm amazed at why the Hanity haters cannot stop watching him..... amazing.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:42 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,454,066 times
Quote:
I believe he is referring to income taxes. The Bush tax cuts took many of the lower income families off the tax rolls; after they claim the standard deductions they end up not owing any income taxes.
We shouldn't have to "believe" that he's referring to income taxes. He should say it. The reason he doesn't is that "don't pay any taxes" makes it sound like they don't pay any taxes while "don't pay any income taxes" makes it sound like they just don't pay any income tax which doesn't sound as bad. And in fact isn't bad at all since it was never intended that all or even most Americans pay income tax. The first year of the income tax the percentage of Americans that didn't pay income tax, or "didn't pay any taxes" as the right likes to phrase it, was in the high 90's

Old 09-21-2011, 03:43 PM

954 posts, read 1,287,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Obviously. And everyone posting here knows that. I'm amazed at why the Hanity haters cannot stop watching him..... amazing.
Of course, the issue is that Hannity on one hand uses things like sales tax to fluff up his own tax burden while at the same time saying that poor people pay no taxes at all - when of course they also pay sales taxes.

Just dishonest use of statistics.

As Mark Twain said, There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Old 09-21-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, he was referring to all taxes. He made that very clear in the interview with Michael Steele when he says "They don't pay ANY taxes" and he put a very strong emphasis on "any"

Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
(CBS) On April 15, don't be surprised if the line at your local post office is a bit shorter than usual. That's because your neighbors may not be paying any income taxes this year.

An astonishing 43.4 percent of Americans now pay zero or negative federal income taxes. The number of single or jointly-filing "taxpayers" - the word must be applied sparingly - who pay no taxes or receive government handouts has reached 65.6 million, out of a total of 151 million.

Those numbers come from an analysis published yesterday by the Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution. Neither is a low-tax or conservative advocacy group; the Urban Institute was created under the Johnson administration during the Great Society era, and it receives most of its funding from the federal government.

You got the wrong part being astonishing. The astonishing part is that almost 60% do pay taxes

Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,666,978 times
Quote:

And that just goes to show ya just how many Americans are low, low income. Do you not think those folks would rather be paying income taxes? That would mean they were actually making a taxable income.

Last edited by lucknow; 09-21-2011 at 07:26 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,524,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I saw a clip of Sean Hannity today on one of my MSNBC shows and he was yammering and yapping about how he pays sooo much in taxes, 50% by his estimate. How you may wonder could Sean be paying 50% in taxes when the top tax rate is 35%. Well the thing is Sean was counting ALL taxes, like sales tax and property tax. When I heard that I said "Damn! I'll bet that hypocrite has pushed the line that the botton 50% don't pay anyt taxes. And I was right. According to Sean property taxes and sales taxes and those other taxes that aren't income taxes are taxes when he pays them but they're not taxes when the working man pays them.

I was in the kitchen when I heard it so I don't know if he threw his little girly football afterwards

Videos below of Sean saying that the bottom 50% (approx) don't pay taxes
My favorite is the last one, an interview with Michael Steele, in which Sean says "They don't pay ANY taxes" and he puts a strong emphasis on the "any"

Hannity still falsely claiming "half of Americans ... don't pay taxes" | Media Matters for America

Quick Fact: Hannity perpetuates false claim that 50 percent of households "don't pay taxes" | Media Matters for America

Quick Fact: Hannity perpetuates false claim that 50 percent of households "don't pay taxes" | Media Matters for America

Hannity still falsely claiming "50 percent of ... households in America don't pay taxes anymore" | Media Matters for America

Hannity falsely claimed "50 percent of American households no longer pay taxes" | Media Matters for America
Per the IRS, 51% of americans pay no INCOME tax. The fact that your source doesnt know the difference between income tax, and "all taxes", has me laughing again at people who still use media matter for a source.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM

13,020 posts, read 19,066,557 times
Depends on what you call a tax. When Bill Clinton was gov of Ark, there was a two-step increase in fines for driving drunk. Some of his opponents scored it as two tax increases. Licenses, permits, parking meter fees. They can all be taxes.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM

46,675 posts, read 27,527,689 times
How much do you pay in federal taxes.

What about state taxes.

What about the tax that you pay when you buy a coke at the local store.

What about the tax you pay at the grocery store.

That's what he is talking about...all taxes combined....add it up....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies