Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:17 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times

Advertisements

My question is simple.

What does this, the very first sentence of the Constitution of the United States of American, mean?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Me again: recall that our Nation first formed under the Articles of Confederation, which gave the States more power than the Central Government.

However, it proved, in a short period, unworkable. Hence the statement “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more ‘perfect’ Union’ (etc). Our Founding Fathers then established a new Constitution that gave MORE power to the Federal government.

However, I am focusing on one particular part: ‘promote the general Welfare’. What do you think that means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
My question is simple.

What does this, the very first sentence of the Constitution of the United States of American, mean?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Me again: recall that our Nation first formed under the Articles of Confederation, which gave the States more power than the Central Government.

However, it proved, in a short period, unworkable. Hence the statement “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more ‘perfect’ Union’ (etc). Our Founding Fathers then established a new Constitution that gave MORE power to the Federal government.

However, I am focusing on one particular part: ‘promote the general Welfare’. What do you think that means?
That means that the government should have programs to promote the safety, health and rights of the citizens. Not really what we think of when we hear "welfare" as it is used today - like "Miss Smith is on welfare" but the general well being of the citizenry.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
I think it's meant to be a list of objectives for the rest of the document to attempt to accomplish.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That means that the government should have programs to promote the safety, health and rights of the citizens. Not really what we think of when we hear "welfare" as it is used today - like "Miss Smith is on welfare" but the general well being of the citizenry.

Hmm. Health?

I agree that the Founding Fathers would have had no idea of 'welfare' as we think of it today.

Still, pretty 'liberal' of them.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
The preamble of the US Constitution is suppose to be a summation of the entire document. It conveys no powers or limitations, although the Supreme Court has often referred to it as evidence of the origin, scope, and purpose of the Constitution.

The Supreme Court has read the preamble as bearing witness to the fact that the Constitution emanated from the people and was not the act of sovereign and independent States. See:
The preamble was further used by the Supreme Court to denote that the US Constitution was made for, and is binding only in, the US. See Downes v. Bidwell, 182 U.S. 244, 251 (1901); In re Ross, 140 U.S. 453, 464 (1891).

Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
To understand the exact meaning, you have to understand the man that wrote it.

I doubt you know very little about the man that wrote that sentence.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
To understand the exact meaning, you have to understand the man that wrote it.

I doubt you know very little about the man that wrote that sentence.
You are correct! If the patient person would actually read what this person said, you will see what he means.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The preamble of the US Constitution is suppose to be a summation of the entire document. It conveys no powers or limitations, although the Supreme Court has often referred to it as evidence of the origin, scope, and purpose of the Constitution.

The Supreme Court has read the preamble as bearing witness to the fact that the Constitution emanated from the people and was not the act of sovereign and independent States. See:
The preamble was further used by the Supreme Court to denote that the US Constitution was made for, and is binding only in, the US. See Downes v. Bidwell, 182 U.S. 244, 251 (1901); In re Ross, 140 U.S. 453, 464 (1891).
I thank you for the citations (which I have not followed).

I agree, that the 'preamble' is suppose to indicate 'how' one reads the Constitution. It is almost like the Founding Fathers said "When in doubt, go back to out Preamble, to see how to interprete clauses".

Old 10-05-2010, 09:02 PM

For anyone else whom may post tonight: It is 10 p.m. here in Fort Worth, so I am off to bed. I work.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
You are correct! If the patient person would actually read what this person said, you will see what he means.

That is not what I said.

Do you know the character of the author?
Do words have the same meaning now, as they did then in the Kings English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies