Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM

783 posts, read 2,025,690 times

Advertisements

I have verizon and it works well now. I had AT&T before and it was good, but dropped calls in certain spots. Also, with AT&T I got NO service at the airport. None. Zero. Well that sucks when you just landed and you're trying to call a friend to come pick you up. Hopefully they've fixed that. If you're looking to switch, AT&T should be coming out with the new IPhone shortly, so maybe you should wait a little longer and see how it is. I have thought about going to Sprint and their "Simply Everything" plan, but their phones don't seem to be up to par with verizon and at&t. I don't know how their customer service or phone reception is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 07:09 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,229,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
You know what I mean(minute). Anyway, I'm not interested in any of that crap, games,web or you tube, I just want to make calls and do a little texting. Cricket does this all for about 45 bucs a month.
Switch to the Cricket Pay Go program and you can cut your bill to $15-20 a month. Unlimited calling per day and you only get charged on the days you use the phone. The basic level, just phone calls, is $1 a day, which cannot be beat! For example, you use the phone a total of 15 days, your bill is $15.00. I swear by Cricket!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:44 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,911,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Thanks @Blackbeauty212, that was quite the extensive reply and it's very much appreciated! My concern was that I wouldn't have service in certain places that I do with Verizon, yada yada, but if roaming is free in the U.S., that's great. Also, everyone I have spoken to has given me a similar account to yours. I can safely say, there hasn't been one person that has said, "DON'T DO IT, STAY AWAY!" .
I recently learned that Sprint always falls back onto Verizon as they use the same technology and share towers...But besides that one area of PA..I've never off Sprint coverage..maybe this is because i really only road trip the East Coast and fly everywhere else and that mainly populated cities and vacation resorts....But it's refreshing to learn if I'm ever somewhere there's no Sprint i will be covered with Verizon and FOR FREE! (the best part)

Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,698,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Also, with AT&T I got NO service at the airport. ... Hopefully they've fixed that.
Never experienced that despite a number of trips to the airport over the last 4 or 5 years that I've had a few different ATT phones, so yeah, I don't think that's a problem anymore.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:37 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,285,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Switch to the Cricket Pay Go program and you can cut your bill to $15-20 a month. Unlimited calling per day and you only get charged on the days you use the phone. The basic level, just phone calls, is $1 a day, which cannot be beat! For example, you use the phone a total of 15 days, your bill is $15.00. I swear by Cricket!
Thank you, i didn't know about this. What about caller id ,voice mail and Texting?

Old 05-29-2010, 04:52 PM

10 posts, read 79,315 times
I recently switched from AT&T to Boost Mobile which runs on the Sprint Network & my reception has been outstanding throughout the Pittsburgh area. I pay $50/month for unlimited talk, text, & web which is way better than AT&T. They also have a $60 unlimited everything plan for their Blackberrry phone offering. I would seriously check them out before you get stuck with an overpriced contract from the big guys.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,557,324 times
After this weekend, I will never ever have a Verizon service as long as I'm on this Earth! I was the original author of this thread. Over the weekend, I decided to see how much it would be to cancel my contract. I have a Family Share Plan and want to cancel 2 of the 5 lines and one of the other folks on the plan will be the primary line. Well...I called customer service and was told that it would be $300 to cancel my line and $125 to cancel the other line. $125 is acceptable...$300 is NOT. I was told that my contract was signed after Verizon's “new termination fees” took effect. I asked the CSR when Verizon's "new termination fees" took effect company wide, he had no answer, and said, "Well obviously after you signed your contract..." NOT AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER! If you expect ME, the customer to know when these damn fees took effect and an employee of the company DOESN'T...I have BIG problem with that! So I just hung up the phone and went to the Settlers' Ridge Verizon store. HA, mistake #2 of my day. The CSR could NOT have cared less. Got the exact same song and dance from her and she still could not tell me when the "new termination fees" took place! So at this point, my blood is boiling; I decided to call customer service AGAIN. By the grace of God, I got a very efficient CSR. She told me the same termination costs, however she told me that on November 14th, the "new termination fees" took effect. OK! That's fine, you answered my question. Then she proceeded to discover that my home is a "known bad coverage area" and I can be let out of my contact free of charge for that very reason. So, after all that CRAP and the resistance of two previous CSRs, I will no longer be a VZW customer as of this coming weekend. Not ONCE did any of the representatives tell me they were sorry to hear I wanted to cancel, yada yada, they didn’t offer ANY other solutions, it was basically a “Do it! You won’t!” scenario. I can safely say, I have never been treated so poorly by a company in my life---and I'm a professional person. I would NEVER start off with a bad attitude, etc. I always start professional and friendly and that clearly was not even appreciated by Verizon Wireless.

So, I'm going to Sprint, I don't care if I have to use foil to get cell service, it's almost $100 cheaper than what I'm paying now, and I won't be giving my money to a company that doesn't value it's customers---the reason they are in business.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,714,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
After this weekend, I will never ever have a Verizon service as long as I'm on this Earth! I was the original author of this thread. Over the weekend, I decided to see how much it would be to cancel my contract. I have a Family Share Plan and want to cancel 2 of the 5 lines and one of the other folks on the plan will be the primary line. Well...I called customer service and was told that it would be $300 to cancel my line and $125 to cancel the other line. $125 is acceptable...$300 is NOT. I was told that my contract was signed after Verizon's “new termination fees” took effect. I asked the CSR when Verizon's "new termination fees" took effect company wide, he had no answer, and said, "Well obviously after you signed your contract..." NOT AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER! If you expect ME, the customer to know when these damn fees took effect and an employee of the company DOESN'T...I have BIG problem with that! So I just hung up the phone and went to the Settlers' Ridge Verizon store. HA, mistake #2 of my day. The CSR could NOT have cared less. Got the exact same song and dance from her and she still could not tell me when the "new termination fees" took place! So at this point, my blood is boiling; I decided to call customer service AGAIN. By the grace of God, I got a very efficient CSR. She told me the same termination costs, however she told me that on November 14th, the "new termination fees" took effect. OK! That's fine, you answered my question. Then she proceeded to discover that my home is a "known bad coverage area" and I can be let out of my contact free of charge for that very reason. So, after all that CRAP and the resistance of two previous CSRs, I will no longer be a VZW customer as of this coming weekend. Not ONCE did any of the representatives tell me they were sorry to hear I wanted to cancel, yada yada, they didn’t offer ANY other solutions, it was basically a “Do it! You won’t!” scenario. I can safely say, I have never been treated so poorly by a company in my life---and I'm a professional person. I would NEVER start off with a bad attitude, etc. I always start professional and friendly and that clearly was not even appreciated by Verizon Wireless.

So, I'm going to Sprint, I don't care if I have to use foil to get cell service, it's almost $100 cheaper than what I'm paying now, and I won't be giving my money to a company that doesn't value it's customers---the reason they are in business.
Verizon started charging a higher ETF on advanced devices (pda/smart phones) around the launch of the Droid last November.

Last edited by TechieTransplant; 06-01-2010 at 06:53 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,557,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Verizon started charging a higher ETF on advanced devices (pda/smart phones) around the launch of the Droid last November.
And that's fine...but wouldn't ya know that two representatives could not tell me that information! They expected me, the customer to just automatically know that, and they, who work for the company didn't have a clue and didn't even try to find out. Yes, I signed the contact, yes I'm responsible, but when VZW's own employees cannot answer a question regarding my contact... <---- My thoughts exactly!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:21 PM

911 posts, read 2,378,047 times
most of the people that work for verizon are a bunch of idiots. and there customer service sucks too. if you have to call them good luck, you will go through countless switchbords b4 you get to some one in india that dont understand a word you say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh