Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,051,173 times

Advertisements

Here is a little blog post on a study of recent housing price patterns, which divided the different U.S. markets into four categories:

Boom/Bust
No-Boom/Bust
Boom/No-Bust
No-Boom/No-Bust

Here is an associated map:

Not surprisingly, Pittsburgh is in the No-Boom/No-Bust category.

I also think it is interesting to note we are right between a big patch of No-Boom/Bust (the economically distressed parts of Michigan and northern Ohio which, among other things, have been hammered by the decline of the automotive industry) and a patch of mixed Boom/Bust and Boom/No-Bust (the East Coast, which experienced a big runup in prices, and then only some areas crashed, and even many of those crash markets remain much higher in price than Pittsburgh).

Thinking about the recent data indicating a spike in net domestic migration to the Pittsburgh area, I don't think it is implausible we could be seeing people moving from both of these nearby patches: people from Michigan/Ohio looking for a more healthy economy, and people from the East Coast looking for lower and/or less volatile home prices.

Edit: Link to the blog post:

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2010/...nomics+Blog%29

Last edited by BrianTH; 03-31-2010 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:38 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,245,669 times
Great map!

Interesting too the 'no bust' areas...I've been noticing that as well. Particularly the Northwest, the housing prices just aren't going down, despite people not having the wages to pay for it. The northeast is interesting as well - does that include Philadelphia? Can't really tell from the map.

Michigan is kind of funny! No boom (or modest one)...and still a bust

Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,051,173 times
I edited to add the blog post and also changed to a bigger map.

Anyhoo, it looks to me like Philly might have made it into the boom/no-bust category, which sounds about right to me.

Incidentally, if you go through the linked blog post to the underlying study, it looks like NYC just barely slipped into the Boom/Bust category (it was very near the line dividing it from Boom/No-Bust). Generally, from what I have seen in the East Coast the central core areas are mostly in the Boom/No-Bust category, and it is only as you get farther out into the suburbs and exurbs that you see more Boom/Bust areas.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
Great map! I'm not surprised that Eastern PA is booming due to all of the people fleeing the high cost of living boom areas in surrounding states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh