Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:00 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,186,663 times

Advertisements

That mall is dying. It will be dead in a few years barring some miraculous turnaround. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 AM

780 posts, read 1,387,448 times
I concur, the Mall is in disrepair and the infrastructure around it (roads, elevated garage, signage) is horrible, at best. You can't blame them though as I doubt there is much money for improvements with the lack of stores. The previous poster who said they were the manager there is correct, it is a huge mall but, the anchor stores left have "slow" business, at best...Even at Christmas time it is not that crowded in the stores. I work right down the road so I go there on occassion but, it definitely isn't a high end mall. I am just being honest with you.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:08 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,712,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Oh, well how was I supposed to know?
Maybe ask before you not only type one of your irritating posts in all bold but in all caps too.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,058,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Maybe ask before you not only type one of your irritating posts in all bold but in all caps too.
YOU have the option of putting me on ignore. So, my posts must not be too irritating to you.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:48 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,941,951 times
Mall needs A Facelift and some TLC....it has a chance to get better

Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 PM

6 posts, read 26,550 times
The mall manager claims that there are as many stores at Century 3 mall as there are at South Hills Village Mall. Simon bought South Hills Village a few years ago and has since added space to the mall while abandoning its "sister" mall Century 3. It doesnt take a wizard to realize that the non traditional noname oddball stores with paper signs at Century 3 cannot compete with the traditional stores found at South Hills Village, Jeeze, such a stupid comment to make. Todays customers expect traditional mall type stores like Abecrombie, Hollister, Gap, and junior stores, Bannana Republic, 99% that just arient at Century 3 mall. Barnes and Noble sits like a beacon at South Village while Century 3 malls tiny Borders Express Is having their going out of business sale. The mall Is junky, the parking lot is filthy, litter is everywhere and some areas are even closed off. The last traditional mall store that opened at Century 3 mall was Journeys near the food court and that was 2 years ago. The air conditioning Is off in the summer and the heat Is off In the winter at Century 3 mall. Shame on Simon and shame on the mall manager for thinking that South Hills customers are so stupid to believe that Century 3 mall is even trying to compete for customers. Its blatently obvious that Simon wants the Century 3 mall shopper to shop at South Hills Village. The fact that Simon has been trying to sell this mall does not excuse them from attemping to lease and ancor this now troubled center.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,594,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik27pgh View Post
The mall manager claims that there are as many stores at Century 3 mall as there are at South Hills Village Mall. Simon bought South Hills Village a few years ago and has since added space to the mall while abandoning its "sister" mall Century 3. It doesnt take a wizard to realize that the non traditional noname oddball stores with paper signs at Century 3 cannot compete with the traditional stores found at South Hills Village, Jeeze, such a stupid comment to make. Todays customers expect traditional mall type stores like Abecrombie, Hollister, Gap, and junior stores, Bannana Republic, 99% that just arient at Century 3 mall. Barnes and Noble sits like a beacon at South Village while Century 3 malls tiny Borders Express Is having their going out of business sale. The mall Is junky, the parking lot is filthy, litter is everywhere and some areas are even closed off. The last traditional mall store that opened at Century 3 mall was Journeys near the food court and that was 2 years ago. The air conditioning Is off in the summer and the heat Is off In the winter at Century 3 mall. Shame on Simon and shame on the mall manager for thinking that South Hills customers are so stupid to believe that Century 3 mall is even trying to compete for customers. Its blatently obvious that Simon wants the Century 3 mall shopper to shop at South Hills Village. The fact that Simon has been trying to sell this mall does not excuse them from attemping to lease and ancor this now troubled center.
I do blame Simon for letting the mall go to pot, but I can't blame the manager for doing some damage control... there are rumors circulating that the mall is unsafe and that gangs infiltrate the mall, I can assure you and everyone else that those rumors are unfounded.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,186,663 times
It's a shame too. It's such a pretty and interesting mall. Those stairs and balconies at the end are cool as hell. It could be packed if they put some money into the place, fixed the parking lot, got rid of the junky stores, and attracted some big stores which in turn would attract other stuff.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
The biggest problem is the whole mall concept is dying. People don't spend days at the mall anymore. People no longer wander from store to store looking at stuff. People no longer want to walk a mile to get to the store they want, either.

That's why when you hear of a mall being built, it's always the multiplex style, where you have the same number of stores, but in many different buildings that hold 4-6 stores with parking right in front. It's very probably just as big as a old fashioned mall, but you can park in front of the stores you want to go to, and get in and out. Saves time.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,055,596 times
Another part of the problem is that while online shopping is still just a minority percentage of shopping, it is where a lot of the growth is going these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: