Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 06:43 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,112,646 times

Advertisements

The O wasn't just about the food, love it or hate it, it was the whole experience. The huge neon sign, the baskets of fries as big as a small tortoise. Cracks me up when I read critiques of the food, it was a dive, never pretended to be anything else. Just one more piece of Oakland's character and history now lost. If we were able to get our hands on a car when we were teens that's one of the places we always ended up. Sitting on the wall across the street munching on a pile of fries and watching the late night shenanigans that went on outside was theater for us. RIP the Original Hot Dog Shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 06:51 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,090,093 times
Well, I guess Cuban is really interested.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...chase-attempt/

Old 05-21-2020, 07:43 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,330,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

Much like he was trying to buy the Bucs and the Pens?

He did an interview with I think Pat Mcafee and said “they were being too demanding”. I’d wager Cuban has as much interest in saving the O as the Pirates have in spending to try to win a WS.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:26 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,083,769 times
Quote:

I've since heard it did not go through.

I think it was Madden's show, where Cuban was quoted as saying "they were too demanding", or something close to that.

eh, whatever. make it a hookah shop, like right out of Amsterdam, and watch the cha-ching roll in.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,330,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

I think it was Madden's show, where Cuban was quoted as saying "they were too demanding", or something close to that.

eh, whatever. make it a hookah shop, like right out of Amsterdam, and watch the cha-ching roll in.
Cuban luuuvvvvvs the attention. He’s a billionaire. If he wanted the O he’d have the O.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:06 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,090,093 times
Quote:

It will be a chain at some point. Starbucks or the like. Too prime for a local place now. Turn the area into Walnut Street already and be done with it.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:35 AM

Quote:
It will be a chain at some point. Starbucks or the like. Too prime for a local place now. Turn the area into Walnut Street already and be done with it.
well, its pretty nice now. when i was at that school, Forbes Avenue was so dumpy.

I always thought that block long building between Atwood and Meyran had a beautiful facade, although it was so dirty. Its been cleaned some time ago. I think its a very grand, very proud building front. Looks nice...

For an urban campus, Pitt's seems great - but then, I am not familiar with any other urban campuses (Case Western, Columbia, Temple, SUNY Buffalo, etc.) except those in DC.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:11 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,023,625 times
Quote:
There was a hookah bar at Atwood and Bates in an old church. Judging from google streetview it looks like it closed around 2016.

Quote:
well, its pretty nice now. when i was at that school, Forbes Avenue was so dumpy.
The dumpiness had a charm to it, though. I always liked how it was basically on Pitt's campus, yet was also distinct from it. It didn't have that sterile feeling of official campus eateries and stores.

Quote:
For an urban campus, Pitt's seems great - but then, I am not familiar with any other urban campuses (Case Western, Columbia, Temple, SUNY Buffalo, etc.) except those in DC.
Case is more like CMU. It's a more traditional campus layout, somewhat incongruously plopped into an urban area.

I always thought it was funny how Pitt doesn't play to its strengths and promote itself as an urban campus more. There's always pictures of things like the panther statue and clock at the student union, the cathedral lawn, or the fountain across from the main library.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post

The dumpiness had a charm to it, though. I always liked how it was basically on Pitt's campus, yet was also distinct from it. It didn't have that sterile feeling of official campus eateries and stores.

were you around when there was that punk scene in oakland, and on Craig Street? I was too young to experience it, but I always loved those posters on Craig Street advertising shows with bands called "Carsickness" and "Gang of Four". There were people walking around (college students?) draped in black, and i believe with white makeup on their face - or, they avoided the sun, and the black clothing made them LOOK unusually pale, and white.

That fascinated me because it seemed otherworldly, dangerous, dark, mysterious....haha.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 AM

994 posts, read 506,087 times
Quote:

We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh