Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 02:32 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,043,460 times

Advertisements

I don't think it much matters what the primary industry of an old river town was. It could have been steel, glass, coal, the railroads, etc. The point is that most of those industries are no longer active in the towns. Some of the river towns, like McKees Rocks, were built around the railroad. McKeesport existed as a village in the early 1800s, and a borough in 1830s with coal and river commerce the major economy, long before steel came to town in 1870, but most associate it with steel. Natrona, Presston, Vandergrift, and Ford City, among others, were company towns. Places like Kittanning, Greensburg, Uniontown, and Washington were seats of government in the early 1800s, and were on early roads such as the National Road that helped them grow as people moved West. While some of these towns, Beaver included, have stable or even vibrant downtowns, the populations have been in decline since the Depression. One old river town with a great downtown that I haven't seen mentioned here is Sewickley. Another less obvious example is Monongahela, which has a lot going for it. West Newton is up and coming. Coraopolis, Elizabeth, and Freeport, too. Tarentum is stagnant and half empty, but full of potential.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 09-21-2019 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 03:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,002,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
The point is that most of those industries are no longer active in the towns.
We need to keep perspective. As a long time professional FC investor that knows a thing or two, you have to understand things are cyclical. Manufacturing COULD come back for a few reasons.

1. People might do it for a medium wage.
2. Transportation costs might be too great to import at some time.
3. People might demand local goods knowing about global warming, etc. (this is unlikely because the snowflake generation talks a lot, but doesn't do anything to actually help). Keep in mind my last statement in () is a general trend. There are always exceptions to trends, but we are talking about investing and that is trends by masses thinking. Figured I would attempt to educate the..... well everyone but me posting here.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:22 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,236,361 times
Professional football club investor sounds interesting. I like soccer.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:56 PM

615 posts, read 394,816 times
Good article here written in the Pittsburgh quarterly magazine. The population growth estimates earlier in the decade can be traced back to the shale gas jobs.

https://pittsburghquarterly.com/pq-c...g-decline.html

Old 09-21-2019, 09:30 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Professional football club investor sounds interesting. I like soccer.
I think he meant “VC” as in venture capitalist. It would make sense since he’s obviously affluent if he could afford to live in Fox Chapel.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I personally think the river towns, mill towns or whatever you want to call it can be desirable places to live. These downtowns are small, but much like a Carson street in the southside, Liberty Ave in Bloomfield, Butler street in Lawrenceville or deutchtown. Yet these little downtowns remain vacant and underutilized. In growing metros, small town living is a big preference among millennials. Meaning suburbs or exurbs with their own little downtown or business district.

Most likely the impact of being 84 out of 90 in job growth has kept these areas down. It is essentially the same argument with the city you need thousands of new residents every year coming to the region.

If you look at downtown beaver borough, somehow it has remained intact and desirable. In growing metros with lots of jobs. Most satellite towns like beaver are highly desirable and rising in price for younger families. But again 84 out of 90 in job growth limits where growth is in the first place.

Millvale has Pamela’s and a cool hobby shop. I’ve never dined or had a drink at other places. To me, Millvale is what you can have as a perfect balance, enough urban to keep you there, but suburban enough the crime is low and schools are good. I just wish there were more towns stabilized around Pittsburgh the same as beaver. Weirton downtown has a long business district and if it had the growth and money those storefronts will fill up, more restaurants and entertainment venues, but the economy is just not strong enough right now to make it happen.

I mean what other little satellite suburb with a downtown is doing well with high occupancy in its Main Street, etc? Maybe greensburg city? Or Lincoln Ave in Bellevue. I don’t know
Beaver is the county seat of Beaver County. It has an employment base that will always be around.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:45 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,236,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think he meant “VC” as in venture capitalist. It would make sense since he’s obviously affluent if he could afford to live in Fox Chapel.
I’m sticking with FC.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:21 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Beaver is the county seat of Beaver County. It has an employment base that will always be around.
I love Beaver!

Old 09-22-2019, 08:51 AM

994 posts, read 502,837 times
Quote:
Weirton downtown has a long business district and if it had the growth and money those storefronts will fill up,
Doubtful. It would take significant growth for that to happen. Growth would only accelerate suburban sprawl on the eastern edge of the town.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:14 PM

615 posts, read 394,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
But what about Washington, Butler City and Greensburg? I don’t they they are anywhere near as nice as Beaver or stayed anywhere near as stable. Butler is the most disappointing of the bunch especially with the growth in the county overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Doubtful. It would take significant growth for that to happen. Growth would only accelerate suburban sprawl on the eastern edge of the town.
True. But if the gas industry keeps bringing new people to the area it could happen. A lot of people like small town living with vibrant downtowns. All it takes is an influx of new folks. Any of the growing metros you read about have small town suburbs like a Weirton that is highly desirable. Granted Pittsburgh metro is in the doldrums with growth. It probably would be a different story for Weirton and surrounding towns if Pittsburgh was growing at the clip of a Nashville, Grand Rapids or Columbus. I think the Ohio valley is going to have to do it all on its own, maybe with help from the airport area. It can’t rely or wait on Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh