Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
Thanks for the replies but I think my idea might be half baked, but I'm not sure, what do you guys think, would people want to go to a museum or bed and breakfast in an undesirable place like Mckeesport, unless it had a theme to it that would reach a wide audience? If it was just a mansion opened to the public, or a museum that celebrated the history of Mckeesport, would people still want to see it?
There is not much to draw anyone to that area except for the hospital and Penn state. Like uptown kid said all of McKeesport is safe to be in during the day. The problem comes when you start investing money into a house is it going to be there in the morning. There are areas of McKeesport that are nice, Riverview road area, the ward across the Jerome st bridge, the area around Penn state, and the area by the library. Preservation pioneer would be able to direct you to more specific areas than I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 01:57 PM

395 posts, read 488,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There is not much to draw anyone to that area except for the hospital and Penn state. Like uptown kid said all of McKeesport is safe to be in during the day. The problem comes when you start investing money into a house is it going to be there in the morning. There are areas of McKeesport that are nice, Riverview road area, the ward across the Jerome st bridge, the area around Penn state, and the area by the library. Preservation pioneer would be able to direct you to more specific areas than I can.
do you think if it were in a nicer part of Mckeesport I could attract people to the mansion or would the mere mention of Mckeesport probably turn people off to the idea?

Old 10-11-2016, 02:04 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
do you think if it were in a nicer part of Mckeesport I could attract people to the mansion or would the mere mention of Mckeesport probably turn people off to the idea?

Forget the location for a minute...

What is so special about that particular house that people will WANT to come see it?
What is its big draw?

Old 10-11-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Honestly, without offending anyone from McKeesport. I would not invest a penny into a home there unless I was getting the deal of a lifetime. The area has not hit rock bottom like a Braddock has. If I was going to put money into it, I would be looking at doing a flop house or a rent by the week setup for low income people.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:20 PM

395 posts, read 488,556 times
You're probably right. I think I'll travel the distance and go with somewhere more desirable. What idea do you think people would be more willing to get behind since I'll be starting up an organization to fix the place up for me and share the profit with, a mall or an indoor/outdoor flea market?

Old 10-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
You're probably right. I think I'll travel the distance and go with somewhere more desirable. What idea do you think people would be more willing to get behind since I'll be starting up an organization to fix the place up for me and share the profit with, a mall or an indoor/outdoor flea market?
I am not an expert but if I was going to start a market I would find a piece of land and start an outdoor market to see if it has legs. There has been alot of success with organizations that run farmers markets. Maybe try and find one that will partner with you and sell some other items, the cost will be low and you will have instant customers without much marketing. I have found that the biggest key in business is to keep overhead down, if you invest in a mall or indoor space without having some income to pay for it. It will cause alot of sleepless nights. If you pay someone at a farmers market $100 a week for 4 booths and sell some products, you can make a profit right away plus gain some customers for a future expansion. If you are successful and find people are looking for a flea market in that area, you can then look at leasing the space the farmers market is on for a different day or leasing a church parking lot near by or a fire hall.

Sorry for the long post but find a need first then go for it, there are alot of business owners who go all in who are sitting down at the bankruptcy court.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:22 AM

325 posts, read 323,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Honestly, without offending anyone from McKeesport. I would not invest a penny into a home there unless I was getting the deal of a lifetime. The area has not hit rock bottom like a Braddock has. If I was going to put money into it, I would be looking at doing a flop house or a rent by the week setup for low income people.

what's this rent by the week setup you mention?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
what's this rent by the week setup you mention?
It is common in poorer community's, people will rent out a bedroom by the week with a shared bathroom. It is like the YMCA would do in the past.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:47 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
You're talking about the historic Stuckslager Mansion, which has been vacant for many years. This neighborhood is known as Upper Park (there is Upper Park and Lower Park). I think it's an absolute gem. There are quite a few well-maintained homes in this area, but also many that seem to be vacant or abandoned. As far as safety is concerned, it's a depressed urban environment with lots of drugs. I would say it's similar in safety to parts of Braddock or Homestead. That is, liveable, but definitely not Mayberry. If you're like me, you like depressed urban environments where you can buy cheap historic homes, like Detroit, and this is your cup of tea. I live in McKeesport and while the city certainly has some very sketchy areas, I wouldn't hesitate to drive around any of them during the day. McKeesport is a pretty dead place -- you might not even see another person. That's part of the charm, if you ask me. I think you can do anything you set your mind to. I think it's important to follow your dreams. The last I heard, the owners of the Priory were turning the Westinghouse Castle in Wilmerding into a hotel. I'm sure people said, "Who would go to Wilmerding?" And I'm sure they will prove the haters wrong. The thing is, cities don't change unless people take risks, and there are plenty of formerly rough neighborhoods that turned the corner thanks to some pioneers who made investments in property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh