Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:14 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,901,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The majority of younger adults live in the suburbs as well.

And even in the city, most people drive.
Yet the Burgh is a Top 10 city for Transit use in the US ..... ... But No-One uses it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 07:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,267,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yet the Burgh is a Top 10 city for Transit use in the US ..... ... But No-One uses it.
Plenty of people ride public transit, just not the majority. And its a wide majority when one includes the whole metropolitan area.

I'm glad for you since the vast majority of your own personal itinerary are on the bus lines. But that is not the case with most folks out there.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,923,210 times
Quote:
Plenty of people ride public transit, just not the majority. And its a wide majority when one includes the whole metropolitan area.

I'm glad for you since the vast majority of your own personal itinerary are on the bus lines. But that is not the case with most folks out there.
https://www.city-data.com/top2/h32.html

Old 11-04-2015, 07:31 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,602,992 times
Quote:
That's really not even close to the same thing as saying that most folks don't benefit from transit. For example, there are plenty of people who work in Oakland but do not live near a bus line. If they think they don't benefit from the bus, they should try to watch the crowds getting off the 61s and 71s every morning and try to picture the traffic and parking situation if all those people were driving.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:09 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,049,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
The problem with the P1/P2 is the Downtown Traffic and their Loop.... However if you bring the West Busway downtown.. The P1 can become a Crosstown BRT using Liberty Ave as its Downtown connector .... The Only stops the P1 and any other Busway routes would make downtown would be Stanwix and Liberty ( near the old Gateway Center "T") .... Wood Street "T" ..... Liberty/10th/William Penn .... Penn Station .. That's it no other stops Downtown. Time the lights on Liberty so they're coordinated. Leave P2 as a Downtown only, The East Busway needs shorter headways than the West does.
I've been trying to figure out how the proposed downtown bus loop model would work. Presumably it would keep all buses on Liberty, Boulevard of the Allies, and Grant - the three widest streets which could most handle the bus traffic. But I can't see how left turns could be eliminated. If you construct the main circulator so it only has right turns (eg, right from Grant to Blvd of the Allies, right from Blvd of the Allies to Liberty via Stanwix, and right from Liberty onto Grant) then all turns into or out of town would have to be left-hand. On the other hand, you could set up the circulator the opposite way, which would allow the turns into/out of town to be right handed, but then the circulator turns at the main intersections would all be lefts.

I think these difficulties are why it's been two years and nothing major has been done to reroute the city bus routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
The list only covers buses and bus-like things obviously. That said, IIRC Pittsburgh is still (barely) within the top 10 nationwide for mass transit use when only core cities are considered.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:36 AM

175 posts, read 168,498 times
Big gap in the Montour Trail completed:

Biking with Larry Walsh: Final gap filled for Montour Trail in Washington County | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In the past several years the trail has really undergone some major improvements in Washington County. In addition to this huge gap, we have seen brand new bridges at Morganza and Georgetown Roads, a new bridge (maybe still under construction?) over Valleybrook Road, a new bridge over the creek which avoids a dangerous section of Valleybrook to connect to Arrowhead in Peters, a newly refurbished Library Viaduct, the rehabbing of the high level bridge and tunnel in Peters Township, a new bridge in Bethel Park, AND the opening of the Westland Branch.

While a handful of years ago this trail only existed in segments, you will now be able to bike from Library to Moon/Coraopolis. There are a few more abandoned branches that need to be converted, the Coraopolis end will reach its terminus as soon as they start building that new park along 51, which leaves the remaining sections in Library and South Park to connect to the GAP in Clairton. The Montour also connects to the Panhandle in McDonald which sadly lacks the complete connection to Carnegie and I do not believe there are plans to ever make that happen.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,990,475 times
As for something that's actually realistic, I'd love to see "bike inclines" put in on some of our major hilly arteries. This is something that could be piloted for less than a million.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:07 AM

175 posts, read 168,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
As for something that's actually realistic, I'd love to see "bike inclines" put in on some of our major hilly arteries. This is something that could be piloted for less than a million.
What's your ideal location for a pilot project?

Old 11-04-2015, 09:25 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,990,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
What's your ideal location for a pilot project?
Although it wouldn't benefit me that much, I think that Joncaire or Bates in Oakland would be good locations that would see lots of use.

Personally I'd love for some on Brighton road or McClure. One that takes you from Mairdale up to the main loop of Riverview Park would be nice too. There's no sidewalk along that access road and with the Davis Avenue Bridge still missing it's pretty inaccessible from the western half of the north side.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:54 AM

814 posts, read 1,151,297 times
While we're on this vein, I wish there were a more convincing connection between the western trails (Montour/Panhandle) and the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh