Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:55 AM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 626,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
To be honest, all this shows is the amount of poverty in our city limits. Lets face it, we have way more poverty than other cities like San Francisco. Heck, even NYC has way less poverty than just back in the 90's. Pittsburgh has not grown. Having this much poverty is such a drag on schools, infrastructure and more because there is no money. You can't tax the working people too much or they will flee to suburbs.
that's what happens when your entire manufacturing base gets shipped overseas or automated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,014,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
To be honest, all this shows is the amount of poverty in our city limits. Lets face it, we have way more poverty than other cities like San Francisco. Heck, even NYC has way less poverty than just back in the 90's. Pittsburgh has not grown. Having this much poverty is such a drag on schools, infrastructure and more because there is no money. You can't tax the working people too much or they will flee to suburbs.
Yep, when I think low tax havens, I think NYC and San Francisco.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:54 AM

68 posts, read 84,563 times
You may be able to find an "affordable" house in Pittsburgh with an annual income of $32,000, but it certainly won't be in a desirable neighborhood with quality public schools. Property and school taxes are very high in areas with the best schools. It seems that many first-time borrowers are not looking at the total cost of ownership.

In my opinion, a borrower(s) with 1-2 children in the Pittsburgh area will need to earn at least 75-100K a year or more to afford a house in "good" school district and at least $125-150K or higher to afford a house an area with the top performing public schools.

There may be a few exceptions, but overall if you're not earning six figures or more, chances are that your child will be attending either a mediocre or subpar public school.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'll either be able to buy something SUPER cheap needing quite a bit of work in Spring 2016 or buy something more to my liking in Spring 2017---assuming housing prices don't rise too quickly by then.
If the property that you purchase is unlikely to increase in value, then you might as well be throwing your money away. You would be better off renting or moving to a less expensive area.

I do not foresee property and wage taxes ever DECREASING in the city or surround suburbs.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:11 AM

32,629 posts, read 77,826,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfds View Post
If the property that you purchase is unlikely to increase in value, then you might as well be throwing your money away. You would be better off renting or moving to a less expensive area.

I do not foresee property and wage taxes ever DECREASING in the city or surround suburbs.
Not everyone buys a home in their 20s or 30s so they can cash in and raid it as a "piggy bank" upon retirement. Some of us still buy homes NON-speculatively---just to have, you know, that old-fashioned purpose of SHELTER.

The way I see it is if I buy a home at age 30 and take out a fixed 15-year mortgage, then at age 45 I'll no longer have to worry about mortgage OR rent payments and can sock that money away into aggressive investment options to then provide a more comfortable retirement at age 65. I don't care if the home I bought for $50,000 in 2016 is only worth $60,000 in 2056.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:20 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,588,053 times
Quote:
You may be able to find an "affordable" house in Pittsburgh with an annual income of $32,000, but it certainly won't be in a desirable neighborhood with quality public schools. Property and school taxes are very high in areas with the best schools. It seems that many first-time borrowers are not looking at the total cost of ownership.

In my opinion, a borrower(s) with 1-2 children in the Pittsburgh area will need to earn at least 75-100K a year or more to afford a house in "good" school district and at least $125-150K or higher to afford a house an area with the top performing public schools.

There may be a few exceptions, but overall if you're not earning six figures or more, chances are that your child will be attending either a mediocre or subpar public school.

Most households don't have kids. I believe the statistic is that 80% of households in Pgh DO NOT have children under 18 years old.

19% of Allegheny County's population is under 18. 5% is under 5 year old. That means that only 14% is in school. Account for multiple children per household and I bet 85% of houses don't have school age kids.

Not everybody with kids can live in the area with the "best schools." That would make it impossible to have best, average and worst schools if all were "the best."

The article is about being able to buy a house, not being able to make 32k a year and to afford the most desirable part of a large metro region.

People making 32k household income are not looking to buy a house in Mt Lebo or Fox Chapel. They are happy to own a home and have time to do things other than work.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,953,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
People making 32k household income are not looking to buy a house in Mt Lebo or Fox Chapel. They are happy to own a home and have time to do things other than work.

Simply not true. Both Sharpsburg and Blawnox offer home ownership opportunities for families with this amount of income.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Not everyone buys a home in their 20s or 30s so they can cash in and raid it as a "piggy bank" upon retirement. Some of us still buy homes NON-speculatively---just to have, you know, that old-fashioned purpose of SHELTER.

The way I see it is if I buy a home at age 30 and take out a fixed 15-year mortgage, then at age 45 I'll no longer have to worry about mortgage OR rent payments and can sock that money away into aggressive investment options to then provide a more comfortable retirement at age 65. I don't care if the home I bought for $50,000 in 2016 is only worth $60,000 in 2056.
Assuming 3% down and taking out a 15-year loan for $50,000 at today's rates you could still easily spend $20,000 in interest by the time the loan is paid off. If the house depreciates in value then you will have taken a loss on your investment.

Now take into consideration property, school and wage taxes for the city and also PMI insurance if you have less than 20% for a down payment. Add all of that to your $400-500 a month loan payment and you may realize that buying is not always cheaper than renting.

Taking out a mortgage for a house that is unlikely to appreciate in value is a bad financial risk, especially if the house is located in an economically depressed area. That $50,000 home that you purchased today might be worth only $30,000 in 10-20 years. On the other hand, it may be worth the risk if you could pay in cash instead of borrowing.

Last edited by jfds; 03-10-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 01:12 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,571,081 times
Quote:
Assuming 3% down and taking out a 15-year loan for $50,000 at today's rates you could still easily spend $20,000 in interest by the time the loan is paid off. If the house depreciates in value then you will have taken a loss on your investment.

Now take into consideration property, school and wage taxes for the city and also PMI insurance if you have less than 20% for a down payment. Add all of that to your $400-500 a month loan payment and you may realize that buying is not always cheaper than renting.

Taking out a mortgage for a house that is unlikely to appreciate in value is a bad financial risk, especially if the house is located in an economically depressed area. That $50,000 home today could be worth $20,000 in 10-20 years. On the other hand, it may be worth the risk if you could pay in cash instead of borrowing.
You pay those taxes whether you rent or buy. Landlords aren't taking a loss on their property.

And rents increase over time. A $450 rent 25 years ago is easily 3 to 4 times that amount today.

As for risk in buying in a depressed area, you're right.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Most households don't have kids. I believe the statistic is that 80% of households in Pgh DO NOT have children under 18 years old.

The article is about being able to buy a house, not being able to make 32k a year and to afford the most desirable part of a large metro region.

As I mentioned before, it doesn't make good financial sense to borrow money for a house that is unlikely to appreciate in value. You are likely to end up throwing your money away.

$32,000 a year salary is barely more than minimum wage. I seriously doubt there are many borrowers who qualify for a mortgage at this income level. The writers of that article are probably not taking into consider the very high property, school and wage taxes for the Pittsburgh metro.

No one should take on the financial responsibility of buying a house until they can really afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh