Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,789 times

Advertisements

As of now, I'm mainly looking for some preliminary information. There are still a lot of unknowns. So far, this forum has been a wealth of information.

My wife and I are moving to Pittsburgh from New Orleans sometime this summer. She's starting a PhD program at Duquesne in the Fall and I'm looking for work as an Electrical Engineer (I'm graduating with my B.S in EE, in about a month). We have a cat and no children.

Two main caveats:
-We probably will not be able to visit before we move as we're trying to save money for the move itself.
-We're unsure of our rental budget because my job situation is presently one of the aforementioned unknowns (i'm looking for work).

Here's where we stand:
We're looking into some of the less desirable ("desirable" meaning places like Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, etc.) for apartments because we'd like a two bedroom with a decent sized kitchen and laundry hook/ups within 15 miles of Duquesne. A basement or garage is preferable. Are there any areas that come to mind where I can get something like that in the $700/mo. range?

From browsing these forums the past few weeks, it seems Wilkinsburg is one of the places to avoid (really, how is the crime compared to New Orleans?). In other areas, from what I understand, there are pockets of racism (Brentwood?). Being hispanic, married to a white female, I'd like to avoid those areas as well. Aside not wanting to be around racists, I have no racial or cultural preferences in a community. What are some other areas I should all out avoid?

Example:
One property management company I found on craigslist is Regent Square Rentals. They seem to have some nicely sized units (for the price) in North Baldwin (near the end of Evelyn Rd). Is there anything I should know about that area? Does anyone have experience with Regent Square Rentals?

Sorry for the long first post. I appreciate any insight you could provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,920,320 times
Take a look in Brookline. We have great diversity, the Blvd is undergoing a major reconstruction right now, and a some great places to eat. The price is lower than any of the safe neighborhoods because we are not in the East End and the rest of the city barely knows that we exist. I used to commute to Pitt in less than 15 mins, and Duquense is closer. I know of people who rent entire houses for $900 a month, so you could def get an apartment in Brookline for $700.00.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times
Amazing how tarnished Brentwood's reputation is... national infamy!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,789 times
@PghYinzer: Thank you for the recommendation. It sound like a great area. I'll definitely be looking there.

@Evergrey: Lol, perhaps. I'm not writing off Brentwood completely (same goes for Wilkinsburg), but it's the kind of situation that I'd like to experience firsthand before locking myself into a 6-12 month lease.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by av504 View Post
As of now, I'm mainly looking for some preliminary information. There are still a lot of unknowns. So far, this forum has been a wealth of information.

My wife and I are moving to Pittsburgh from New Orleans sometime this summer. She's starting a PhD program at Duquesne in the Fall and I'm looking for work as an Electrical Engineer (I'm graduating with my B.S in EE, in about a month). We have a cat and no children.

Two main caveats:
-We probably will not be able to visit before we move as we're trying to save money for the move itself.
-We're unsure of our rental budget because my job situation is presently one of the aforementioned unknowns (i'm looking for work).

Here's where we stand:
We're looking into some of the less desirable ("desirable" meaning places like Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, etc.) for apartments because we'd like a two bedroom with a decent sized kitchen and laundry hook/ups within 15 miles of Duquesne. A basement or garage is preferable. Are there any areas that come to mind where I can get something like that in the $700/mo. range?
Yes, many places are in that range. For the city, I'd suggest Greenfield, Lawrenceville, Beechview (Pittsburgh's highest percentage of Hispanics, a weak 10-15%), Brookline. They are all urban and dense, and all have good public transportation. For the suburbs, Dormont, Crafton, Bellevue. There aren't tons and tons of rentals in Pittsburgh's suburbs.

Quote:
From browsing these forums the past few weeks, it seems Wilkinsburg is one of the places to avoid (really, how is the crime compared to New Orleans?). In other areas, from what I understand, there are pockets of racism (Brentwood?). Being hispanic, married to a white female, I'd like to avoid those areas as well. Aside not wanting to be around racists, I have no racial or cultural preferences in a community. What are some other areas I should all out avoid?
Trust me, you do NOT want Wilkinsburg. There is a small section on the east side of the busway that is nice now, but its not in your price range. The rest of Wilkinsburg is rundown, dangerous, and not safe whatsoever.

Brentwood gets a bad reputation, but I think the racism is mostly towards African Americans. Its a nice, dense suburb right out of the city with a low crime rate and nice town center. Worth a look.

Quote:
Example:
One property management company I found on craigslist is Regent Square Rentals. They seem to have some nicely sized units (for the price) in North Baldwin (near the end of Evelyn Rd). Is there anything I should know about that area? Does anyone have experience with Regent Square Rentals?

Sorry for the long first post. I appreciate any insight you could provide.
I'm not familiar with that location of Baldwin. Uptown Kid might know more about that area. He seems to have a good grasp on many of the apartment complexes in Allegheny County.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Add Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg to your list of possibilities.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Take a look in Brookline. We have great diversity, the Blvd is undergoing a major reconstruction right now, and a some great places to eat. The price is lower than any of the safe neighborhoods because we are not in the East End and the rest of the city barely knows that we exist. I used to commute to Pitt in less than 15 mins, and Duquense is closer. I know of people who rent entire houses for $900 a month, so you could def get an apartment in Brookline for $700.00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Yes, many places are in that range. For the city, I'd suggest Greenfield, Lawrenceville, Beechview (Pittsburgh's highest percentage of Hispanics, a weak 10-15%), Brookline. They are all urban and dense, and all have good public transportation. For the suburbs, Dormont, Crafton, Bellevue. There aren't tons and tons of rentals in Pittsburgh's suburbs.

Trust me, you do NOT want Wilkinsburg. There is a small section on the east side of the busway that is nice now, but its not in your price range. The rest of Wilkinsburg is rundown, dangerous, and not safe whatsoever.

Brentwood gets a bad reputation, but I think the racism is mostly towards African Americans. Its a nice, dense suburb right out of the city with a low crime rate and nice town center. Worth a look.

I'm not familiar with that location of Baldwin. Uptown Kid might know more about that area. He seems to have a good grasp on many of the apartment complexes in Allegheny County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Add Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg to your list of possibilities.
^ All solid advice for potential locations. I would also add Polish Hill, Bloomfield, Friendship, Morningside, and Stanton Heights to the mix. $700/month for a 2-BR would be tough in any of these neighborhoods, but occasionally a deal or two will creep up.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ All solid advice for potential locations. I would also add Polish Hill, Bloomfield, Friendship, Morningside, and Stanton Heights to the mix. $700/month for a 2-BR would be tough in any of these neighborhoods, but occasionally a deal or two will creep up.
Yeah that's why I left those out. Although my girlfriend found one in SH off Murray (2 bedroom) a few months ago for 550$

Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Beechview is a great choice since your wife is going to Duquense. It's one of the only city neighborhoods which actually has a light rail line going right through it which heads downtown. If she got off at Steel Plaza, there would be a 2-4 block walk to the edge of the Duquesne campus.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Beechview is a great choice since your wife is going to Duquense. It's one of the only city neighborhoods which actually has a light rail line going right through it which heads downtown. If she got off at Steel Plaza, there would be a 2-4 block walk to the edge of the Duquesne campus.
Only problem (one that I face frequently) is the crossing at 6th/Forbes/Crosstown. That's a pain in the butt with no crosswalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh