Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM

106 posts, read 218,217 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Apparently my fiance thinks we need to spend a bunch of $$ on some sappy pictures... So I'm looking to tap your collective wisdom for possible locations.

Does anyone have any great ideas or maybe you have seen some fantastic pictures of some friends or family? (No Grandview/other overlooks) More interested in interesting/beautiful architecture, indoor or outdoor. She's likes turn of the last century, William Penn-esque gaudy places. I like the industrial/aged look, but not too rusted/decayed.

Time of year would be mid-march... what do you think? (thanks!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM

812 posts, read 1,906,980 times
I have seen some pics of the couple walking down the streets of Shadyside and lot's of bridal pics at the columns near UPitt can't remember the name of the building. I think down on the north shore would be nice along the water or next to PPG place with all the reflections from the glass

Good luck! Have you tried looking at local photog websites for samples?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
lot's of bridal pics at the columns near UPitt can't remember the name of the building.
That would be the Mellon Institute Building along Fifth Avenue between Bellefield & Dithridge (across from Webster Hall). I, too, have often seen bridal parties on the steps in front of those massive columns. I think that building is also prominently featured in the upcoming Batman movie.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 PM

I would love to have my photos taken overlooking the city's skyline via one of Grandview Avenue's overlooks, but then again I'm an oddball. I also don't ever foresee myself being legally able to wed here in our "red" state, but that's for a different discussion.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 PM

377 posts, read 651,904 times
I highly recommend Chris Gooden. I have had a few friends use him now and his stuff is great. My friend's engagement pictures were especially good. He will shoot all kinds of places-strip, downtown, north shore, etc. His website is Christopher Gooden, Photographer

Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
As someone who has done many dozens of weddings, I can tell you that some of the obvious indoor places will make you pay for the privilege of using their space. Engagement pics don't have to be too fancy, so I really don't see the point of spending a lot of money on them. Save the money for the wedding pics, you'll need it! If you don't try to set up lights, you might get away with doing pics on the ground floor of the Cathedral of Learning, especially if you do it during spring break, or on a Sunday. South Side Works doesn't allow photography, and neither do any of the indoor malls.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
We used Studio Bash, and would highly recommend them. They do an engagement shoot for free if you use them to shoot your wedding. It's a casual shoot where they hang out with you and drive to whatever places you pick.

For a recommendation of a place, we got some good shots that your fiancee might like walking around in the Mexican War Streets.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I've seen a few couples with Steelers and Pens jerseys on in their engagement photos on Facebook. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
LOL I think your fiance is smart. When we were engaged my mom-in-law wanted photos and I thought that was a silly thing to do. Now that I'm a lot older and about to retire, I'm really glad we took those photos. They bring back good memories, and you will never be more attractive than you are right before a wedding. There's an energy and even a sparkle in a couple about to be married. Believe me, you really will enjoy looking back on those photos when you're older.

I like photos in front of fountains, so here are some suggestions. These might be too "traditional" for you, but they would be pretty shots (assuming of course that these fountains are still operating, some of them I haven't seen for years).

1. Gateway Center fountains

2. Oxford Center Fountain

3. Allegheny County Courthouse.

4. Steel Plaza fountain would make a really cool shot.

5. How about posing near that really abstract sculpture at Mellon Square? That cascading fountain at Mellon Square might make an interesting background too, although I'm not sure how you'd get in front of it.

6. There's a neat looking rock wall fountain in a courtyard near Dominion Tower

7. Sometimes office parks are great spots for a formal photo. If you go on a weekend, you can spend your time setting up a shot without having dozens of other people milling around. I'm sure the Pittsburgh area has a few spots like the photo below, which is just an office park next to an AT&T Building. For the purposes of the closeup photo, a spot like this has a lot of possibility.

Or, here's one with cherry trees since that's what you'll have in March. Looks mundane in this photo, but it would be a nice backdrop for a photo of a couple.

If you want a non-traditional shot, how about bride and groom in wedding attire playing tennis? Or golfing?

Last edited by Caladium; 02-16-2012 at 07:35 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 AM

Wow, Caladium! You know a lot more about Pittsburgh than most Pittsburghers! You should consider retiring up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh