Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM

180 posts, read 702,386 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any recommendations for daycare in the south/western suburbs? I do not like the place I currently have my 7 month old enrolled but am new to the area so don't know where else to try. I don't want to pull her in and out of a dozen places. I am on a wait list for 2 Tender Care locations and have called a few other Naeyc and Keystone Stars programs but would also like some recommendations based on personal experience.

I work on Route 60- right off I-79 in Robinson Twp, but would also consider anything in Kennedy Twp, Crafton, Mt Lebo/Scott Twp areas as well.

What I don't like about the current place: I'm not sure its a "learning" environment. They seem more like babysitters. There are too many TVs!!!! They are on in the infant room when I drop her off and the toddler room when I pick her up. The staff didn't know you are not supposed to have any blankets in the crib with an infant. I saw one infant getting a bottle fed to him by propping it up on his chest with a blanket and he was only 10 weeks old. I also think they are understaffed; my daughter has been bitten twice in just a few weeks time and I think she's placed with kids that are too old for her late in the day.

Any suggestions or places you have had good experiences with would be much appreciated!!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 PM

377 posts, read 652,556 times
That daycare sounds terrible. I really hope you find a new one soon! Sorry I don't have any suggestions in your area. My daughter goes to daycare in West View at Small Dreams Learning Center and we love it. You can tell they care about the kids. I did have to switch her out of her first one though when she was a very young infant---always in a swing with no one holding her even if she was the only baby there. Grrr.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Thanks, yes I am definitely switching. Wish I knew someone who did in home care but I'd really have to have a personal recommendation for that. Without it I have to stick to the Keystone Stars or NAEYC certified programs I guess.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,677,312 times
A co-worker of mine used the Tender Care just off of Route 60 and 79 (is that Kennedy or Robinson there?), and loved it for her kids. If that's one of the Tender Cares you are on the list for, her experience was positive.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Thanks Tinare. I'm on the waiting list for that one. Would love a spot to open up soon as I work right across the street. Got her into the McCandless one for now. Feel sooooo much better even if its a bit out of the way, at least I know its a safe and learning environment for her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: