Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 PM

571 posts, read 1,933,515 times

Advertisements

I wanted to see what others thought of my photography.. if it's good enough to be a semi-professional (like $100 session in the park with the kids for the Christmas cards type) I don't know if I am really any good or if my daughter is blinding me with her cuteness LOL I know I definitely need a few classes first, and to learn all of the settings. I want to do pregnancy, birth, newborn, breastfeeding, family and first birthday photo shoots. I have gotten good feedback from other local moms. I'm not expecting to make a fortune or anything - hopefully a few hundred a month would be great to help support me being a stay at home mom.

Some of my favorites - Brittany Sanchez Photography - a set on Flickr

A photoshoot I did with my old point & shoot camera - First Birthday Photoshoot - a set on Flickr

None of these have been edited (except the obviously photoshopped one with the fairy I used for my daughter's party invitations)

I know the lighting and settings could be better and I hope to be able to improve all that with training. I guess I am mostly looking for what others think of the composition itself.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,904,642 times
You have potential but you need to learn more about light, depth of field, exposure, and post processing. All images should be edited, even if it's just a bit of sharping. Are you shooting manual, auto, or partial auto modes? Composition is not hugely important with portraits - it's not unimportant but it's not of top priority in my opinion. Portraits should prioritize lighting, exposure, and sharpness.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
You have a cute daughter but you need to practice more.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM

13,233 posts, read 21,853,680 times
Comps are generally pretty good! IMHO, composition is extremely important. Anyone can point a modern camera at a scene and take a technically good shot. The photographer's added value is to use posing and composition to create a compelling portrait. Otherwise, you're just taking snapshots.

What I see you doing correctly here is getting down to the kid's level, and using negative space effectively and offsetting your subject in enough of your shots that I can see it's no accident. I don't know if you've studied composition or if you just have a natural intuition for it, but you're off to a good start.

I would build your business slowly and not get ahead of yourself. Learn your camera and how to take pictures in challenging conditions like direct sunlight, shade, backlighting, etc. Learn how to use flash in those scenarios to balance light and add catchlights in your subjects eyes. Do some free work for your friends to build up your portfolio. See what works best from one shoot to another and use that info to develop your personal style. Once you develop a good portfolio and are confident that you can do consistent work in all sorts of conditions, only then should you think about charging money for your product. There's nothing worse than letting bad pictures out with your name on them, especially if folks have paid for them. Control your product carefully and only let your clients and potential customers see excellent work and you will develop a great reputation. There are tons of successful photographers out there who started out like this and there's no reason you can't do it too.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,060,023 times
Right now you just have ordinary snap shots. I think you do have a good sense of composition and that is one of the most important parts of a good portrait. You are all over the place with lighting so you will need to learn not only how light works but how to manipulate it. That doesn't mean you have to invest thousands of dollars into equipment. Learn to use what you have. There is a lot of equipment out there that makes things easier. But unless you know what those things are they are useless to you.

When you have the experience you can think about charging. even if this is a part time thing for you you will need a business license, liability insurance, etc... all that fun stuff that goes with having a small business no matter what you are selling.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 PM

571 posts, read 1,933,515 times
Thank you all so much for your feedback! I definitely plan to take multiple classes and workshops before doing anything. And then as mentioned above do some free photo shoots for friends. I am part of a local mom's group with over 1,000 members (where some other photographers have done the exact same thing) so I have plenty of opportunity to get some practice and gain some exposure there.

I did study photography in high school and loved the class. (Film photography & darkroom) I always loved it but didn't know how to apply it professionally so it was just a little hobby. The passion came back once I had my daughter and I realized what I loved taking pictures of was kids and families.

This is my first DSLR and I just got it a few months ago. Most of these were taken on vacations on auto settings. I haven't had the chance yet to really play around with manual settings and re-learn everything I studied previously. I'm excited to delve in though!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,476,200 times
No.

Looking at the EXIF data you are shooting in auto mode. Until one masters manual mode they shouldn't even think about charging someone. Once you have mastered manual you will understand why your photos aren't working right now, why you need to use more than a kit lens, the advantages to editing, and why you need to stop using the popup flash.

Only once you understand all of those should you even consider starting a business. Its harsh but the truth. I've seen too many fall into the trap of cheap photography only to have their memories ruined by a bad photographer. Furthermore, you are undercutting those that work their butts of to be professional photographers.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM

106,831 posts, read 109,073,990 times
Nice shots but far from marketable at this point.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Tasksgirl

You have some good shots:
IMG_0826 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1362 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1394 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pretty good:
IMG_1758 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Real bad lighting... From behind the subject.
IMG_3452 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You have a good camera (Canon T3i) but you really need to learn how to use it. Basic photography classes will help. Maybe some local photo clubs/groups. Practice.

Some books, check out some books in the library...

I also have the T3i, I bought this book from Amazon which covers the camera very well: David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Guide to Digital SLR Photography, 1st ed.: Busch: Amazon.com: Kindle Store and I notice it is on sale...

Quote:
if it's good enough to be a semi-professional (like $100 session in the park with the kids for the Christmas cards type)
I was a professional photographer a few times over the years. I have loved photography for over 50 years, but just for fun...

Shooting for money is not a bad idea, but we usually do some volunteer work. My wife and I shot this video with two cameras, a Canon SX40 and T3i:

Fiesta of Cultures, "La Bamba" Performed by Mariachi Villegas, Coronado State Monument - YouTube

Good luck to you!

Rich

Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,578,883 times
To give a specific example; this photo the composition is great but the flower on the knit hat encroaches on her face which I find distracting. Depth of field is either lacking or the focus point was metered incorrectly. You can tell this by how clear the detail is on her fingers yet the dots on her left shoulder are fuzzy: IMG_1108 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography