Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2007, 02:03 PM

8 posts, read 97,551 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I might be getting a job as an A&P at phoenix intl. Been looking at maps on where to get an apartment that i wouldnt have to commute too far.
What is a good area to live where i dont have to commute too far but the crime rate is relatively safe. Since i live in Florida right now im used to completly flat areas (which i tired of), wondering what area might also have some terrain (basically a view if possible) I used to live in San Diego when i was younger and loved the way houses are built on sides of mountains or hills. Any apartment complexes that might have this type of terrain?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 05:07 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
There are several new apartment complexes near the Tempe / Phoenix border -- along Washington and Van Buren in the vicinity of Center Parkway, Priest Drive, 52nd St., etc. Those would be a five or 10 minute drive from the airport and also situated along the light rail line currently under construction, allowing an easy way to get to either downtown Phoenix or downtown Tempe.

Apartment complexes built on hills are rare since most significant mountains are protected as part of the Phoenix Mountains Preserve. Still, some of the areas mentioned above might give you a view of the Papago Buttes.

Other possibilities include Arcadia, which would be a short commute to the airport via 44th St. and might offer views of Camelback Mountain or Piestewa Peak, and the new apartment communities along Baseline Rd. from 24th St. to I-10, which would offer views of South Mountain.

If you want a view as if you were on top of a mountain, rather than a view of a mountain, then your best option is probably the various high-rise condos under construction in downtown Tempe. Those are pretty expensive, however, and probably not available as rentals.

Last edited by exit2lef; 02-14-2007 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-15-2007, 02:29 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,829 times
Great advice from Silverbear. The Van Buren/Priest area was the first area I thought of as well. I moved here from San Diego and I waited 2 months to get my apartment on a slight hillside with wraparound mountain views. It can be done! Remember: pick the top floor.

Most of the areas around the airport are NOT attractive. The airport sits on the banks of the perenially dry Salt River and there are many industrial areas around it. The area south of the river is a mixed bag as well. Further south in Phoenix towards South Mountain is a good choice too. Your commute would involve city streets and would avoid the very heavy traffic on I-10 going east and west. I think it would be easy to access the airport from there. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:36 PM

Hey thanks for the tips
I took your advise and looked around van buren/south mountain. South mountain area looked pretty nice and its not too far south of the airport.
I found some decent apartments S Pointe Pkwy, how is that area? Is it low on crime?
Thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger640 View Post
Hey thanks for the tips
I took your advise and looked around van buren/south mountain. South mountain area looked pretty nice and its not too far south of the airport.
I found some decent apartments S Pointe Pkwy, how is that area? Is it low on crime?
Thanks
That's near a resort called the Pointe South Mountain. It's a pretty upscale area with nice scenery and good hiking opportunities. I'm not 100% sure about crime there. It's not a blighted area with gangs and graffiti, but burglaries are not unheard of there (or anywhere else in the area). I think it would be okay, but you'll want to exercise normal urban precautions in terms of keeping doors locked and paying for an alarm service if available.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I might be getting a job as an A&P at phoenix intl.
By the way, I didn't think of this when I first replied, but the airport here is seldom known as "Phoenix International Airport." To locals, it's just "Sky Harbor." I point this out just in case it comes up in a job interview.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
By the way, I didn't think of this when I first replied, but the airport here is seldom known as "Phoenix International Airport." To locals, it's just "Sky Harbor." I point this out just in case it comes up in a job interview.
LOL, good looking out. Been looking more around the Vanburen, Mcdowell, area. Plenty of apartments with a wider range to choose from then south mountain. Thing is, its probably more congested than south mountain area, correct? Would crime be alright in these areas?

Old 02-17-2007, 01:27 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
Crime would most likely be a lot more near there than SM.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
LOL, good looking out. Been looking more around the Vanburen, Mcdowell, area. Plenty of apartments with a wider range to choose from then south mountain. Thing is, its probably more congested than south mountain area, correct? Would crime be alright in these areas?
Congestion -- That's hard to say. Phoenix has such a low population density compared to other cities around the world that no area is truly congested, although the freeways certainly seem that way at rush hour. That being said, I do think that South Mountain would give you more of a sense of desert scenery than other areas.

Crime -- Van Buren, Washington, and McDowell are dodgy west of 44th St. Proceeding east of 44th toward Tempe and Scottsdale they improve substantially.

My quick assessment of the pros and cons of these sites:

Pointe South Mountain -- desert scenery, walk to hiking trails and golf

Van Buren / Washington -- closer to airport, walk to light rail stop (McDowell is also close to the airport, but too far north for light rail)

Last edited by exit2lef; 02-17-2007 at 10:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area