Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn13 View Post
Oh, also, Detroit - I can drive, but do not have my license, so renting a car is out of the equation right now, but that's a really good solution for someone who does have their license but is car-less!
Well if you don't have a license then you can't even drive your mom's car (legally anyway). Maaaan you are really stuck between a rock&a hard place. There really aren't a whole lot of "jobs" in Peoria it's a suburban family community for the most part. There are plenty of service sector jobs of course. You don't know anyone here with some connections or anything? Any friends? If you lived in Phoenix or Tempe or Scottsdale without a car it would be easier for you to job hunt and get a job faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM

36 posts, read 60,084 times
Buckeye: Yep...pretty much.

I'm looking at retail jobs anyway...just something.

Can anyone list shopping centers? I just called almost every place at Lake Pleasant Towne Center

Old 09-13-2013, 01:31 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:

Can anyone list shopping centers? I just called almost every place at Lake Pleasant Towne Center
Huge shopping areas around Arrowhead Mall at 83rd and Bell. And getting to a bus stop to get you there might not be too difficult.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:14 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,470 times
Lake Pleasant Towne Center is a good start it's brand new. However like Observer53 mentioned the Arrowhead Mall area serves as the main central shopping area for the NW side of town. Calling around is good but you need to actually dress up in professional attire, go down to the mall and visit a few stores, ask if you can speak to the manager or who ever is in charge at the moment of your visit, give them a hard copy of your resume and let them know you're interested in working for them if a position becomes available. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of connections so you need to get out there and make your presence known. Just applying for jobs online isn't enough (remember most people get jobs because they know somebody that knows somebody) you need to meet employers face to face and let them know you want a job! Retail jobs aren't terribly hard to get. I mean worst case scenario go work at Walmart until you find something better. Walmart is always hiring because people always quit (hmm imagine that why would someone quit their job at Walmart).

Old 09-15-2013, 02:29 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,000,212 times
Quote:

There's the shopping center at the entrance to Vistancia on Happy Valley on the other side of the 303.

Cibola Vista resort was hiring a few weeks ago, but that may have changed. That's just north of Happy Valley/Lake Pleasant.

There's the Camino a Lago Marketplace with the walmart.

Fletcher Heights Marketplace at 83rd and Lake Pleasant. There's a grocery store and some shops.

Going down 83rd from there, there's a bunch of stuff leading down to the walmart on 83rd and Union Hills.

Last edited by CodyW; 09-15-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Sorry, I got an error on the forum and it wouldn't let me view this topic (or the forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Lake Pleasant Towne Center is a good start it's brand new. However like Observer53 mentioned the Arrowhead Mall area serves as the main central shopping area for the NW side of town. Calling around is good but you need to actually dress up in professional attire, go down to the mall and visit a few stores, ask if you can speak to the manager or who ever is in charge at the moment of your visit, give them a hard copy of your resume and let them know you're interested in working for them if a position becomes available. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of connections so you need to get out there and make your presence known. Just applying for jobs online isn't enough (remember most people get jobs because they know somebody that knows somebody) you need to meet employers face to face and let them know you want a job! Retail jobs aren't terribly hard to get. I mean worst case scenario go work at Walmart until you find something better. Walmart is always hiring because people always quit (hmm imagine that why would someone quit their job at Walmart).
I do call and request to speak to a manager or assistant manager, and I can tell you from personal experience, they direct me online. There are some places like Dollar Tree and Bath and Body Works that require you to print an application online and hand it in to the exact store you wish to apply to. I have gone in to a couple of stores like ULTA, and the manager/assistant manager won't even spend a minute talking with me, they just tell me to go apply online. While I do think going in is helpful, it's really not necessary like it was once before, because people are not interested in the old fashioned way, unless you're applying for something more substantial than a retail store.

My point is, I'm here what you're saying, but what you're saying has not been my personal experience, and I don't think it applies to jobs like these. Not to mention, I don't have the means to make it out there and meet everyone face to face, and if I know for a fact they'll tell me to just "go online", I'm not going to waste what little resources I have.

As for Walmart, I applied there a while ago, called them back a few times, and never got an answer. I did work there previously, but I quit, so I may not be eligible for rehire. Does anyone know how I can find that out?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
There's the shopping center at the entrance to Vistancia on Happy Valley on the other side of the 303.

Cibola Vista resort was hiring a few weeks ago, but that may have changed. That's just north of Happy Valley/Lake Pleasant.

There's the Camino a Lago Marketplace with the walmart.

Fletcher Heights Marketplace at 83rd and Lake Pleasant. There's a grocery store and some shops.

Going down 83rd from there, there's a bunch of stuff leading down to the walmart on 83rd and Union Hills.
This is what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

Old 09-19-2013, 02:34 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
The reason why people direct you to the online application sites is partly because it's easier to ignore you that way. BuckeyeBoyDJ has a good point. Of course you can't personally go to every retail joint within x miles of you. But going to the mall and presenting yourself positively to employers that you think you would like to work for may get you some recognition. Apply online before hand and tell them you have.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 24,871 times
Default Rides

Tough situation. My wife is in a similar situation. We were able to buy only a house in an area that the Peoria ADA dial-a-ride does not go to. But...she can take the non-ADA dial-a-ride which I realize you already know about. We have found this to be a difficult situation because the non-ADA dial-a-ride has people call the day before they need the ride, and it is true they mostly go to just Peoria (but I believe there are 1 or 2 hospitals outside of it they will go to). So, if you had a dr. appointment, it's not good because calling one day ahead does not promise you a ride. We found there are town cars but they charge $50 an hour or so. There are some agencies that offer rides but we found those to be $50 or more an hour with a 2 hour minimum. Try staying as close to a bus line as possible - best bet.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 PM

Hi ARIZONA4SUN777,

Sorry to hear you're in the same situation. That is tough. I just wanted to say I can't pick or choose to stay as close to a bus line as possible since I already am where I am and can't move. Non-ADA Dial a Ride is my only option. I don't see why calling ahead would not guarantee me a ride. I am going to call them right now and talk to them about it. They told me I'm not the only one who uses it for work.

The good news is that I got a job and have just completed my 3rd day of work. Minimum wage out here is a freaking joke, but it is what it is. The best one can hope for for retail around here is part time, 16 - 25 (if you're lucky) hours a week. I'm at the 16.5 mark, but that should be moving up to 22.5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area