Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times

Advertisements

More quality jobs and positive news for the Valley!

General Motors has never had a strong employment presence in Arizona beyond its vehicle testing sites, but that changed today as the automaker unveiled plans to bring 1,000 jobs to the Valley.
The city of Chandler will be home to GM’s newest IT innovation center, where workers will develop software and computer systems for the auto giant. This technology will mostly be used behind the scenes, supporting GM’s operations and manufacturing. But customers will directly experience the technology when they visit a dealership or slide behind the wheel of a new GM car. Picture choosing the specs for a new Cadillac on an iPad. State and city of Chandler officials celebrated the win, with Gov. Jan Brewer saying these are the types of high-tech, high-wage jobs Arizona has been coveting as it recovers from the Great Recession.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/c...elcome-gm.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:08 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,343,151 times
Was just about to post this link - I woulda put in the title TECH jobs - to quiet some of the "so what - probably lousy jobs" posters...but this is GREAT news - they seem to be getting started right away too (albeit in a temp facility).

Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Was just about to post this link - I woulda put in the title TECH jobs - to quiet some of the "so what - probably lousy jobs" posters...but this is GREAT news - they seem to be getting started right away too (albeit in a temp facility).
Agreed because people assume "call center" type of jobs and these are white collar highly skilled jobs. What's interesting is they are hiring a lot of college graduates and wanted to be within close proximity to a university and the financial incentives didn't hurt. All in all, this is another nice acquisition for the Valley and hopefully this trend will continue with other companies moving here.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Also, this will help sell more houses in the Chandler area close to Price . Says they will be building a facility but will rent immediately. Very good news for us in Ocotillo. Houses will sell and rent faster.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Also, this will help sell more houses in the Chandler area close to Price . Says they will be building a facility but will rent immediately. Very good news for us in Ocotillo. Houses will sell and rent faster.
Honestly, I'm just more excited for the Valley. This will bring quality jobs and people from all over the Valley will benefit.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,990,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And while this is a nice victory, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We could do a lot better. Furthermore, the key component that lured GM here was providing huge tax breaks and giving GM money to come here something right wing conservatives oppose because they don't believe in government expenditure and using tax dollars as handouts.
Tax breaks are fine. Handouts are not.

Last edited by observer53; 03-08-2013 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Tax breaks are fine. Handouts are not.
It went beyond tax breaks my friend. Read the article again and you'll see how much money they gave out to lure GM here.
[mod cut-- off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 03-08-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,990,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It went beyond tax breaks my friend. Read the article again and you'll see how much money they gave out to lure GM here.
I did not read the article. If the taxpayers funded GM moving here, then I oppose it but tax breaks were offered, no problem. I would issue tax breaks to any business large or small but would never force the people to pay to bring a company here.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I did not read the article. If the taxpayers funded GM moving here, then I oppose it but tax breaks were offered, no problem. I would issue tax breaks to any business large or small but would never force the people to pay to bring a company here.
The State is paying for each job they create (around $1000 IIRC) up to 1000 jobs. I got the impression that it was a one time payment, so a million bucks - not all that much really. There were also significant tax incentives. I don't like it either, but that is just how it is done these days.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM

537 posts, read 1,545,944 times
I read that the state was offering tax incentives of $14,000. per job at least to General Motors. It didn't say about tax incentives for the insurance company. I would hope that the state would not encourage businesses to expand out in the middle of nowhere and encourage more urban sprawl. On a similar note, a neighbor called me a few days ago to tell me that AIG was phasing out their North American support operations and moving all the jobs to the Philippines. She will be losing her job soon. How many thousands of Phoenix jobs will be lost with that one? She said the move would start on the east coast and then come west. While 2000 jobs is a hopeful sign, it won't be a blip on the radar in five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area