Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 AM

224 posts, read 552,237 times

Advertisements

With the lowest home prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 04:49 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Best and worst for what? There is a WEALTH of information already here. Read, read, read, about both Phoenix and its suburbs (if you are interested in more than just Phoenix proper). And, in the current market, if you are thinking of coming here to live, you'll find that many here (including myself) advise renting first to get a feel for the area (including avoiding long commutes) before committing to a purchase. Yes, you could get a good price on a purchase, but if you've made a mistake it might not be easy to resell. After you've read a bit, if you still have specific questions that haven't been answered, ask away!

EDIT: I see that you've started similar threads about cities all over the country, including one about where to buy a house for 10,000 cash. I won't say whether you will find one here that meets that limit (you can do searches on the real estate sites) but, like anywhere else, there will be reasons why it's that cheap.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I've been looking around; but Phoenix is definitely a top contender, and I've seen some houses for $10,000 there, but since currently the only area I know to look is east of 17 and to avoid the south side. Idlewilde looks nice, but of course I see more houses in my price range around Central City and west of 17. I'm sure I could find something for $20,000. I just need to know what areas to look, then when I come to visit I will already know the areas that I want to check out.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 PM

800 posts, read 1,913,507 times
Are you specifically looking inside Phoenix city limits? There are approximately 30 different cities in the Valley of the Sun (Greater Phoenix Metro Area). You can definitely find some great home values and good neighborhoods west of I-17. But $10K? Wow. You'll get what you pay for... a tearer-downer as opposed to a fixer-upper. What type of property are you looking for?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Something structurally sound that I won't have problems getting the water or electricity turned on. It can be a huge fixer upper; I can run an electrical cord from the box and hook up a hose from the faucet if I had to while fixing those things, but it needs to be fixable/livable while I do so. I don't drive so access to shopping is a must, and being able to bike around without getting assaulted is another.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:26 PM

800 posts, read 1,913,507 times
There is exactly one house in Phoenix currently listed for less than $10K. It is just short of 800 sft, has boarded up windows, needs a ton of work, and backs what appears to be a junk yard of some sort. It sits near 13th Street just south of I-17 in what appears to be mostly an industrial-zoned area. Keep in mind that much work you mention will require a permit, and possibly the services of a licensed contractor by law.

Last edited by S. Chris Webb; 11-18-2011 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: additional link

Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 PM

So lets say I bought this place. Would I be able to call the elec' and water companies and just get everything turned on and be able to move in and work on it at my own pace? Or would code enforcement come harassing me? BTW, even though I was told to avoid the south side I like this place.
Thanks!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
Or would code enforcement come harassing me?
I don't think ensuring a property meets city/county safety and structural codes would be properly labeled "harassment."

Old 11-18-2011, 06:16 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,076,577 times
have you done fix-ups like this before??...

there's a chance, of course, that the utilities will not turn on your service if they find a situation that you need to fix, at your expense....if it's "on your end" of the utility line, you're responsible.....

please keep in mind, as said, that you get what you pay for....if this was a bargain, it'd be gone by now....it's a dreary location and price appreciation will be low in Phoenix for years to come

not to be a downer, but don't want you to make a mistake....maybe it'll work???

Old 11-18-2011, 11:51 PM

464 posts, read 833,316 times
Default Safe...below dirt cheap....

....no wheels to HD/Lowe's...and not wanting the city to enforce the normal codes for livability to your little abode, huh? Good luck on that but maybe a small hut on a remote abandoned island will fulfill your criteria better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: