Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:24 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,101 times

Advertisements

After death around seven stages takes place via a putrefaction kicked off by anerobic decomposition assisted by enzymes, bacteria and proteins. God made provisions that were non religious ( He dislikes religion) and separates the soul from Mr. stinky , gives that spirit a heavenly body recognizable to loved ones and there ya go .....heaven a place of unspeakable joy for................ever. Or get cremated and have your ashes tossed
into the toilet as absence from the body is presense with the Lord so your body pretty much is organic waste at death.

Last edited by openmike; 01-14-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 03:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Do you go to heaven, can you still see and breathe, will you have a next life?
I read once something in physics that had a big impact on me. It was a theory (or fact?) that there is a definite amount of energy in the universe. Energy exists at a constant level. New energy isn't created, and energy cannot be lessened in the universe.

Since living beings have energy (all things in teh universe have energy, if I recall correctly). So when a being dies....the energy within that being doesn't die. It can't, because the amount of energy in the universe is constant. The energy transforms into a different energy.

A pot of boiling water has energy, for example. When it boils away, the water disappears. But the energy that was in the pot of boiling water transformed into what I'll call humidity in the air. That energy still exists, just in a different form.

So I think that the energy of Person X transforms into something else. I don't know what it transforms into, or whether that energy has memory of what it had been before. I also don't know if that new energy then transforms into something else, again.

As for whether we, the beings, continue to exist in some other dimension...I don't know. No one knows. I don't rule it out, since we have no proof that that doesn't happen, or that there isn't another dimension (as far as I know). I also don't rule out a God or gods, since we don't know that for sure, either (referring to scientific proof, as opposed to belief and faith). I also don't rule out reincarnation, since we don't know that that doesn't happen.

I just hope that there is another dimension, and that my pets are there waiting for me.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:02 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I read once something in physics that had a big impact on me. It was a theory (or fact?) that there is a definite amount of energy in the universe. Energy exists at a constant level. New energy isn't created, and energy cannot be lessened in the universe.

Since living beings have energy (all things in teh universe have energy, if I recall correctly). So when a being dies....the energy within that being doesn't die. It can't, because the amount of energy in the universe is constant. The energy transforms into a different energy.

A pot of boiling water has energy, for example. When it boils away, the water disappears. But the energy that was in the pot of boiling water transformed into what I'll call humidity in the air. That energy still exists, just in a different form.

So I think that the energy of Person X transforms into something else. I don't know what it transforms into, or whether that energy has memory of what it had been before. I also don't know if that new energy then transforms into something else, again.

As for whether we, the beings, continue to exist in some other dimension...I don't know. No one knows. I don't rule it out, since we have no proof that that doesn't happen, or that there isn't another dimension (as far as I know). I also don't rule out a God or gods, since we don't know that for sure, either (referring to scientific proof, as opposed to belief and faith). I also don't rule out reincarnation, since we don't know that that doesn't happen.

I just hope that there is another dimension, and that my pets are there waiting for me.
This fallacy is known as the argument from ignorance: "I am not sure it can't be true, therefore I am sure it might be true".

Another variant is: "I imagine something. Once that something is in my imagination, you can't prove that it does not exist."

See the silliness?

Also, humans don't "possess" energy that needs to "go somewhere" when they die. We simply process energy using various electro-chemical processes. Our death ends this process, but there is nothing left that has to "go somewhere" or "be transformed" or "change to something else" or any other such nonsense.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I believe we go back to wherever we were before we got here

For example, if I was conceived 3/2/66, I go back to wherever I was on 3/1/66

To me it's kind of comforting, as I seemed to be ok about things on 3/1/66, so it shouldn't be that bad going back there

You believe incorrectly, illogically, and irrationally. Belief is not cognition, belief is not truth, belief is not real, belief is IMAGINATION.

It's ironic that the tool that allows us to be creative and innovative, by rearranging matter and energy to suit our lives, can also be a force for stupidity and destruction when we misinterpret imagination for reality.

The ability to Reason, and create, is an Achilles Heel. By a simple act of choice (aka belief), we can choose to abandon reality and existence when we realize that what reality may offer and what we may want are in opposition. Especially and intensely in the case of survival vs death.

Upon encountering this tragic dissonance, a human can make a choice: acceptance and adaptation, or, sadly, imagine something that cannot be disproven.

Humans will evolve past this silly nonsense one day hence, and the mystical beings we choose to be today will be recognized as the "missing link" to the truly rational beings we will one day become.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Do you go to heaven, can you still see and breathe, will you have a next life?

That is the question isn't it? I hope I'm in heaven with all the people I love but it could turn out that heaven is a human construct to make us feel better about dying. I do believe there is something to the life force and I think that if whatever makes me me could happen once it can happen again. The question is what makes me me? I do believe that I have a soul. I think there's something to sentience that transcends the body. I can't prove it but I just feel it. When you think about it, every cell in my body has been replaced multiple times over in my lifetime yet I'm still me. I have a totally different body but I'm still me. So what makes me me and you you? Why are you in your body and I'm in mine? Why do any of us exist at all? Theoretically, an infinite number of people could exist. We won the cosmic lotto. The odds were against any one of us being here yet here we are.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,115 times
Hinduism (the core beliefs; not the extraneous cultural baggage exhibited by the general population of India) indicates that all life and even reality as we know it is an illusion. The universe is akin to a video game and we are characters in this video game. There are other universes and alien life as well, but they are all part of the video game. I don't know if I believe it but it's interesting reading. Time and space are believed to be concepts that only exist within the game. Outside the game, there is nothing except the concept of Consciousness, which is what they believe is 'God'.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You believe incorrectly, illogically, and irrationally. Belief is not cognition, belief is not truth, belief is not real, belief is IMAGINATION.

It's ironic that the tool that allows us to be creative and innovative, by rearranging matter and energy to suit our lives, can also be a force for stupidity and destruction when we misinterpret imagination for reality.

The ability to Reason, and create, is an Achilles Heel. By a simple act of choice (aka belief), we can choose to abandon reality and existence when we realize that what reality may offer and what we may want are in opposition. Especially and intensely in the case of survival vs death.

Upon encountering this tragic dissonance, a human can make a choice: acceptance and adaptation, or, sadly, imagine something that cannot be disproven.

Humans will evolve past this silly nonsense one day hence, and the mystical beings we choose to be today will be recognized as the "missing link" to the truly rational beings we will one day become.
What exactly was irrational or illogical about what he said? He said he will go back to where he was on 3/1/66. He's not making an assumption about what that is, if anything. If you personally "reason" that the self/ego ceases to exist upon death, there is nothing disagreeable about what he said. If you don't exist before you are born, you don't exist after you die. So it is accurate to say you are "going back to the same place." Was something about this difficult to grasp from a logical perspective? Not sure why you are getting hung up on the usage of the term "believe". Whether he believes, he imagines, he thinks, he deduces, etc...it's rather inconsequential to the point he was making.

Last edited by Bluefox; 01-14-2016 at 07:13 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 08:12 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,355 times
the same thing that happens when an animal dies, horses, dogs, elephants, primates, etc

religion causes humans to think they are going to a better place? other species probably dont even wonder about things like that.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
What exactly was irrational or illogical about what he said? He said he will go back to where he was on 3/1/66. He's not making an assumption about what that is, if anything. If you personally "reason" that the self/ego ceases to exist upon death, there is nothing disagreeable about what he said. If you don't exist before you are born, you don't exist after you die. So it is accurate to say you are "going back to the same place." Was something about this difficult to grasp from a logical perspective? Not sure why you are getting hung up on the usage of the term "believe". Whether he believes, he imagines, he thinks, he deduces, etc...it's rather inconsequential to the point he was making.

Don't be intentionally obtuse. He did not say, or mean, that he was simply going back to the physical location of his birth. Which was probably a hospital ward, and may now be a Burger King, or a landfill. No comfort would come from that. He meant back in the temporal sense. To a pleasant era. In the 60s.

He said he will "go back" to an earlier time, a time for which he expressed a feeling of affection and comfort (disregarding the fact that as of his date of birth his consciousness was as yet undeveloped and unable to form concepts about the time into which he was born). This is preposterous of course. He is not going back in time while he lives, and he is not going back in time when he dies. And neither are you. And neither am I.

Life is not a temporal bungee jump.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:19 AM

605 posts, read 705,432 times
When all brain activity ceases, your consciousness will end at that point (if not sooner). That's what I believe. If that bothers someone, I ask them, "Did it bother you not existing before you were born?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy