Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 29,115 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of moving as part of my new job, which is in downtown Philly. Also, I plan to go to U Penn, downtown, for evening/night school.
I am looking for a place to rent/stay, close (as close as possible) to the Lehigh Valley, that is on the rail network! I have friends that live in the Bethlehem area; though I am not going to be there every evening, I don't want to be too far either. I know the farther away I go from CC, the cheaper rent/apartments, I would find.
Can anyone shed some light, on places that may be a few miles drive to the railway station; that is about an hour or less ride to the 30th street station?

What is the ball park as far as rent, in these places?

Of course,I don't want to drive the whole distance, to work OR use the bus service !

Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojiboy View Post
I am in the process of moving as part of my new job, which is in downtown Philly. Also, I plan to go to U Penn, downtown, for evening/night school.
Just FYI - U Penn is in West Philly, not in Center City. Penn isn't far from Center City but, depending on where in CC you're working you might not be within walking distance.

Quote:
I am looking for a place to rent/stay, close (as close as possible) to the Lehigh Valley, that is on the rail network! I have friends that live in the Bethlehem area; though I am not going to be there every evening, I don't want to be too far either. I know the farther away I go from CC, the cheaper rent/apartments, I would find.
First, Bethlehem really isn't that far from Philly and it's probably a lot easier to live to close to work/school and make the drive up to Bethlehem when you need to - as opposed to living close to your friends who you will see a few nights a week and spend 2 or 3 hours every day commuting to your job.
Next, it's not really accurate that the further out you go the cheaper the rents get. Some neighborhoods are $$$ and some are $. It doesn't matter if you're in the city or the 'burbs.

Quote:
Can anyone shed some light, on places that may be a few miles drive to the railway station; that is about an hour or less ride to the 30th street station?
The closest you can be to the Lehigh Valley and still be near a regional rail line is between Lansdale and Doylestown.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
In your scenario, the Lansdale area makes sense because it is cheaper, closer to CC, and closer to 476 for an easier run to the Lehigh Valley. Doylestown and places closer to there may be fewer miles to Bethlehem, but you'll either be on roads with plenty of lights or have a further trip to 476.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:45 AM

388 posts, read 1,094,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojiboy View Post

What is the ball park as far as rent, in these places?

Of course,I don't want to drive the whole distance, to work OR use the bus service !

Thank you...

Colmar, Lansdale are not too far from the Lehigh Valley. I might also checkout Doylestown.

If it was me I would probably just live close to Penn. Time is worth money. You will probably spend way more time at work and school than with your friends on Bethlehem. If you see them on the weekends that is only one or two days vs five at work.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 PM

I am not against living in an apartment, close to UPenn/CC. The only concern is how expensive, and more honestly how safe. I understand, not having to take the train will save me $200+, every month. I am not sure, but I read in some of the threads here, about a wage tax, if I live in the city of Philly; (please help...)
Any places, that you may suggest?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
As long as you work in the city you'll pay the wage tax, though it will be a little lower if you live outside the city. Do you have to be in a place before you start working? If you could check out the areas mentioned a little, it would help you decide where you would be most comfortable living.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
If you're working in the city you pay the wage tax and the little money you save by living outside of the city will be more than spent on a more expensive commute.

It really doesn't matter if you take SEPTA or drive your car to work. You're spending money either way. The only cheap ways to commute are on two feet or two wheels.

If you really want to live in the suburbs I would suggest the Ambler/Ft. Washington area. The commute to Center City is much shorter and the trains run more frequently. You are closer to more of the action in the suburbs and you are only 10 minutes further from Bethlehem than if you lived in Lansdale or Doylestown.

If you're a young, single guy (it sounds like you are) I would say go for the city and make your Bethlehem buddies come visit you once in a while. There are plenty of safe and affordable places to live in the city. But either way, we can't make good recommendations for the 'burbs or the city if you don't tell us how much you want to spend.

Suburbs or city, though.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 PM

I am in the final stages of confirming which place I may pick as far as work. I am a Physical Therapist and, the places are in Newtown Square or in Logan Square; both in Philly!
. I would be in Philly this weekend, to see the both places and kind of confirm where I would like to be.
I would like some suggestions as far as places to go apartment hunting!
Talking of a ball park, as far as the rent, anywhere from 600 to 750 (I don't know what to base my numbers on) and may be utilities etc. all within 900 dollars.
thank you guys again, for writing back!
J

Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,715 times
An FYI, Newtown Square is not in Philly, it is a suburban town in Delaware County, it's considered an outlying western suburb. To take a train into center city (or U Penn) from Newtown Square, you'd need to go south to Media (the R3 or 101 line) or north to get to the R5 or 100 lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia