Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:55 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times

Advertisements

^^ New York, I think is also like that...as it also is a city of "neighborhoods."
My friend who lived on the Upper East Side, said she rarely went south of Midtown.
If everything you want or need is in your own neighborhood, or at most two neighborhoods over -- other than something special taking you farther away -- why would you venture further? Just to explore? OK, sure, that can be reason enough.

But from the UES going to Soho -- just like from the Northeast to UC, or Whitman Plaza to Roxborough -- it'd likely be a definite reason to go...even if it is only to explore and enjoy certain stores or venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 10:10 PM

252 posts, read 234,054 times
I live on border of Graduate Hospital/Point Breeze.

CC- usually daily when I walk my dog/shopping/brunch/family visiting/Dr appts.
Northern Liberties- Hit up Heritage to listen to live jazz
Queen Village- explore as potential new neighborhood
East Passyunk- Groceries and festivals on the Ave.
Fishtown- Want to explore more.
University City- Rheumatologist/Therapist.

Never been to Northeast and Chestnut Hill maybe once per yr.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:42 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Everyone's is so free and unencumbered. No one has a family? That certainly impacts where and when you go to certain places.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
I live and work in the same neighborhood too but I'm all over the city on the weekend and on some weeknights--exploring new restaurants and places, going to concerts, meeting with friends, taking my dog to different parks, biking, etc.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:15 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,603 times
Maybe not 100% on topic, but ...

I've lived in Philly (E Mt Airy) for 10 years. The first couple of years were filled with "let's go to [wherever]," often just to see what [wherever] looked like (get the "look & feel" of a place). Often it was "been there, done that," never to be revisited.

Then, as my wife and I created our routine (rut?) that exploration tailed off. I suppose that's natural, but after a while it began to seem limiting, esp'ly when showing the same stuff to different out of town visitors. So about 3 years ago I made a Google Map of places that seemed interesting and were within a 1.5 hr driving radius. Literally 100s of them - in the PA mountains, in South Jersey (Del. Bay, Pinelands). There's seemingly no end to the list of places that appeal to historic, quirky, natural tastes. The day-to-day remains pretty much the same WRT work, shopping, entertainment. But at least one day a week I consult the Google Map and find somewhere interesting to visit. It's deepened my appreciation for the region and has had the unanticipated side effect of reducing my usually constant "big travel" itch. I'm not saying I'd rather go to Centralia than Hawaii, but will say the more "bite size" trips are terrific and do nothing but increase my love for the region.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:35 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Maybe not 100% on topic, but ...

I've lived in Philly (E Mt Airy) for 10 years. The first couple of years were filled with "let's go to [wherever]," often just to see what [wherever] looked like (get the "look & feel" of a place). Often it was "been there, done that," never to be revisited.

Then, as my wife and I created our routine (rut?) that exploration tailed off. I suppose that's natural, but after a while it began to seem limiting, esp'ly when showing the same stuff to different out of town visitors. So about 3 years ago I made a Google Map of places that seemed interesting and were within a 1.5 hr driving radius. Literally 100s of them - in the PA mountains, in South Jersey (Del. Bay, Pinelands). There's seemingly no end to the list of places that appeal to historic, quirky, natural tastes. The day-to-day remains pretty much the same WRT work, shopping, entertainment. But at least one day a week I consult the Google Map and find somewhere interesting to visit. It's deepened my appreciation for the region and has had the unanticipated side effect of reducing my usually constant "big travel" itch. I'm not saying I'd rather go to Centralia than Hawaii, but will say the more "bite size" trips are terrific and do nothing but increase my love for the region.

Great idea! I actually want to check out Centralia some day lol.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM

252 posts, read 234,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Everyone's is so free and unencumbered. No one has a family? That certainly impacts where and when you go to certain places.

I have a husband and fur babies. That is a family. No children because I want to remain free and unemcumbered. Exactly.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 PM

62 posts, read 136,540 times
After raising my babies (now fully-functioning, tax paying grown ups), I moved up to complete a Master's 3 years ago and decided to stay. Work, live, & go to Farmer's Market in University City.

Love exploring to new neighborhoods:
-Hair in Queen Village
-Plants in NE or South Philly
-Take friends/family to Old City when in town
-Errands in CC
-Kitchen store in the Italian Market for everything ever needed (and somethings I don't) for the kitchen
-French bakery in South Philly
-Some shopping in the 'burbs - I like the space and manageable crowds
-Fishmonger in RTM
-Visit the main library sometimes

Old 08-18-2018, 03:37 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
You all know I live in an outlying neighborhood. And I'm sure you also all know that my work takes me to many different places not just in the city but in the region.

But even if I didn't do what I did, I'd still head into Center City on the subway to shop at the Reading Terminal Market, and I still pop into the Gayborhood bars on occasion.

But I will also confess to spending more time in Chestnut Hill than I used to simply because it has lots of interesting places to shop and dine and is up this way.

I am probably a rare soul in making the occasional trip from Germantown to Mayfair on the 26. But that's because Scoats' bar (the Grey Lodge Public House) is really all that.

Oh, yeah, and there is nothing like Fante's anywhere else in town, citygirl3133.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:15 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
I agree with what everyone has said about Philly being a neighborhood city, which I love. However, my advice to others is, despite your age or lifestyle, make a point to get into other parts of the city. There are so many distinct neighborhoods to enjoy the vibe/offerings of, it is a shame to live in such a dynamic city but only enjoy what your neighborhood offers.

I live in West Philly (Powelton/Mantua area). I go to Center City often, I'd say an average of 1-2 times/week. I like the nightlife there, and have friends who live in the area. Rittenhouse Square also has a very convenient and enjoyable shopping experience; KoP has more to offer but is much less enjoyable with all the traffic on 76. IMO, anyone who lives in Philly should make a point to go in at least a few times a month, because we have one of the best downtowns in the country. I do get that it is totally age/lifestyle/etc contingent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia