Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM

7,319 posts, read 10,695,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I like how everyone assumes that the people doing the beating were not from the city.. lol.. It does not matter. It happened IN the city... This kinda crap happens in the city 99.9% of the time.. Would never happened in my town.. ever.. Cops would never stand for it..
I disagree. There's so many tired stereotypes about Philly sports fans being classless hooligans, and it's often directed at the city-dwellers themselves. I think there is definitely something to be said for the fact that many of the perpetrators of these types of incidents are from the suburbs. Some seem come into the city looking to start trouble, and Philly ends up having to bear the brunt of the bad press, when it should be Cherry Hill, et al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 PM

149 posts, read 447,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If you read the post that you replied to a little more closely, you would have read the part where I talked about Steeler fans calling out other Steeler fans for stupid behavior.
Interesting. I could mention how poorly I was treated in Pittsburgh as a visiting Eagles fan in '04. Bumped, pushed, cursed at....unprovoked mind you. Not every Steelers fan, but a bunch. Nobody called it out. Not one person. The difference is that i didn't label all Steelers fans as knuckleheads like others tend to do towards Eagles fans. Thugs are everywhere. It's a shame, and it deserves punishment, everywhere.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,954,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I disagree. There's so many tired stereotypes about Philly sports fans being classless hooligans, and it's often directed at the city-dwellers themselves. I think there is definitely something to be said for the fact that many of the perpetrators of these types of incidents are from the suburbs. Some seem come into the city looking to start trouble, and Philly ends up having to bear the brunt of the bad press, when it should be Cherry Hill, et al.

well. The people doing the beating were from Philly.. and they beat up people who were not from Philly. Those are the facts.

BUT- this kinda stuff happens in all the cities. Philly didn't corner the market on this type of behavior. The reason it usually don't happen in the burbs is the cops are much less tolerant of this sorta stuff and are more likely to take a proactive approach. The cops in my town are all built like brick ... houses and are very intimidating and aren't afraid to take control.. People know this and stay away

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-07-2012 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: watch the self-edited profanity

Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,577,441 times
Quote:
well. The people doing the beating were from Philly.. and they beat up people who were not from Philly. Those are the facts.

BUT- this kinda stuff happens in all the cities. Philly didn't corner the market on this type of behavior. The reason it usually don't happen in the burbs is the cops are much less tolerant of this sorta stuff and are more likely to take a proactive approach. The cops in my town are all built like brick ... houses and are very intimidating and aren't afraid to take control.. People know this and stay away
Riddle me this Frank: if the stadiums were out in your part of Jersey, I guess you think the hooligans wouldn't bother attending games and then floodthe local food establishments? I'm sure it has everything to do with your "brick..." cops, because all Philly cops are total wussies, right? There are so many incidents of violence committed by sports fans in other cities that saying sports fans only become violent because they enter Philadelphia is absolutely insane. Try not to let your emotional Philly hate cloud your judgement here. I remember two years ago when New York Red Bulls supporters surrounded and threw rocks at the Sons of Ben's charter bus outside Red Bull Arena. They broke the windows on the bus before the driver took off, but imagine what would have happened had some fans got caught outside in that mob. That didn't even make the paper, and it happened in New Jersey by the way. Or what about the HUGE FREAKING RIOTS IN VANCOUVER AFTER THE STANLEY CUP FINAL??? Man do you really want me to have to go and research sports hooliganism, because I will if you want me to. This behavior has nothing to do with Philadelphia and everything to do with a hooligan culture among sports fans as well as excessive drinking before, during, and after games.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-07-2012 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: removed profanity from quote and body of post

Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,036,417 times
Quote:

BUT- this kinda stuff happens in all the cities. Philly didn't corner the market on this type of behavior. The reason it usually don't happen in the burbs is the cops are much less tolerant of this sorta stuff and are more likely to take a proactive approach. The cops in my town are all built like brick $hit houses and are very intimidating and aren't afraid to take control.. People know this and stay away
Laughing my ass off at the idea that cops in whatever podunk Nj town you live in, having tougher cops than Philadelphia. This doesn't happen where you live because there is never a time when 1000s of people come into your town for entertainment or to drink.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM

17,522 posts, read 24,786,736 times
I'm amazed that Jersey fans would venture into the city, they certainly wouldn't ride the Subway.
Living in Arizona I should be OK, nobody cares about the Coyotes

Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,445,986 times
Quote:
Edward Neary, one of the ones who did the beating IS from Philly..
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
From the city how? Did he grow up there? Do you know this for a fact?

If so, and if he indeed jumped some fans and they did absolutely nothing to provoke it then yes he is a disgrace to the city and its fans.

And all of that is a very big if.
Quote:
According to his Facebook profile, Edward Neary is a graduate of Father Judge High School and attends Community College of Philadelphia. His interests are listed as "Money" and "An More Money." Under favorite athlete, he listed, "Seriously I will punch you in the . . . face."
Rangers fan beaten after Winter Classic was Iraq war veteran | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/06/2012

Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,634,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
People from outside the Delaware Valley see the entire metro as "Philly". I don't think mr Corn Farmer in Iowa can really point out "Bustelton" any better than he can find Bangladesh. Same with New York. Long Island, Queens, NJ, it's all the "Big Apple" to folks...

Secondly, Philly people, both inside and outside the city, have always had a thuggish attitude to life in general. Tons of white kids out here in Bucks Co with backwards caps, shouting profanites out of their cars at walkers, trying to stare you down, talking about the beatdown they marginally won last night, the women with the attitude. Philly/NJ people are all about the aggro. Say what you will about NYC/CHI but I find if you start none there will be none. Most people go out and do their thing and are chill. Philly people need to be "hard" 24/7 and no one is truly safe if someone decides they have an issue. Someone minding their own buisness makes the mistake of coming off (weither true or not) as "Weak" or "Soft" is instantly a target.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,951,136 times
Quote:

BUT- this kinda stuff happens in all the cities. Philly didn't corner the market on this type of behavior. The reason it usually don't happen in the burbs is the cops are much less tolerant of this sorta stuff and are more likely to take a proactive approach. The cops in my town are all built like brick $hit houses and are very intimidating and aren't afraid to take control.. People know this and stay away
There was a vicious attack similar to this one in East Rutherford after a Gaints / Jets game.... Stuff like this happens everywhere no matter the place....

Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 AM

14,206 posts, read 22,882,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There was a vicious attack similar to this one in East Rutherford after a Gaints / Jets game.... Stuff like this happens everywhere no matter the place....
To my recollection, though, it didn't make the national news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia