Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 07:00 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
But the newly proposed building's exterior is glass, brick, metal, and masonry.
I'm not in the business of insulting anyone, but I will critique architecture.
I guess the only other thing worth noting is that the majority of the existing highrises on Rittenhouse Square are post-war modern buildings, and a lot of them aren't even brick. The building that burned down to create the longstanding hole that's now being filled in was also a post-war modern building.
You probably know than it was twin movie theaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
And here's the thing. I haven't insulted your views on things at all, nor have I made assumptions or tried to slap you down for a different point of view.

Provincial is in the eye of the beholder, but I certainly know when it's being shot me as an insult. I have a BFA & I know what I like & don't like. it's personal preference. I've taken a break from this thread before. I think it's time to do it again.
It was not directed at you specifically. I'm directing it towards a lot of people who'd rather not see the potential of this city, don't do much about trying to realize it and are stuck in a low expectation vibe.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You probably know than it was twin movie theaters.
Yes I do. It was even two separated theaters initially, But by the end, the owners acquired the middle lot and did a major renovation to combine it into one structure.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:11 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
And here's the thing. I haven't insulted your views on things at all, nor have I made assumptions or tried to slap you down for a different point of view.

Provincial is in the eye of the beholder, but I certainly know when it's being shot me as an insult. I have a BFA & I know what I like & don't like. it's personal preference. I've taken a break from this thread before. I think it's time to do it again.
Though I understand your reaction, it would be a shame if you took that break. I have learned a lot from you long time Philadelphians who have posted in the Philly forum.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
O come on, aggressively rude? I don't agree with your viewpoints on this at all, but at least you provide legitimate reasons why you do not like the project, even if we don't agree, but some snooty neighbor who simply says she hates the project without backing it up to me is unacceptable. Don't mistake being blunt as being "aggressively rude", its not like I pushed her into oncoming traffic...
Pushing someone into oncoming traffic is not being rude. It's assault & potential murder.

Opinion is something that people may or may not be able to back up verbally. There are things in life that I just don't care for. That doesn't make my opinion less valid.

There's a lot of money in Rittenhouse Square & the surrounding vicinity. People bought there for the ambiance. Some rent & pay big money to do that. Google Ozzie Meyer. There's a quote attributed to him. Don't think that it won't apply in this case if enough of the residents don't like this building for whatever reason.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Pushing someone into oncoming traffic is not being rude. It's assault & potential murder.

Opinion is something that people may or may not be able to back up verbally. There are things in life that I just don't care for. That doesn't make my opinion less valid.

There's a lot of money in Rittenhouse Square & the surrounding vicinity. People bought there for the ambiance. Some rent & pay big money to do that. Google Ozzie Meyer. There's a quote attributed to him. Don't think that it won't apply in this case if enough of the residents don't like this building for whatever reason.
These are same types of Rittenhouse residents, no doubt, who have not been very instrumental in helping to develop that empty plot of land over the last several years. You would think that one of these rich "geniuses" would have come up with an idea or two that would suit their thoughts of proper ambience in that location. They haven't that's been made public.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Though I understand your reaction, it would be a shame if you took that break. I have learned a lot from you long time Philadelphians who have posted in the Philly forum.
I find it extremely tedious that I can't state an opinion without it being dissected & graded for correctness. At least I can verbalize why I have my opinion, yet the people telling me how wrong my opinion is can't give an equally detailed reason for their opinions. I have no delusion that my opinion counts when the decision is made to approve or disapprove that building. These are all just opinions on an internet website.

When I posted on the Charlotte board that one of the tall buildings there was the ugliest tall building that I've ever seen not a single poster tried to disect my opinion & tell me that it was wrong. It was just an opinion, after all.

Because they are doing something in NYC or Boston doesn't compute to me. When you drill down to the colonial bones of the city it's even more bizarre. NYC started out as New Netherlands. Some of the same English architects who designed some of the colonial buildings in Philadelphia were also designing in the Southern colonies.

I think that Philadelphia should go its own way & capitalize on it's own strengths. There are huge swaths of the city that have deteriorated since the mills closed. They are ripe for experimentation and to be changed up. Center City has its problem areas. I always felt that when the right thing came along to plug a hole it would go there. I went to college at Broad & Pine. From the first day of my freshman year there was a giant hole on South Broad that served as a parking lot. I recently saw a picture of South Broad in the early 20th century. the difference was amazing. That hole on South Broad stayed there for decades.

The effects of the mill closures are still in Philadelphia. As a high school student I heard an interview on KYW radio. He said that it would take 2 to 3 generations for the city to recover. I thought that he was stark raving mad. He was right. I was wrong.

I think that the builder of the source of confrontation will be told to make it more brick & less glass. It can be done. There is a possibility that the neighborhood residents will approve the current design, but I suspect that a majority will have a problem with the ratio of glass to brick.

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-29-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
These are same types of Rittenhouse residents, no doubt, who have not been very instrumental in helping to develop that empty plot of land over the last several years. You would think that one of these rich "geniuses" would have come up with an idea or two that would suit their thoughts of proper ambience in that location. They haven't that's been made public.
I don't care if they're rich. I also don't care if the money was earned or inherited. You know perfectly well as much as I do that Ozzie Meyer's quote couldn't be truer. If that building was proposed for somewhere else in Center City it wouldn't have any appreciable opposition. It's not ugly. It's more glass than I prefer, but it's not my decision. I don't get a vote. Unless I win a lottery, I'm never going to afford living on Rittenhouse Square. I've known some people who lived there, over the years. They've all said the same thing. They bought or decided to rent there for the ambiance. Ambiance isn't a word that usually comes to mind concerning a city neighborhood, but evey last person who I ever met who lived on the square or in the neighborhood used that word.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I don't care if they're rich. I also don't care if the money was earned or inherited. You know perfectly well as much as I do that Ozzie Meyer's quote couldn't be truer. If that building was proposed for somewhere else in Center City it wouldn't have any appreciable opposition. It's not ugly. It's more glass than I prefer, but it's not my decision. I don't get a vote. Unless I win a lottery, I'm never going to afford living on Rittenhouse Square. I've known some people who lived there, over the years. They've all said the same thing. They bought or decided to rent there for the ambiance. Ambiance isn't a word that usually comes to mind concerning a city neighborhood, but evey last person who I ever met who lived on the square or in the neighborhood used that word.
I still want to know why that plot of land has stayed empty for about 20 years while folks who live around the square, like the Perelmans for instance, have seemingly, done nothing about it. That "hole" should completely distract from their idea of ambience.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I still want to know why that plot of land has stayed empty for about 20 years while folks who live around the square, like the Perelmans for instance, have seemingly, done nothing about it. That "hole" should completely distract from their idea of ambience.
That will have to be one of the mysteries of life. There are enough people with enough money & power who live there & have to look at the hole every day that, if it bothered them, they would have done something about it long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia