Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 13,102 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to the State College area with our two children (under 4) within the year. He has potential to get a sales position with S.C. being central to his territory, thus the choice to possibly live there. I have heard wonderful things about schools, things to do, etc., but would like specifics. In particular, feedback on Our Lady of Victory Catholic school or specific neighborhoods where we know some families our own age (35-43) would reside. Anyone living in Fieldstone next to the Middle school?

We would be moving from a suburb of Philly where, frankly, the people are a wee bit pretentious. The upside, there is a lot of things to do and can get to other cities very easily on train.

We are in desperate need of some "live" references so have decided to put these questions out there.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
I grew up in State College (and moved to the suburbs of Philly in my teens, I know what you mean about the pretentiousness) but I'm not familiar with the specific locations you mention. In general though, State College is a great place to raise kids and even though it's a college town, there are plenty of things for kids and families to do. In the summer, there is the Arts Festival (and other festivals in the area around the same time), which I always loved as a kid (still do). Bellefont apparently has a "children's fair": http://www.happyvalley.com/posts.php?id=1608

There's the creamery, the ice rink, roller rink, bowling, ski slopes (Tussey Mountain, which also has some other events and activities going on in the summer I think). And of course there's things like movies threaters and mini golf.

There are plenty of art or recreational programs and sports camps for kids. Here a list of them of them: http://www.happyvalley.com/posts.php?id=1536 and info about sports camps: http://www.outreach.psu.edu/psu-sport-camps/

Unfortunately, the drive-in movie threater was shut down - I was really disappointed to hear that. But I think the 50s diner is still there?

Of course there's plenty of college level sporting events to attend - but there's also a minor league baseball team called the Spikes.

I hope that gives you a lot of specific ideas about things to do in the State College area for kids and families. The downside to State College is, of course, that there is no big city within a day trip's distance. So it's a bit isolated but as you can see, there is no lack of events or activities and there's also plenty of good restaurants which are family friendly too.

Also check out: State College CENTRAL

Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 PM

21 posts, read 75,196 times
I grew up in State College and moved to suburban philly for work after graduating from Penn State. I grew up in Park Forest Village which seemed to have the highest concentration of families. You may also want to check out Houserville too which is sort of near the hospital and expressway. The neighborhood around Our Lady of Victory (can't remember the name) is also nice. These areas don't have a large student population living there so you won't have to worry about weekend rowdiness.

State College is an awesome place to raise a family..the school district is really good since its in the shadow of Penn State and there are a lot of big name musicians that come in for concerts and events at the Bryce Jordan Center. Also you can see Big Ten College Athletics and I highly recommend going to see the Womens and Mens Volleyball games which doesn't get as much press as the football team. There are a good variety of restaurants and activities in town...check out Schlow Memorial Library too.

Also Philly, Baltimore/DC are only like three hours away Pittsburgh is like 2.5 hours and NYC is probably somewhere around 5 hours away which make for good weekend trips.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks to CupofJoe and PA2UK for your quick responses. Makes me feel better when I hear from people who grew up there. I guess one question is "Would you move there now, with your current/potential families?" What would hold you back? Jobs? Remote location?
I think the "isolation" aspect is the tricky part for me. I am from a very small town about an hour east of State College but have become used to everything and everyone being so accessible. Maybe just a hurdle to jump.

Also, what about beaches? My husband keeps referencing Lake Erie? I cannot see that water getting anywhere near comfortable until late August/early Sept.

Finally, I have heard and read a few things about the district revamping some schools and possibly building new ones. Any thoughts on which elementary schools to pursue/shy away from?

Thanks again for you time.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 PM

21 posts, read 75,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivalley View Post
Thanks to CupofJoe and PA2UK for your quick responses. Makes me feel better when I hear from people who grew up there. I guess one question is "Would you move there now, with your current/potential families?" What would hold you back? Jobs? Remote location?
I think the "isolation" aspect is the tricky part for me. I am from a very small town about an hour east of State College but have become used to everything and everyone being so accessible. Maybe just a hurdle to jump.

Also, what about beaches? My husband keeps referencing Lake Erie? I cannot see that water getting anywhere near comfortable until late August/early Sept.

Finally, I have heard and read a few things about the district revamping some schools and possibly building new ones. Any thoughts on which elementary schools to pursue/shy away from?

Thanks again for you time.

I'm actually single but if I had a family I would take into serious consideration moving back to State College. The main reason I stay in suburban philly is because I have a really good job and don't want to leave unless a much better opportunity opens up. Most people that move to State College already have a job set up for them and thats why they move. But if something were to happen with my job I would move back or at least to that area.

For me the remoteness of State College is a benefit because it a great place to sort of get away but having grown up there I guess I'm just sort of used to the surroundings. I'm sure moving there from a city can be a bit of an adjustment. I know a lot of folks move back there because they tire of city life. College towns are also really great places to retire. For me State College also offers a rich cultural life because of the university so there are things to do and explore. There are buses to Pittsburgh, Philly and NYC and really the three hour drive isn't bad to philly when you get used to it but the winter time can be a bit tricky going through the mountains.

I haven't been to Lake Erie but I know the beaches in DE or Md are really only 4 hours away or so and a lot of folks head there in the summer.

As far as the school district the State College area is considered one of the best in the area so I am pretty sure there aren't any schools to really stay away from but I'm very removed now from the schools so I can't give a true informed opinion. I feel the money for private schools might not be worth it if the public schools are good but yeah it is a growing district and they have considered building a second high school and expanded some of the middle schools.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivalley View Post
The remote location would be a downside for me but it wouldn't stop me from living there. We could probably both find jobs there but I'm not sure if it would be a step down for us - we both work in the professional sporting industry and I'm not sure if college level sports would mean less income. We live in the UK at the moment but we plan to go back to the Philly area where there's lots of job opportunities in the pro sports industry.

The main thing that would stop us from living there is that my husband hates "studenty" areas. While there's plenty of communities outside downtown which aren't "studenty" at all, we both like to live in walkable areas which would mean living near campus.

I know my brother and his wife seriously looked into moving back to State College because housing was so much more affordable and it's such a great place to live. The only reason they didn't was because there weren't many/any job ops for him.

Quote:
Well, like I say, State College itself has plenty of events, activities, restaurants, etc. As a college town, it attracts a lot of big name musicians and acts and in many ways, downtown is much like a mini-city. If you're worried living in State College will be just like the small town you're from, you'll probably find that's not the case.

Quote:
That's a downside too, if you like ocean beaches. I don't think we ever went to Lake Erie but we did go to a lake somewhere nearby. I don't remember it being any colder than the Jersey shore though.

Quote:
I can't really say - I moved away when I was 13-14 so I only really know about the schools I attended (Lemont, Houserville and Park Forest) and that was about 14-15 years ago so they might be different now. Sorry!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:26 AM

955 posts, read 4,088,644 times
If you want beaches, you're better off driving to the coast. Erie is almost 4 hours travel time. Lake Erie rarely gets warm enough for swimming. Even during the warmest summers water temperature barely reaches 80 and not until August.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
I only wish we were moving to St College-we LOVE it there! I grew up close to there and have family who lives in Houserville. We have lived in Bucks County and CHester County...I feel there is more opportunity in Bucks and Chester rather than Central PA as a whole BUT St College has so much. The Bryce Jordon Center has all sorts of concerts and sporting events etc. You have Arts Fest. Museums on campus to take the kids to, theatre on campus, agricultural events with animals and such. I think it's perfect for kids. I have toddlers and wish we could find jobs there to live.

What is your budget? Grays Woods (or Greys) is VERY nice. It's where I would want to live if moving there. SOme family lives in Houserville...her particular development is getting a bit old but seems to be the place for starter homes. Right next to that development is a NEW development with new construction going on now and I like those homes a lot. I like Lemont as well...

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I only wish we were moving to St College-we LOVE it there! I grew up close to there and have family who lives in Houserville. We have lived in Bucks County and CHester County...I feel there is more opportunity in Bucks and Chester rather than Central PA as a whole BUT St College has so much. The Bryce Jordon Center has all sorts of concerts and sporting events etc. You have Arts Fest. Museums on campus to take the kids to, theatre on campus, agricultural events with animals and such. I think it's perfect for kids. I have toddlers and wish we could find jobs there to live.

What is your budget? Grays Woods (or Greys) is VERY nice. It's where I would want to live if moving there. SOme family lives in Houserville...her particular development is getting a bit old but seems to be the place for starter homes. Right next to that development is a NEW development with new construction going on now and I like those homes a lot. I like Lemont as well...

Good luck!
I do agree that there is a lot to offer there! I was also wondering about the job market. I am going to assume that a lot of people are employed by the University or nearby IT jobs? I am a stay-at-home mom so I am not interested in the corporate ladder but my husband's office is our home. He travels daily to separate accounts and would no be going to a place with coworkers. Not sure if that makes it difficult to kind of "fit in" or are people pretty friendly?

We are in the price range of about $375-$425ish and have seen that there is a much better bang for your buck in S.C. than Chester County! Ideally, we would like a neighborhood with families like us who have preschooler children, 4+ bedrooms, 2+ baths and a flat yard. Would love a finished/walkout basement but that may have to come later.

Is "Gray's Woods" a development or a section of town. Is there an elementary school with the same name-not sure? Maybe you can direct your relatives who live there to this blog and see if they can add their 2 cents!! ( haha).

Thank you so much for the input - actual references have a tendency to make my decisions so much easier.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
People are very friendly there. It's different than Bucks/Chester and NOVA where I live now. In those places people are nice yet distant. Central PA they are outgoing...In general.

Not sure what the school is in Grey's Woods. My aunt lives in St College but doesn't have kids or else I would ask her. It is a development out past North Atherton. It's lovely. And I like the development in Houserville next to my aunts. It's brand new and within your price range. I would call a real estate agent and ask them about these areas. Park Forest is nice but a bit older. I dont know the name of the development near my aunt...starlight, or something that begins with an S. But I know Remax has signs in there. Just tell them you want to know about the development in Houserville...new construction...Right off of HOuserville Road. (Down from the Sheetz)

I know the high school is known for some of their sports. Really a lovely town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania