Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon folks! It's another beautiful day in NEPA! The sun is shining, birds are chirping, and the snow pack is finally starting to surrender to beautiful blades of grass again (albeit a bit brown and muddy). It won't be long until the trees are budding and the annuals are sprouting up.

Since my morning class at King's was canceled today, I decided to listen to the voters in my poll thread, and I headed an hour away from my home near Scranton out to Milford, the Pike County seat. The drive between Scranton and Milford along I-84 was peaceful, serene, and relaxing---it felt so good to escape the city for a little while to take on the "open road" (even though the PA State Police were out in full force today to catch hapless speeders!) On the way home, I drove up Route 209 along the Delaware River to the Westfall Township area to get a better grasp of just what shopping options are available for the Upper Delaware Valley area, and then I also took a quick trip through Greentown to see what that area was like. Bear in mind, I've never been to any of these areas, so it was a learning experience for me too! I found Greentown to not be of much interest for photographing (sorry to the two forum members who are moving here!), as I saw nothing but a few homes, a church, Dutch's Market, an Agway Store, and a bank along Route 507. (Perhaps there's more to see and do off the beaten path in Greentown?)

I found Westfall Township to be quite disappointing as well. There was a newer Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, KMart, Staples, Hollywood Video, Golf Pro Shop, McDonalds, Perkins, Wendy's, Price Chopper, and a few other "chains", all of which I'm worrying will hurt nearby independent merchants in the long run. As you head northward from the center of Milford towards Matamoras along Route 209, you first enter Milford Township, which has some smaller businesses, and then you enter Westfall Township, home of the aforementioned corporate behemoths. I fondly recall seeing an independent hardware store about midway between Milford and Westfall along the left-hand side, and I wonder how they'll be able to survive with both "big box" hardware stores just up the highway?

Some more observations from my day out included the following:

-Milford's two main drags (Harford Street and Broad Street) have an overabundance of realtors. I must have counted roughly a DOZEN different real estate agencies in this quiet town, ranging from Weichert to Century 21 to Coldwell Banker and everyone in between!) To me, this gave me a sense of "Come to Milford. We've got plenty of realtors in town to lure in and then take advantage of New Yorkers!" LOL!

-Approximately 1/3 of all vehicles zooming around town were from out-of-state, namely New Jersey. I realize the border to the Garden State is nearby though, so apparently they just cut through Milford en route to other areas? I got the sense while walking through town that between the realtors on every corner and the out-of-state cars taking over that the town was about to become a MAJOR "real estate hot-spot" if it hasn't already done so.

-Traffic in town was a NIGHTMARE! For such a tiny town, it was difficult to cross the streets. Compounding the difficulty for pedestrians was the fact that snow banks still clogged many sidewalks, forcing me to walk in the street for some sections. Apparently, Milford doesn't have a borough ordinance that requires its property owners to shovel their sidewalks in a timely fashion?

-The town was replete with historic homes and curb appeal (as you'll see in my photos), but I truly don't see what all of the "hype" is about with Milford. I've been to PLENTY of towns in the region that have much more historic architecture to offer, including Jim Thorpe, Lewisburg, Tunkhannock, West Pittston, and even Scranton, yet none of these communities seems to have the "come look at me" power that Milford has. Why? Don't get me wrong---I loved the town. I just don't see what was supposed to make it "stand out" from the rest?

-People in town were quite friendly. I had expected to hear "Go Back to New York!" left and right from passers-by when they saw me with my camera snapping photos of their homes, but I was impressed that everyone whom I said "Good morning" to returned the gesture. I was also pleased to have several vehicles STOP for me at crosswalks to allow me to cross Broad Street. That doesn't happen in Scranton (I suppose people in Scranton are just too poorly-educated to realize that this is the LAW in PA!)

-More than anything else, I'm shocked to recently learn that Pike County is now considered to be part of the New York City television media market when parts of it were only thirty minutes away from Scranton! Meanwhile, our stations cover new stories way out in Williamsport, an hour-and-a-half away. What gives? Do those of you in Milford ever see your community on the 6 PM news in NYC? I doubt it.

-The area was VERY clean. It was refreshing to see people who look as if they take pride in their community unlike Pittston, my hometown, where people allow junk to accumulate everywhere as if they want everyone to know that they're "urban rednecks."

-Finally, you'll be surprised to learn just how small this world really is. While walking along Sawkill Avenue, I had a FedEx truck pull up alongside of me. The driver stuck his head out the window, and I thought he was going to ask me for directions. Instead, I heard "What are you doing way out here?" I soon realized it was my NEIGHBOR, who worked for FedEx here in Pittston! What are the odds that I'd drive an hour away from town and STILL bump into other Pittstonians? LOL! Anyways, he identified himself as my neighbor, and he even knew where I worked, but I don't ever remember meeting him before (Perhaps I have a new stalker?) LOL!

Enjoy the photos below, and, as always, please vote in the poll for what area you'd like to see next! I believe the Abingtons (Clarks Summit) was the next-highest on the list if I'm not mistaken, but that can change with more votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 01:06 PM

Thumbs up Welcome to the Pike County Seat of Milford, PA! (PART ONE)

The welcome sign as you enter town from I-84.

The welcome sign as you enter town from New Jersey.

Grand Union, the only supermarket I could locate in Milford. There's also a Shop-Rite in Montague, NJ and a Price Chopper in Matamoras. I parked here to avoid meter-parking downtown, but I was pleasantly surprised to see there was actually FREE parking available downtown after all!

A dwelling along Harford Street as you head towards downtown. Also note the attractive rubbish bin on the left. Trash receptacles are rare in PA downtowns for some reason or other, but they've certainly helped to keep Milford litter-free!

The Milford School House, an old school building converted into a mixed-use space. Also note the Scion xB in front! Me like, me like! BOING! Actually, there were a lot of "trendy" vehicles in town, from PT Cruisers to Mini Coopers to Toyota Priuses, indicating that the town's residents are either very Liberal, very gay, or both. LOL!

A licensing business along Harford Street.

The intersection of Harford & Broad, which is probably best described as being the "heart" of Downtown Milford. This stately stone building on the NW corner housed various small businesses, including an art gallery.

This building on the SE corner of the same intersection houses a cute little ice cream parlor. Too bad it was chilly this morning or else I would have stopped in for a cool treat!

This stately home is located on the NE corner of the intersection and was called the Milford Community House. It also housed a library, that will soon be moving...

...to this new location on Harford Street, just up the the road a bit.

Here's an attractive pair of dwellings between the ice cream shop and Sawkill Avenue.

[IMG][/IMG]
There was a small complex of older blue buildings near the intersection of Mill Street and Sawkill Avenue called "The Upper Mill." There was a cafe and a bakery here, along with various small specialty shops. Note the yellow town DPW truck in the photo: I saw it several times on various streets (Do you think the laborers inside wanted me? Grrowwwlll!) LOL!

[IMG][/IMG]
Just up the block was this complex, which had an antiques store and a few other small businesses.

[IMG][/IMG]
I fell in love with the shade of blue on these two properties in the same block...

...until I saw these outstanding shutters on this beautiful home on the other side of town! It's currently on the market too! (Unfortunately, so is a lot of Milford, as "FOR SALE" signs were quite common).

Here's "The Velveteen Habit", a small clothing boutique next-door to the intersection of Broad & Harford.

I wonder what's up with the front entry door on this place? It's an odd time of year to be replacing it, isn't it? (Maybe one too many birds flew into it? LOL!) Also note that just like the DPW truck, that blue Forester (which happens to be the same kind my mother drives), was also following me around town quite a bit. I actually thought it WAS my mother first; I assumed she had come to town to yell at me for being an hour away without telling her. Thankfully, it just looked to be a nosy person from town who liked to follow me.

One little...

Two little...

Three little realtors!

Four little...

Five little...

Six little realtors...ALL OUT TO FLEECE NEW YAHKERS! LOL! (In addition to the half-dozen other places I didn't photograph).

Harford Street, south of Broad Street.

Now THAT'S what I call a front lawn!

Another nice brick home in town.

An awesome building along Harford Street, south of Broad Street. I just love how the first-floor benath the overhang is pillared and exposed.

Wachovia Bank, Broad Street

One big...

Two big...

Three big churches...NOT out to fleece New Yahkers! LOL!

A handsome clock along Broad Street.

The Milford Diner. I wanted to stop here for lunch soooo badly, as I'm a "diner guy," but I wanted to allot myself enough time after leaving Milford to drive around a bit more. Is the food here good?

"Just Add Sugar" Cafe. What a CUTE name! Also note just how handsome the street lights are in town. That's EXACTLY what Scranton needs in its downtown!

Another scene from Broad Street. Also notice "Apple Alley." There were several roads in town named after various fruits; I always love to see "themes" in the way streets are named.

A jewelry store along Broad Street.

This beautiful hotel sits on a corner along Broad Street. It had a pretty French name that I can't remember how to spell.

An attractive dwelling next-door.

The "Tom Quick Inn." My parents stayed here a few years ago and enjoyed their stay for a romantic getaway. However, just like me, they too became bored with the town the first day they were there, as it doesn't take too long to cover every square inch of this tiny hamlet on foot.

Pike County Courthouse

Pike County Administration Building

Pike County Sheriff's Office (I thought I saw a sign that said it was built in 1812?)

This home was just so beautiful that I had to snap two photos of it!

Imagine how surprised I was to wander down a non-descript little side street and see a community theater hidden off the beaten path! Unfortunately, the sign said "Closed 'til Spring" (which means they should be open any day now!)

The Milford Town Hall, Fire Station, and Police Station are all located in the same complex just off of Broad Street.

Some more residential scenes from Milford.

There was an elderly man on the side porch of this gorgeous home who seemed to be watching me, so I snapped a quick photo when he had his head turned away to avoid conflict! LOL!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Thumbs down Westfall Township (Milford's "Chain" District)

There's a recently-opened Lowe's in town (along with a Home Depot).

Staples and Hollywood Video are the two anchor tenants for a small strip plaza that also housed a pizzeria, Golf Pro Shop, and a few other small businesses (locals should feel free to chime in with the other tenants, as I've since forgotten them!)

Yes, Virginia, there IS a McDonald's! LOL! (Along with a Wendy's and a Perkins).

Blech! Here's the epitome of corporate greed and mistreatment of employees! Ironically, there was a billboard (I believe by "Wake-Up Wal-Mart) along Route 209 just a few miles south of this store. I'm hoping the locals in Pike County aren't morons and still patronize their "mom-and-pop" stores in addition to the Wal-Mart. Otherwise, expect Westfall Township to become your "new" downtown, just as has happened in Pittston and many other Wal-Mart-dominated communities.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:07 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I am so tickled you took so many great pictures of Milford. FYI The police in Milford will give tickets to drivers who do not yield to pedestrians. That's why most folks will stop and let you cross; the residents are well trained! lol I haven't eaten at the Milford diner in a zillion years, but my mother also loves diners and she really likes it there.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I am so tickled you took so many great pictures of Milford. FYI The police in Milford will give tickets to drivers who do not yield to pedestrians. That's why most folks will stop and let you cross; the residents are well trained! lol I haven't eaten at the Milford diner in a zillion years, but my mother also loves diners and she really likes it there.

Thanks for the information! Actually, I think PA and NJ both have state laws that mandate that if a pedestrian is in the crosswalk attempting to cross a street, you must yield the right-of-way. Very few communities around here though seem to adhere to this---the only ones that come to mind for me have been Milford, Clarks Summit, Tunkhannock, and Honesdale. Then again, all four of these communities have mostly slow-moving traffic and lots of people out and about, making it easier for drivers to expect and then see pedestrians on corners. In most other communities, people would rather run you over than to risk having to stop for five seconds to let you cross. I actually got involved in a MAJOR argument in the local town of Avoca last year when I was nearly rear-ended by an SUV becuase I had stopped on Main Street to permit a woman pushing an elderly woman in a wheelchair (possibly her mother) to cross the street. The driver in the opposing lane had already stopped, so I stopped as well, forcing the guy behind me to squeal his tires to stop in time. He then proceeded to get out of his car and come over to my window and start yelling at me as the two women and the other driver looked on in amazement. I got out of my car as well and started screaming back, words were exchanged, and then another driver behind his SUV came over and broke us apart before it turned physical. I'm SOOOO tired of putting up with so many morons like him in the Scranton area day in and day out, and that's one of the few things I dislike about the area. Would he have rather me plowed over those two women just so he could make it somewhere five seconds sooner?

For a town dominated by a NJ/NYC crowd, Milford shocked me today by how NICE everyone was to me! I was in awe; I thought the locals would be all like "Damn! Another *&#^&@&@& rich tourist screwing up our peaceful town," but I was pleased to be treated so kindly by everyone I came across. I suppose this throws out the misconception that all people from NYC/NJ are rude, right?

P.S. I think Milford might be the perfect place for me to scope out for a romantic overnight date. I'm thinking it might be nice to drive my partner out on a Friday to have lunch at the Milford Diner, followed by strolling the town, touring the Grey Tower, and then a dinner at the Tom Quick Inne, where we'd also spend the night after heading to that cute little theater to catch a movie. It's only an hour away from home, which makes it a convenient yet romantic getaway. I just hope the massive growth that was occurring in the Westfall area doesn't start to slowly-yet-surely destroy the charm of Pike County the way it has already done to Monroe County.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics! Where in NJ do you live, exactly? I could do a Sussex County photo tour someday as well! LOL!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:23 PM

470 posts, read 1,707,405 times
I can't wait to share the link with my family so they can see where I'm moving shortly. It's interesting you mention lots of "FOR SALE" signs, the one home I found among my tri-state real estate search that I couldn't live without, had an offer on it one week on the market in Dingmans.

I heard today that in several years, Milford will be the home to 2000 relocated employees from the Wall Street Data Center.

SWB - Your idea of a romantic date sounds heavenly.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 PM

96 posts, read 583,170 times
another nice photo tour, I have never been through milford, but now I feel like I have

Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM

487 posts, read 1,374,529 times
What a beautiful photo tour! We were there in the fall and now we wish we were back. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I think Milford would be nice for a romantic weekend. You could stroll not only the downtown area, but if the weather is agreeable, you could go to Milford Beach, or the state park off of Rt. 209 just south of Milford, which has some beautiful waterfalls. I can't recall the name, but there are signs. I would also recommend the Dimmick Inn for dinner. I think you are right about the state law for yielding to pedestrians, but Milford is the only place I've heard of that regularly tickets cars for not obeying. And you'd better not drive much over that 25 mph speed limit either! It's very pedestrian friendly.

I think people in Milford are nice because the nicer folks in NJ and NYC got sick of the rudeness and moved to Milford.

I did live in Sussex County but I don't anymore, and to be truthful there are not many lovely areas to take pictures of. It's not bad there, but it's nothing to get excited over. Probably IMO Stillwater is the prettiest town, but it is very small. I'm in the Trenton/Princeton 'burbs now. I wish I had a digital camera because some photo tours of this area would definitely be appreciated by the many folks from the NYC area that are relocating here.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:32 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Excellent!...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania