Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times

Advertisements

Johnstown could probably use a few more people like you, people willing to take a chance and willing to make a difference.

I've got scads of relatives that live around Johnstown (mostly Windber, my mom's hometown). My take on the area is that it suffers from the same maladies as metro areas of its size and history (shuttered manufacturing plants etc.). If you're into hiking, camping, fishing, skiing, it's a fantastic location. The mountains are gorgeous, year-round. A trip up the incline and another to the flood museum are worth the effort.

Quote:
Windber has a world class health research institute and medical center and is about 5 mi. from your business.
That's a pleasant surprise. Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 35,241 times
Default Moxham?

I'm considering a home located near Park Ave & Ohio St. I think this is part of the Moxham district? Is that right? And how is this area? Somewhere I think I read it is a Historic District? Thanks much...

Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,029 times
Default It's Moxham

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeepleeze View Post
I'm considering a home located near Park Ave & Ohio St. I think this is part of the Moxham district? Is that right? And how is this area? Somewhere I think I read it is a Historic District? Thanks much...
Park and Ohio are in the Moxham neighborhood of the city. I'm not positive if it is within the historic district of the neighborhood or not. I know a lot of the neighborhood is, but not sure of the boundary. I lived in Moxham for 9 years growing up (800 block of Grove/500 block of Coleman) and my brother still lives there (Cypress Ave & Charles St). Lately it has been known for some trouble moving into the area, mostly roudy teens. The long-term residents who have been there for years are nice. It still is nice overall, and your area is usually quiet. Most of the neighborhood takes pride in their area and maintain their properties.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,136 times
I have lived in Johnstown all my life and WOULD NEVER live any where else. Yes I agree, the ecomomy leaves alot to be desired and there isnt alot of nightlife. BUT it is a GREAT small town, perfect for raising a family or coming back and retiring . Crime is pretty low. The camraderie is high. Johnstown has " survived " 3 floods . We bounce back . Things may not be the same as they used to be . The only thing that ever stays the same is things are always changing . Thats anywhere. So if your looking for a booming ecomomy and night clubs and crime , drug infested streets . NO Johnstown is NOT for you. With our economy and cost of living being low, we dont have alot of homeless people. Big cities have high crime because homeless people cant meet the expenses in the big cities and crime is higher because people are resorting to unethical means of surviving. Johnstown has people with good morals and strong family and community values. The history, combined with the beauty of this region make it a beautiful place to live . The JOhnstown magazine showcases this town wonderfully. I agree some areas are better than others. I grew up in the West End or Morrellville as us "Hunkies" know it . As a little girl we went to McKees and Blaine Borings and bought penny candy. The neighborhoods were full of the families of our ancestors who came here from Germany, Poland, Checloslavakia, etc. Then for lack of a better phrase , that era went to a better place. The houses went on the market very cheap , low income families and section 8 moved in. That part of town is longer what it used to be. It is depressing in some ways, but again everything changes and we just learn to life as it comes to us . I still live in Johnstown, and there are things to do you just have to look and have a open mind . We have Thunder in the Valley every year. Folk Fest , which is Great to go to regardles of what some may say. You go to Folk Fest to enjoy good food, music and PEOPLE. You run into people you havent seen in years.Then its like you saw them yesterday. We have Coney Island & Johnnies Rest. all staples of this area . Im proud to call Johnstown home : )

Old 07-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Additional info...

Just in case anyone is still interested....

Yes, Johnstown's economy is lack-luster. But the L&I Workforce Analysis & Statistics department has analyzed our labor market and has some good news to report:

The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA - Flood altered jobs picture, but analyst sees hope

Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 12,978 times
My goodness, I can't wait to read the book -- that's right the BOOK -- t
that some of these posters must be writing -- you know, the one that
goes ON THE RECORD? It'll be a best seller!
Hurry, the 2008 elections are right around the corner.
And if one could prove all of those allegations, well there would be rounds
of talk show appearances on "that network"...

Okay, so you'd have to be living in a cave to miss the cronyism, but
is it really so bad as all that? But that's EVERYWHERE?! (I wish Las
Vegas or Beltway residents would comment!)

Meantime, the Geistown/Richland area has a great school district and
much commerce, an Industrial Park, and the ever expanding University of
Pittsburgh at Johnstown.

Westmont is another interesting option for those considering relocation
to Johnstown. "Old Westmont" (the area near the Incline) has some great
old Victorian era houses for the restoration happy. Also one of the area's
better school districts.

The farmer's market is great downtown...runs most of the summer...
such beautiful countryside -- just minutes away -- state parks, camping,
interesting cultural attractions.

Oh well.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:09 PM

71 posts, read 354,135 times
johnstown is nt the town for a person from so cal. that's all i'm saying.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Correct, Johnstown isn't for everyone. For anyone considering moving here, please make certain it's the kind of town you want to live in.

It's not a hopping metropolis like NYC or LA or Philly or even Pittsburgh (although we have more in common with PGH than the others).

Overall, it is a place with friendly and community minded folks, family values and interesting activities. We try our best to be a good community given the resources we have and the circumstances we have (and continue) to encounter. It's down to earth and family friendly, not glitz, glam or fast-paced.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 12,473 times
It has been a life long goal to return to the Johnsotwn area. After living most of my life in Chicago. I could not wait to live in the mountains once again. I agree its not easy being a newbee. But its not easy being new anywhere.The last few years in Chicago, I stopped going to events. Too much trouble and dangerous. This past summer I went to both festivals and LOVED it! The food! The music!One has to be ready for another type of lifestyle. To embrace its differences!The natural beauty in Johnstown is stunning!!My hope is that Kernnville will be the art community of PA! That large company employeers pay more.The excellent school system continues. And that glass recycling returns.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 12,362 times
i've lived in johnstown my entire life. i'm 22 years old and i go to college. throughout that time i've taken road trips across the country, stayed in pittsburgh, virginia beach NYC and florida. before i went to all these places i thought, like many of you do, that johnstown was the best place on earth simply because i did not know any better. after i visited these other places i found out how much of a boundary was set around johnstown and how under developed it was. at first i just thought thats the way it was its just a small town no big deal. but then i scratched the surface and realized why its the way it is. for one nobody wants to change in this town what so ever. i mean look at the down town area. its a joke. there is nothing going on there two things happen per year folk fest and thunder in the valley. please dont get me wrong i love these two events, even though i think its stupid that they moved folk fest from the west end but thats beside the point. back on the topic of change in the downtown area, look at the point stadium. the local government spent money restoring that stadium to be used once a year for the AAABA tournament. why not have concerts there in the summer or any other outdoor event for that matter. remember when johnstown had a professional baseball team? i do. they lasted what 1 maybe 2 seasons. that leads me to my next point. now before i say this i should specify that i did not come from a family with loads of money. my father worked as a carpenter his entire life and my mother works for the housing authority and has for 25 years. However, my second point is that the town has absolutely no money. Sure Mr. Murtha contributes a lot to the community and is a great philanthropist but one man cannot do it all. there is a reason why there is no money in johnstown. there is simply no economy. after the collapse of the steel industry there has been nothing in the area that creates revenue, save but a few (government contracts, hospitals, hospitals, rehab centers, old folks homes, and ohh yeah hospitals). it is just a silly pipe dream if you think that that town will ever go anywhere. unless foreign steel competition falls off the face of the earth then johnstown will never ever be what it once was. i love the countryside and the beauty of the land and i completely agree that western pennsylvania is truly a beautiful place. driving through the countryside in the summer or even the autumn is a spectacle that should not go unnoticed. Finally i will get off of my soap box. in my opinion this is not a very ideal place to live or raise a business. i've worked for several small businesses in my day, one a well established place which did alot of business the other was a business that tried to start up but did not work one bit. the guy went bankrupt. the fact of the matter is that if your not starting a bar, chinese restaurant or a dollar store then dont waste your time on this stupid stupid town. its in the gutter. there is absolutely nothing to do here. unless your a doctor, teacher, lawyer, or some other naturally high paying job your never going to make it here. its a joke. do not come here please save your self the trouble. honestly take a sample of the population and compare it with how many people want to leave or have left. you will be surprised. johnstown sucks there is absolutely nothing there. if you stay its because its easy for you and its what you know, which is completely understandable, i realize that moving is difficult but to say that this place is one of the greatest places to live or raise kids? is an absolute travesty. i'm not saying that everybody should move and i'm not calling people idiots for staying there blah blah blah i'm not trying to insult people i'm just giving my opinion on what i know of 22 years of living in that burnt out place. drug use and poverty run rampant here unless you are part of the upper class which in reality is the middle class which should show you how poor and lame the community actually is. everything is half assed. the school system sucks there are in my opinion four good schools in the area, richland, westmont, johnstown high, and connemaugh township.

if you want to start a business here i would highly recommend reconsidering because this place is an absolute waste.

Last edited by secret sauc002; 04-04-2008 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania