Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 07:43 AM

9 posts, read 11,610 times

Advertisements

I want to live somewhere smack dab in the middle between Cleveland, OH and Charleston, WV. I also have friends in Morgantown, WV, so close proximity to there would be preferred.

I found Marietta, OH / Parkersburg, WV to be the perfect distance. However, I have to stay within the Pennsylvania border for certain reasons (that can be changed eventually, but not right now).

I don't care about the type of area, besides it being safe and having places to rent and enough stores. Cute towns are preferred, but not 100% necessary!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 09:42 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,073 times
I live over on the other side of PA (outside Philly), but just by mapping it, I'd say it looks like Cleveland to Charleston is pretty much a straight shot south. Looks like your best bet would be as close to the border in southwest PA will be your best bet. I know nothing about that area, though, so hopefully others can chime in on your behalf.

ETA: I see nothing that resembles a "cute town" in the southwest portion of the state closest to the OH and WV borders. It all appears very rural.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:50 PM

10,845 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDoSoPa View Post
I want to live somewhere smack dab in the middle between Cleveland, OH and Charleston, WV. I also have friends in Morgantown, WV, so close proximity to there would be preferred.

I found Marietta, OH / Parkersburg, WV to be the perfect distance. However, I have to stay within the Pennsylvania border for certain reasons (that can be changed eventually, but not right now).

I don't care about the type of area, besides it being safe and having places to rent and enough stores. Cute towns are preferred, but not 100% necessary!

dont worry, you will get off parole one day... (kidding)

what about pitt or a 'burb itself? interstates to each location, less back roads....less mothmen....

Old 09-23-2021, 06:41 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I'd choose to live closer to Cleveland than to West Virginia, but I'm extremely biased.

I always thought Mercer was cute, but I haven't been there in a couple of decades.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I was thinking Washington, PA. It is right along I-79 for ease of accessibility to get down to Charleston, WV, and you can take it up to Cranberry Township, PA to hop onto I-76 West to get to Cleveland. It would be just about 3 hours from Washington, PA to either Cleveland or Charleston. You would be an hour from Morgantown, so maybe you and your friends could meet halfway sometimes for lunch or dinner in/around Waynesburg, PA.

Washington, PA itself isn't all that "cute", but it has a functional Downtown and is surrounded by the typical American suburban sprawl (i.e. Target, Lowe's, Walmart, fast-food, gas stations, banks, etc.).

Old 09-25-2021, 12:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:

Look at a map, anything in proximity to Interstate 79 works for you.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I was thinking Washington, PA. It is right along I-79 for ease of accessibility to get down to Charleston, WV, and you can take it up to Cranberry Township, PA to hop onto I-76 West to get to Cleveland. It would be just about 3 hours from Washington, PA to either Cleveland or Charleston. You would be an hour from Morgantown, so maybe you and your friends could meet halfway sometimes for lunch or dinner in/around Waynesburg, PA.

Washington, PA itself isn't all that "cute", but it has a functional Downtown and is surrounded by the typical American suburban sprawl (i.e. Target, Lowe's, Walmart, fast-food, gas stations, banks, etc.).
Agreed! Washington is on my shortlist! I'm finding the apartment hunt to be quite sparse there, but I'm staying on the lookout. Thank you! The downtown is rather cute, IMO. It's all about how you look at it

Old 10-06-2021, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
dont worry, you will get off parole one day... (kidding)

what about pitt or a 'burb itself? interstates to each location, less back roads....less mothmen....
Hahaha it's to keep the same doc throughout treatment BUT if it was parole, I wouldn't be ashamed and I would say "thank you" for the pep talk

Maybe the mothman will let me move in with him. In that case, I'll start looking at Point Pleasant. Agreed w/ the Pittsburgh suburbs. Fam still thinks that's too far away, but talking on here makes me realize it's really not. Thanks!!!

Old 10-06-2021, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd choose to live closer to Cleveland than to West Virginia, but I'm extremely biased.

I always thought Mercer was cute, but I haven't been there in a couple of decades.
I understand this bias, as well. If I didn't have family and friends there, I'd completely agree. Still trying to work out what I "want", but who really knows that anyway? I'm considering a cabin in a remote forest with just a bunch of cats, but time will tell.

I'll check out Mercer, PA! That's a definite option that I hadn't added to my list yet, so thank you super a lot xoxo

Old 10-15-2021, 07:01 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,713 times
Quote:
I understand this bias, as well. If I didn't have family and friends there, I'd completely agree. Still trying to work out what I "want", but who really knows that anyway? I'm considering a cabin in a remote forest with just a bunch of cats, but time will tell.

I'll check out Mercer, PA! That's a definite option that I hadn't added to my list yet, so thank you super a lot xoxo
Hermitage is a nice stable area in Mercer County. It may be the only growing municipality in Mercer County. That’s where the money is. You are close enough to small urban towns and cities for things to do. Erie is less than an hour drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania