Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:37 AM

481 posts, read 424,444 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the replies! Lots of outer Philly areas are quite popular!

To pivot the thread slightly, has anyone lived in any more rural areas or small towns? What is it like? Any you would recommend in western or central PA? Any places with a lot of land one can just freely walk/hike around?

This whole urban living thing really isn't all it's cracked up to be. I know NYC isn't representative of all places, and it's better than the suburbs, but darn does the human crush set in. I've already whinged throughout CityData about the suburbs, but I did enjoy the short time I was in a rural area. Just being able to go out and walk in nature was extremely pleasant. I also found small towns like Steubenville, Ohio very nice. Maybe I should consider northern WV and southeastern Ohio as well.

Last edited by sad_hotline; 07-09-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 01:22 PM

755 posts, read 474,212 times
Curious what you mean by "creepy" when referring to Pittsburgh? We moved here two years ago, and that does not describe our experience (unless you are referring to all the Halloween activities - which Pittsburghers do seem to be quite fond of). ;-)

Old 07-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Curious what you mean by "creepy" when referring to Pittsburgh? We moved here two years ago, and that does not describe our experience (unless you are referring to all the Halloween activities - which Pittsburghers do seem to be quite fond of). ;-)
It's unfortunately not as creepy as rural PA (obvious comparison being various run down tunnels and our semi-famous permanently smoldering ghost town) and lacks that unsettling air I feel in Massachusetts, but I can appreciate Ravenholm-esque, Gothic horror when I wandered the South Side Slopes. It is excellently topped off perhaps by the wonderful plethora of churches scattered across the hillside.

Of course, "creepy" is inherently subjective, and has to be felt by the stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't pair it with actual uneasiness, such as when I traveled in Camden: that more falls under fear of raw physical safety from other humans. Creepy envokes a more fantastical, supernatural air. A fear, maybe of man, but more of something intangible.

Considering regional dreariness, I may ascribe a song such as this to match the city's creepiness. I consider the song best suited for the Great Lakes, and I would need to be in Pittsburgh to pick a more ideal sound, but I can certainly hear and see it in still images with this score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0qx4c-xqe0

To ramble: one thing I have grown to truly appreciate about our state is its creepniess. The weather-worn, time-beaten homes throughout. The thick forests, and the sea brown jaggedness they leave when their leaves fall. The mists turning to fogs bleeding down from the hills to blanket the fields. The old churches against the grey skies. I can go on. True, we are not the Bayou, we are not as spiritually and historically creepy as New England, and we do not have our own 'The Hum' to score our state, but we are incidentally gifted with a creepy beauty unique to our land. I try and fail to capture it in word. It must be felt, walking alone, with a determination to find it. It is in the rain, the sky, the buildings, the topography, the sounds, the history, and the people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAYSoWwaWbM

Old 07-12-2019, 05:57 PM

755 posts, read 474,212 times
Ok. I wish I could say that I understand, but I don't. Nonetheless, I appreciate your aesthetic and the funky narrative. The cities of Greensburg and Washington, PA might fit what you are looking for. Greensburg is very close to the beautiful Laurel Highlands. And Washington is not too far. Also close to one of my favorite natural areas, Quebec Run.

Last edited by Charley Barker; 07-12-2019 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-13-2019, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,502 times
Default Valley Township

Don't be fooled by the Coatesville zip code. We're just west of Coatesville. Ive been on the board of supervisors for 15 years with 3 to go in my 3rd term. I am amazed at the changes and the progress in those years. We're close enough to Philly to easily enjoy concerts and sports. World class museums. You seem to know what Philly offers so let's just say its 45 minutes away. There's a country charm thats natural and not over bearing. Hey we have running water and even inside comodes. 😳 . taxes are low unlike our neighbor Coatesville. If you need more info or would like to tour the are please contact me via text. You can get my info from the township. Any way I can help let me know. C Lehenky. ✌

Old 07-13-2019, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,502 times
I just read your "pivot" thread. Valley isn't so creepy. Most of Pennsylvania is not. A few exeptions around I'm sure. We have a lot of natural areas for just about everything outdoors. Hiking,fishing and such. Check out Hibernia park ... Marsh Creek (lake) ... Chambers Lake. All in chester county. Just a stones throw from Valley. My wife goes rock climbing indoors and out. Your looking to establish roots so take your time. It's a big decision. Good luck. I wish you and yours only joy with whatever decision you make. I just love it here. ✌

Old 07-14-2019, 07:49 PM

I appreciate the suggestions! The Laurel Highlands look beautiful. I only visited Falling Water, but I imagine there is plenty of beautiful outdoors beyond that. I'll look more into Chester too Locobreth. Seems you have found a very nice balance.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:31 AM

14,260 posts, read 9,138,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
It's unfortunately not as creepy as rural PA (obvious comparison being various run down tunnels and our semi-famous permanently smoldering ghost town) and lacks that unsettling air I feel in Massachusetts, but I can appreciate Ravenholm-esque, Gothic horror when I wandered the South Side Slopes. It is excellently topped off perhaps by the wonderful plethora of churches scattered across the hillside.

Of course, "creepy" is inherently subjective, and has to be felt by the stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't pair it with actual uneasiness, such as when I traveled in Camden: that more falls under fear of raw physical safety from other humans. Creepy envokes a more fantastical, supernatural air. A fear, maybe of man, but more of something intangible.

Considering regional dreariness, I may ascribe a song such as this to match the city's creepiness. I consider the song best suited for the Great Lakes, and I would need to be in Pittsburgh to pick a more ideal sound, but I can certainly hear and see it in still images with this score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0qx4c-xqe0

To ramble: one thing I have grown to truly appreciate about our state is its creepniess. The weather-worn, time-beaten homes throughout. The thick forests, and the sea brown jaggedness they leave when their leaves fall. The mists turning to fogs bleeding down from the hills to blanket the fields. The old churches against the grey skies. I can go on. True, we are not the Bayou, we are not as spiritually and historically creepy as New England, and we do not have our own 'The Hum' to score our state, but we are incidentally gifted with a creepy beauty unique to our land. I try and fail to capture it in word. It must be felt, walking alone, with a determination to find it. It is in the rain, the sky, the buildings, the topography, the sounds, the history, and the people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAYSoWwaWbM
One of the more interesting uses of the word "creepy" I've run across.

I usually associate a sense of unease with the term. Much of what you describe I'd class as quirky, haunting, enchanting or even bizarre (Centralia, the ghost town with the mine fire they can't put out under it), but none of it gives me the creeps.

"Fascinating" is probably the single word I would use to describe Pennsylvania as a whole.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:44 AM

14,260 posts, read 9,138,266 times
On your general question:

Of course, the healthcare ecosystem in Philadelphia is unrivaled anywhere else in the state, UPMC's efforts in Pittsburgh notwithstanding.

But: Geisinger Health System, which is based in Danville and serves much of central and southern Pennsylvania, has an outstanding reputation as one of the top healthcare organizations in the country. You'd probably appreciate its values and ethics, and most of their service area is comprised of smaller towns, smallish cities and rural communities - you'd be closer to the country you'd want to explore.

However: It seems you want urban stimulation, but not too much of it. That's going to be a very delicate and difficult balance to strike no matter where you choose to settle. Places like West Chester Borough, Lancaster, Harrisburg/Hershey would all seem to me to be excellent choices in that regard. I'm not that familiar with the Lehigh Valley (my one excursion into it was to the town of Jim Thorpe, which is charming as all get out), but I do know that Emmaus is the former home of Rodale, publisher of a slew of healthy-living and eco-conscious titles (Prevention, Men's Health, Rodale's Organic Life, Runner's World, Bicycling...), so you should find lots of good outdoorsy stuff in the area. (The Hearst Corporation bought Rodale in 2017 and moved the operation to New York. Feh.)

Old 07-16-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One of the more interesting uses of the word "creepy" I've run across.

I usually associate a sense of unease with the term. Much of what you describe I'd class as quirky, haunting, enchanting or even bizarre (Centralia, the ghost town with the mine fire they can't put out under it), but none of it gives me the creeps.

"Fascinating" is probably the single word I would use to describe Pennsylvania as a whole.
Ah, I believe we can parley at "bizarre". I do very much enjoy the "bizarre": I was just reading up on the PA Abandoned Turnpike. I will certainly have to venture out there sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
On your general question:

Of course, the healthcare ecosystem in Philadelphia is unrivaled anywhere else in the state, UPMC's efforts in Pittsburgh notwithstanding.

But: Geisinger Health System, which is based in Danville and serves much of central and southern Pennsylvania, has an outstanding reputation as one of the top healthcare organizations in the country. You'd probably appreciate its values and ethics, and most of their service area is comprised of smaller towns, smallish cities and rural communities - you'd be closer to the country you'd want to explore.

However: It seems you want urban stimulation, but not too much of it. That's going to be a very delicate and difficult balance to strike no matter where you choose to settle. Places like West Chester Borough, Lancaster, Harrisburg/Hershey would all seem to me to be excellent choices in that regard. I'm not that familiar with the Lehigh Valley (my one excursion into it was to the town of Jim Thorpe, which is charming as all get out), but I do know that Emmaus is the former home of Rodale, publisher of a slew of healthy-living and eco-conscious titles (Prevention, Men's Health, Rodale's Organic Life, Runner's World, Bicycling...), so you should find lots of good outdoorsy stuff in the area. (The Hearst Corporation bought Rodale in 2017 and moved the operation to New York. Feh.)
Wow, I was not aware of Geisinger, nor that it was so highly respected! I shall definitely look into it. I imagine the need is quite great in their area of coverage. Their integrated delivery of care is definitely a plus.

Thanks for suggesting places that try to strike a balance. Over the coming months I'm going to do intensive research into a lot of the areas mentioned in the thread and their healthcare systems, as well as what they offer. More than that though, I have to ask myself what I'm really looking for. I complained when I was in the suburbs, and lo and behold, now I'm in the city and complaining as well. Maybe what I'm looking for, deep down, cannot be found in a place. Maybe it's a person, or group of people? Maybe it's a way of life? Despite all my lists and schemes, I am uncertain what I am truly looking for. I wonder if this is common.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania