Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:23 PM

118 posts, read 149,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmmm, if your wife thought it was too busy in N. Wales, I'm afraid that SE PA may not be for your family. That is, the closer one gets to being really near/in Philly, the " hustle and bustle" will increase.

That said, Philly has a 200+ year old history of Roman Catholicism. So that may outweigh other things.
I think the big thing for her would be adjusting to driving. She's not fond of driving when we're there, but that's mostly because I'm there to do the driving so she doesn't have to.

I know...a real Prince Charming. How did she *ever* get so lucky?

Last edited by Pullenaway; 11-23-2017 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Of all the people you'd describe as giving a "canned" response, I think I'm one of the last.

Yes, I do make much of the same points in favor of Philadelphia when I recommend it. Why shouldn't I, especially when I can count on someone like you to shoot them down completely, Mr. I-Don't-Like-Mass-Transit-And-You-Shouldn't-Either?

But I did mention the wage tax when describing the situation here in this post. Go back through my prior posts advocating living in Philadelphia or its neighborhoods and see where I did that. What I try to do is counter the negative stereotypes often thrown up about this city.

Which, I'm fond of saying, "is underrated, and nobody underrates it more than the natives."

(Natives who post here like kyb01 excluded from this judgement.)

Since we're discussing religion and politics, sort of, it might be worth noting that Catholics come in liberal and conservative versions too, and the difference often depends on which elements of Catholic moral teaching the given Catholic emphasizes.

From what I know of it, Catholic doctrine is "conservative" on matters of sexual behavior and "liberal" on matters economic. You won't find much on the personal-behavior stuff in the pages of the National Catholic Reporter, the nation's leading liberal Catholic newspaper.

I'm the only male member of the family on my father's side who did not convert to Roman Catholicism as an adult. (My brother's Knights of Columbus buddies egged me on when they learned I was an Episcopalian: "Well, you're almost a Catholic already. Why not take the next step?")

After my Dad's older brother converted, I got him a subscription to the National Catholic Reporter (which is published in Kansas City) for Christmas. When I asked him how he liked it, he gave a lukewarm response. I found out why the following Christmas, when I returned home and saw the stacks of National Catholic Registers in my grandmother's old home, which he inherited.

The Register is the oldest national Catholic newspaper and tends to downplay the social-justice stuff that the Reporter plays up.
Yep. I've subscribed to the Register before.

Lest I derail the thread, I understand that there is a lot going for us in terms of religion in terms of variety and options. I think that the Philly area is nice but as I've said elsewhere (I think) we just have to be very careful where we look. The big issue, cost of living, gets very pronounced closer to the cities as you (and others) have pointed out.

Politics is going to be what it is. I'm not worried about that--if I was, I suppose I would stay in AL. I hope that helps.

I am surprised, though, at how much cheaper Philly is than other cities in the region. It's still expensive by my metrics (again reference where I'm coming from) but worth a look. Thanks for the input! Keep it coming. I appreciate it!

Old 11-23-2017, 07:33 PM

274 posts, read 328,422 times
I live near North Wales and it is more expensive. I would suggest going just a little west and north if you like this area but want slightly lower prices, and slightly less busy, more rural. Try looking along Route 663 from Pottstown to Pennsburg to Quakertown. Green Lane Reservoir near Pennsburg and Nockamixon Park near Quakertown are great. You could run at Green Lane. You would be near your relatives in North Wales. Close enough for picnics!

Then you'd still be close enough to Philly for sports or concerts or events, but have that more rural small town life style.

Best of Luck! I think change is good for kids. Broadens their outlook.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
We are newcomers to PA...moved to Cashtown, a booming population of 500. Absolutely in love with this area. We are history buffs so look forward to visiting Gettysburg, a mere 8 miles away. Except during the anniversary, lol. There is large city (in my eyes) called Chambersburg about 20 minutes away that Deq can tell you about.

Our loves are orchards, rural settings, historic buildings and areas. Only negative is we will have to go to Harrisburg to get a bus or train to go up North. I think I can live with that.

Next year I will take huge advantage of the orchards to get produce to can. Have a small yard so I can grow veggies.

I am a Northerner with liberal inclinations and have found the folks to be welcoming nonetheless - this area is rather conservative. Think your wife would like the southern part of PA, a slightly southern feel to it. But it has its own way of being.
I love to garden as well...I grow Italian Frying Peppers (several varieties), Basil, and a couple of different types of Italian Tomatoes.

So far, we've not met anyone that is not at least civil. My family and I have spent the week in Philly and Washington (south of Pittsburgh) and we've had an absolute blast. We went to the Carnegie Museum of History yesterday and my kids loved it. We drove by Carnegie Mellon University (my dad went to college there and that's where he met my mom, who went to Mt.Mercy College,but it's not called that any more. Carlow College? Not sure, and I think we drove past it on the way back to 376...).

This is not my first time in PA, and the more I come here the more I love it and want to make it home.

Last edited by Pullenaway; 11-23-2017 at 07:47 PM..

Old 11-23-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
OP, I think it's wonderful that you have 7 kids! I am from an Irish Catholic family where large families were the norm back in the 50's/60's. I'm an only child and always envied all my cousins with their many siblings. So no judging here!

I'm from the Phila. suburbs so I'm partial to that area, but the $265K budget will be a problem. As well as the taxes, in many localities. I did a lot of traveling up the Northeast Extension and I was also going to suggest the Lehigh Valley -- beautiful area, not as expensive as Philly but still close enough to the "big city". Plus an easy commute to see your Pittsburgh fam as well. I definitely would not advise the city of Philadelphia -- not that I don't think it's great, but I don't think urban life is what you're looking for and I think it would be a HUGE culture shock for your wife.

You won't have a problem finding Catholic churches and schools in the area -- tons of Catholics in Eastern PA.
You and another couple of posters have been really helpful. Thanks! Really, everyone has tbh.

We met several couples that are my parents' age this week (we're currently staying with friends in Washington County), and they all said the same thing you did. I was worried folks would not be nice...we occasonally get that when we go out to eat or are elsewhere in public, but here it's been fine. No worse, if that makes sense.

The Lehigh Valley sounds attractive to me on so many levels...I like being able to have access to a big city without having to live in one.That's one of the things I miss about Long Island (where I used to live and teach). It's also close enough to my extended family in NY, Maine, Philly, and Pittsburgh that we can make the drive easily. The drive from Philly to Washington County we made Monday was long, but really scenic and easy to make.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
I live near North Wales and it is more expensive. I would suggest going just a little west and north if you like this area but want slightly lower prices, and slightly less busy, more rural. Try looking along Route 663 from Pottstown to Pennsburg to Quakertown. Green Lane Reservoir near Pennsburg and Nockamixon Park near Quakertown are great. You could run at Green Lane. You would be near your relatives in North Wales. Close enough for picnics!

Then you'd still be close enough to Philly for sports or concerts or events, but have that more rural small town life style.

Best of Luck! I think change is good for kids. Broadens their outlook.

You nailed it,so I'll say it: I really want my kids to see something else. I hope that doesn't come across as selfish, but that's just how I feel.

Thanks for the suggestions...I will add them to our list! Feel free to keep sending us any info. We'll take any and all insights!

Old 11-23-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Crazy? No, but I find it a bit odd. I have become a snowbird in recent years, usually to the gulf coast. Eastern PA isn't a bad area to live if you can overcome to major shocks. The cost of living will be much higher than you are used to. I have spent time in recent years in Pensacola and Gulfport, and it's much cheaper there.
Spend at least one winter here before buying a house. It's not just the cold that gets you, it's the gloom, lack of sunshine, dark outside at 4:30 in the afternoon, all the different shades of gray.
If these two things don't bother you, eastern PA will be a great place to live.
Thanks for the candid response! The weather isn't too much of an issue for me; that's one of the reasons I want to move away.

Familiar with the airport at Gfpt and know Pensacola fairly well also. Lots of snowbirds there, and also in Orange Beach, AL.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 PM

14,301 posts, read 9,184,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullenaway View Post
The drive from Philly to Washington County we made Monday was long, but really scenic and easy to make.
Via the Turnpike or via US 30?

My first trip across Pennsylvania was a trip from west to east across the state via US 30, which my Mom decided we would take from Pittsburgh to Atlantic City in order to actually see some of the state. It was a fascinating drive. This was in 1973, when I was in high school.

I've done Philly-Pittsburgh via the Turnpike too, as well as Philly-points west via the Turnpike and I-70 west of New Stanton, which would take you right through Washington. Some nice scenery along this route, but no interesting attractions unless you got off it and drove a little bit.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,331,587 times
Quote:
You and another couple of posters have been really helpful. Thanks! Really, everyone has tbh.

We met several couples that are my parents' age this week (we're currently staying with friends in Washington County), and they all said the same thing you did. I was worried folks would not be nice...we occasonally get that when we go out to eat or are elsewhere in public, but here it's been fine. No worse, if that makes sense.

The Lehigh Valley sounds attractive to me on so many levels...I like being able to have access to a big city without having to live in one.That's one of the things I miss about Long Island (where I used to live and teach). It's also close enough to my extended family in NY, Maine, Philly, and Pittsburgh that we can make the drive easily. The drive from Philly to Washington County we made Monday was long, but really scenic and easy to make.

The Lehigh Valley is absolutely wonderful! You have a large number of universities, and a growing eds & meds sector in the economy and a great deal of economic development and close proximity to (NYC/Philly/Poconos). Bethlehem is absolutely gorgeous and Allentown is undergoing a renaissance, with major economic development, and basically creating a whole new urban downtown. I am in love with Bethlehem and its colonial architecture.

With that, I 100% still recommend checking out Lancaster (and with that Downtown Lancaster/Litiz/Ephrata and even Route 30 out to places like Gap), based on your feedback and needs, and I think it would come in #2 to the Lehigh Valley. It is about the same distance to Philadelphia as the Lehigh Valley and just a tad smaller (about 500k v. 800k), but has so much iconic character that is just SO PENNSYLVANIA. And LOADS of colonial architecture. Lancaster and Chester County Pennsylvania are iconic. The farm landscape with the bucolic scenary and 300 year old farmhouses are just stunning. There is NOTHING like it in the USA. and 100% worth visting. Reading your input/insight it seems those stand out.

And with that if Geography (and distance to NYC/Long Island) was not a factor then I would 100% recommend Pittsburgh suburbs. Places like Bethel Park and Upper St. Clair will blow you away. Pittsburgh is a truly amazing place. It is perhaps THE MOST AFFORDABLE CITY in the Northeast to offer the amount of AMENITIES for a family. There is ZERO comparison. (even though arguments could be made if it is Northeast. It definitely still qualifies the fringe of the Northeast. As PA is 100% a NE state.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 11-23-2017 at 09:32 PM..

Old 11-23-2017, 10:15 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,431,286 times
Quote:
I have it,then. I absolutely hate weather above 85 degrees, even if there's water nearby. The swimming pools turn into giant warm water baths...not refreshing at all. High humidity just sucks the life out of you. I'm a distance runner (when I'm focused) and it's just brutal running in July, August, and September. October is also tough because the humidity is still high.You literally get soaked exercising for 5 minutes because of all the moisture in the air.

Weather is a factor in our decision to move, albiet not the main reason. I am indifferent about the gray days. Where I live in AL, it rains almost every day from April through October. It's not gray all day, but it's still lousy weather, IMHO. It rains so hard you have to pull off the road because you can't see and everybody with 4WD tries to drive at top speed, ending up in a ditch some of the time.
Hey OP, sounds like you're getting hepped up on PA, but just remember the humidity in summer can be brutal there too. You can definitely get long stretches on 90+ degrees and stifling humidity. But the difference between there and FL (where I live now) is that there can be breaks in the humidity -- whereas, in FL, you know it's gonna be 90+ the entire summer and into October. I was up at the Jersey shore a few summers ago (in August) and the weather was delightful. But sometimes in August, you can cut the humidity with a knife....just depends what "weather system" is in play.

I never thought of Philly as dreary and gray in the winter....until I moved to FL and went back to visit. I was there last week and it just looked depressing, compared to my current sunshine and palm trees. The fall foliage was pretty, though...that's something you don't get down here. But also it's depressing when all the trees are bare in winter, and that is very noticeable when you're not used to seeing it.

Just some more random thoughts from a Philly native now on the Gulf Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania