Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:35 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times

Advertisements

SEPA Red Cross Opens Shelters in Preparation for Hurricane Sandy

Quote:
Philadelphia: (NOW OPEN)
West Philadelphia High School, 4901 Chestnut Street
Roxborough High School, 6498 Ridge Avenue
Samuel Fels High School, 5500 Langdon Street

Delaware County: (All open at 10 am Mon. 10/29 at 9 am) Not Pet Friendly (yet, but could change)
East Lansdowne Elementary, 401 Emerson Ave, Lansdowne 19050 (Opens Monday 10/29 9am)
Ridley Middle School, 400 Free Street, Ridley Park, 19078 (Opens Monday 10/29 at 9 am)
Showalter Science & Discovery School, 1100 W. 10th St., Chester, 19013 (Opens Monday 10/29 at 9am)

Bucks County: (Different opening times) Pets TBA
Palisades High School, 35 Church Hill Road, Kitnersville, 18930 (Opens TONIGHT 7pm)
Pennsbury High School East, 705 Hood Blvd., Fairless Hills, 19030 (Opens Monday 10/29 9am)
Council Rock North, 62 Swamp Road, Newtown, PA 18940 (Opens Monday 10/29 9am)

Montgomery County: (All open at 7pm Sunday)
Pottstown High School, 750 North Washington St., Pottstown 19464 (full time veterinarian on site)
Cheltenham High School, 500 Rices Mill Road, Wyncote 19095 (full time veterinarian on-site)
Norristown High School, 1900 Eagle Dr., Norristown 19403

Chester County: (All open at 7pm Sunday)
Avon Grove High School, 257 E. State Road, West Grove 19390
Lionville Middle School, 550 W. Uwchlan Avenue, Exton 19341

About the American Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania: The American Red Cross Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. The Red Cross is not a government agency. All Red Cross assistance is free of charge. Financial contributions are always welcomed and needed and can be made by going to RedCrossPhilly.org.
Please note that I realize this is over our link and snippet limit but hope this is a good exception to that rule.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:13 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Mainstream Media cry's wolf on too many storms so not doing anything. I've been through storms in Orlando where the walls slightly sway and I know that isn't happening here. My area won't flood and I got food...
Seems like every year now there is a "storm of the century". No doubt people need to take care, but probably no different than all the flooding from last year in the central part of the state or the many other storms that come through here.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:55 PM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
SEPA Red Cross Opens Shelters in Preparation for Hurricane Sandy

Please note that I realize this is over our link and snippet limit but hope this is a good exception to that rule.
thank you so much, unfortunately there is nothing open in my area????? I cannot believe they didn't prepare for this in our area, lots of old people...??????
Greatly appreciate...I even called the Red Cross, police, they both knew nothing??????

Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 PM

441 posts, read 766,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's super dangerous. Stove tops weren't meant to heat houses.

Extended use can burn the oxygen in your house, leaving dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide.
Deleted my last post because I didn't like the way it came out. In short, I don't understand why leaving burners on for hours to heat a home is more dangerous than cooking a large Thanksgiving meal where the stove is in use at full capacity for almost an entire day.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:51 PM

175 posts, read 590,323 times
IT,
Lowes and Home Depot were not caught with their pants down (Generators sold out). It is all the people who wait until a storm is coming to try to buy one who dropped their pants. Duh.
You can get a really good deal on generators if you shop around, prior to impending storms of course. We live in an area that loses electric very regulary. Many years ago when our kids were young we had our home set up with a generator panel so all we have to do is start the generator, plug it in outside and flip a switch.. presto we have certain areas of our home with electric (not whole house). We have heat, well water, hot water, sump pump, refrigerators, freezer, microwave, a couple outlets and a kitchen outlet for countertop cooking and coffee. We forgot a few areas but we live with that, okay so we forgot a light in the one bathroom ....... It really is not that expensive considering the whole picture,, our son just had an electrician install a panel in his home. We had to replace our generator 2 years ago and we were able to get a great price on one. It is possible, but do it right after this storm so you aren't caught off guard again.

My prep for this storm - I have gas for the generators, food in the freezer and I will cook on our gas grill, crock pot or electric skillet pan. We live at the bottom of a mountain and beside a large creek so I will also watch the sump pump like a hawk! Oh yeah and the wine is stocked!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Cabela's had hundreds of them for sale vs Lowes and HD who sold out of their small number immediately. During our last major blackout over the summer, again Cabelas had hundreds of generators for sale whereas Lowe's and HD didn't or were very slow to try to bring them in. I'm saying the companies weren't prepared to deal with( and make money on) this storm whereas Cabela's seemed to be able to step right up and get them in stock almost immediately. Friday they had two truck loads en route and were selling them later that day.
There are always people who don't prepare or who make the mistake of living in flood plains.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Here's another way to search for a Red Cross shelter American Red Cross - Shelters

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
Deleted my last post because I didn't like the way it came out. In short, I don't understand why leaving burners on for hours to heat a home is more dangerous than cooking a large Thanksgiving meal where the stove is in use at full capacity for almost an entire day.
The stove top burners aren't being used all day. Regardless, keep in mind, when cooking Thanksgiving dinner all day, most people end up cracking their windows because it gets too hot inside (since their furnace is on too). When trying to heat a house with an oven or stove, people keep their windows closed to trap the heat. Some people even close themselves off in the kitchen to isolate the heat in one room. As a result, a house has more oxygen while cooking Thanksgiving dinner compared to a house that is being heated soley by a stove because those open flames need oxygen to burn. The scary thing is that some people think it's safe simply because they've never had a problem. It's like Russian Roulette.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 PM

56 posts, read 112,723 times
I'm from Pa and have most of my family still there. My brother lives in Atlanta so he may get some of the weather too.

True as others have said it is better to be prepared ahead of time. I live in Oregon now so we do not get hurricanes or tornadoes, very rarely get any snow and if we do everyone panics. I laugh, we rarely missed school because of snow.

We get a random wind storm and may lose power. Lots of rain but I am not near any rivers or streams so I don't worry about that. The only other thing is being near a fault line But again not thinking we will get a huge EQ.

I have decided that I do need to be better prepared, so going to stock up on batteries, and bottled water. We always have plenty of food in the pantry.

Stay safe everyone

Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Gas in the generator, check
Gas in the gas cans, check
Gas in the car, check
Generator runs, Check
Sump pumps work, check
Stack of cash in the wallet, check
Fridge full, check
Pantry full, no check needed it's always full.
Gutters cleaned, check
Everything loose outside taken care of, check
New chainsaw because I needed one anyway, check

...........and most importantly of all.

2 cases of beer, check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania