Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:10 PM

325 posts, read 582,817 times

Advertisements

I haven't been in the Wellsboro area for about 5 years. Really liked the area. Thinking of going out there for about 3 days.
I've heard about the shale oil work going on. Is it that bad? Should I make plans elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
What are your favored activities? The gas affects traffic on major roads and variable effects on minor roads. The gas companies have fixed some roads better than they ever were. Drilling in Tioga State Forest hasn't yet impacted the major visitor areas although there are seasonal water withdrawal points on upper Pine Creek. The major impact is on accommodation, hotels are more expensive than they used to be.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 PM

how bout the town of Wellsboro itself? Has the boom changed the quaint, small town in anyway?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,231,137 times
other than the housing cost and/or availability, as kiOeh mentioned, I don't think you'd notice much difference on a 3 day visit. Except maybe the traffic but if you actually stay in town and walk, it should be enjoyable.

You might call ahead for reservations for where you want to stay.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
how bout the town of Wellsboro itself? Has the boom changed the quaint, small town in anyway?
Yes it has in many ways. Thousands of new people have come through here to work the gas fields and many of them brought their own problems. With all of the construction it adds tons of construction related issues such as traffic, noise, lights, etc.

I had a friend visit here recently from overseas who had been here 5 years ago. To him, not much had changed. It's not like they laid waste to main street and leveled the place. From a tourist point of view, it shouldn't impact you too severely.

Also this year Shell has cut way back on the number of wells they are doing and it has noticeably slowed down right after the beginning of the year. Traffic is more reasonable again, hotels are showing vacancies and the number of people about is less. However the weather is warming up and days are longer and I expect it to pick up some over summer as it always does. Looks like they are starting up some pipeline work west of town.

If you are coming up soon, be aware STPR rally weekend is June 1-2, which will bring a couple of thousand motorsport enthusiasts to town. I'd recommend STPR to anyone interested in motorsports and getting out into the forest. There is more to motorsports than Nascar.

STPR - Waste Management Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally (STPR)

Check out this awesome video from last year:

13 - A short film from STPR 2011 by Gravity Bureau - YouTube

Also rafting/canoeing season on Pine Creek probably has about 2 weeks left to go unless we get more rain.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:35 AM

How about further west to Potters county. Any nice affordable hotels in a real scenic spot?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
Potato City Country Inn

Susquehannock Lodge, Potter County, Pennsylvania

I've never been to either but have known people to stay at both without complaining.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:15 AM

Default Wellsboro update

Well we finally made it back up Wellsboro. It's been about 5 years. Last time the area left a tranquil impression, loved it.
First stop was the route 6 dinner. My wife and I both had cheesburgers with fries.
After dessert and coffee, the bill with tip came out to near $40.00. I heard from some locals that the diner has new owners and they are looking to clean up with raised prices. The fries were awful, the pie and ice cream dessert was good.
The drive on Route 6 out to Tioga/Potter was horrible. The area is booming. Trucks, businesses workers all over the place. Help wanted signs wherever you look. Traffic and noise. The area really has changed. Great for the local economy, I'm glad for them.
We cut our visit down to one day and night. Couldn't wait to get back to Sussex County NJ!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,477 times
What is Sussex County like?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,705,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
Well we finally made it back up Wellsboro. It's been about 5 years. Last time the area left a tranquil impression, loved it.
First stop was the route 6 dinner. My wife and I both had cheesburgers with fries.
After dessert and coffee, the bill with tip came out to near $40.00. I heard from some locals that the diner has new owners and they are looking to clean up with raised prices. The fries were awful, the pie and ice cream dessert was good.
The drive on Route 6 out to Tioga/Potter was horrible. The area is booming. Trucks, businesses workers all over the place. Help wanted signs wherever you look. Traffic and noise. The area really has changed. Great for the local economy, I'm glad for them.
We cut our visit down to one day and night. Couldn't wait to get back to Sussex County NJ!

Thanks for posting this: I cut and paste your comments and emailed them to my wife. We are veteran visitors to Wellsboro; I've been going there since 1994. We have some great memories in our nearly six years together, including kicking off our honeymoon there. I'm very sad to hear that one of the bed and breakfasts that we always stayed at, La Belle Au Berge, is either up for sale or has been sold. I can't get over your experience at the dinor. Last time we ate there in 2008, we walked out just a little over 18 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania