Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times

Advertisements

Pa 'missing link'in Continental 1

Quote:
Pa 'missing link'in Continental 1

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

We are all one big region and the world is getting smaller.

That was the message Meg Lauerman, project manager for Continental 1, gave Tuesday at a luncheon sponsored by the Greater DuBois Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development and the DuBois Rotary Tuesday at the DuBois Country Club. She said that regionalism and jobs go hand in hand with a major highway.

Lauerman said about 50 years ago, the Route 219 Association started and groups started meeting and said, "We need a decent highway."

About ten years ago, regionalism and lowered costs and the idea of working together came about and they said, "Here we are in the downtrodden part of the country. We don't have much, our population is falling and we don't have the political clout because our population is falling, but if we work together, we do have it, we do have the population and that strong voice."

And that is how the idea of Continental 1 came about, she said. It is a 1,500-mile highway that is 86 percent complete and will provide a direct route from Toronto, Canada, to Miami, Fla.

"All that is missing is that one piece," she said. "And the lion's share of construction is right here in Pennsylvania."

Continental 1 - Direct route from Toronto to Miami that brings business growth and faster, safer travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
That green line seems to be drawn rather arbitrarily. Truck traffic already can reach Buffalo (and go on to Toronto) using 79 North to 90 East in PA and NY.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
This is an completely ridiculous idea. Route 219 is a great four lane highway from the PA Turnpike at Somerset to a few miles north of Route 422 near Ebensburg. The remainder is two lane road. Route 219 is an underutilized highway. Approximately 25 miles to the east is Interstate 99, which runs from the PA Turnpike north to Tyrone, and then northeast to Interstate 80 near Bellefonte. It carries much of the traffic to and from Penn State. Interstate 99 does not go south of the Turnpike but Route 220 to Interstate 68 and Cumberland is a decent highway.

As the last poster pointed out, Interstate 79 runs north and south approx. 75 miles west of Route 219 with Interstate access to Buffalo and on to Toronto. What economic advantage would result from extending a four lane Route 219 from Interstate 68 to Buffalo?

Western PA's biggest highway problem is Interstate 376 and lack of a beltway, or at least an alternative route from Monroeville to the Pittsburgh Airport.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Couldn't somebody get from Toronto to Miami by driving over to Detroit and taking I-75 down? They're really stretching to justify upgrading U.S. 219 to a limited-access highway. I wouldn't mind it being a four-lane highway like U.S. 22, but it doesn't need to be limited-access. Reconstruct I-376 in Pittsburgh, I-83 in Harrisburg and I-76 in Philadelphia to current AASHTO code first, and then worry about rural upgrades.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
just someone looking for a handout, nothing to see here. as for beltways, the city should fight that every step of the way. city killers

Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
I grew up in a town near 219, so I've been bombarded with "developments" regarding the push for Continental 1 my entire life.

All one has to do to see how superfluous this project would be... is to look at a map and see I-79 "right next" to 219... and how it now adequately serves the Toronto-Florida corridor. In fact, the Continental 1 Corridor ends up at I-79 in Morgantown, WV anyways! Do we really need two Buffalo-Morgantown interstate highways???

Continental 1 makes no sense strategically as a Canada-Florida route, and is only advocated by communities along 219 who have no ideas for economic development.

But... as we've learned from the Mon-Fayette Expressway... some highway dreams never die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
just someone looking for a handout, nothing to see here. as for beltways, the city should fight that every step of the way. city killers
Agreed. Pittsburgh is lucky not to have one. The lack of a beltway is one reason Downtown has retained such job density.

And the 219 group is looking for a handout. It's a pathetic, outdated attempt at boondoggle spending to provide dubious economic benefits to a hopeless low-population rural area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Couldn't somebody get from Toronto to Miami by driving over to Detroit and taking I-75 down?
No. You take the QEW : I-90 : I-79 to go from Toronto to Miami. A Torontonian would only head to Detroit for destinations west of Columbus, such as Atlanta or Nashville. I-79 handles all Toronto traffic to points "due south", such as: Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Florida.

US-219 north of I-80 is the critical link between Toronto and Washington, DC, however.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
That green line seems to be drawn rather arbitrarily. Truck traffic already can reach Buffalo (and go on to Toronto) using 79 North to 90 East in PA and NY.
Not to mention the possiblity of I-95 / I-83 / US 15 via Williamsport. Let's call this appeal what it is -- just another ploy for money from the taxpayer, via Uncle Sugar.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:57 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
"We need a decent highway."

I-80 has an exit for Dubois. Isn't it a decent highway?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
US-219 north of I-80 is the critical link between Toronto and Washington, DC, however.
A lot of this traffic uses I-390 south from Rochester, then US 15 (future I-99 in part) from Corning NY south to Frederick, MD (some divert to the longer I-180 between Williamsport and I-80, with various ways to skirt Harrisburg because the signed US 15 route through the Harrisburg "West Shore" suburbs is unreal) or maybe even Leesburg VA now because the Dulles toll road is a lot faster route than I-270.

While hiking the Quehanna Trail I had to wait to cross the road for cars with Ontario plates. So some of this Golden Horseshoe-DC area traffic actually makes it onto the Wykoff Run Rd in southern Cameron County through the Quehanna Wild Area, part of a surprising direct route from Harrisburg to Buffalo through such shining lights as Smethport, Emporium, and Snow Shoe. (And of course Pine Glen, that was going to be the mid-Atlantic's Los Alamos for developing nuclear powered aircraft.)

Old 04-24-2012, 02:55 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
That map makes no sense. Why would it go through US-219 through rural Central PA then go onto I-79 in WV instead of just taking I-90 to Erie then getting and staying on I-79 there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania