Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 03:02 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about people of the same sex room mating together when they are 18-whatever age....

I really want to move out and could not afford to by myself and I do not want to wait till after police academy anymore...

I have a friend who's family just split up and went their own ways and he recently just lost his job and got another one which I don't think pays as well and his truck stopped working. He is looking to get a new one.

Once I land a great job my family has promised to help me with a car, and help as in buy and I pay them back. Then I can move out.

Which I hope to be soon. My neighbor works for an airline as a captain and can get me a job as a flight attendant.

My friend and I are pretty much in the same situation and have been thinking about spliting the cost of a two-bedroom apartment. My friend is a guy.

I am 20, 21 in august and he is 19, 20 in February.
When we both get the apartment we will both have cars, we will both have jobs and will both be able to afford it as long as the other person is helping to split the cost of things..

My only other option is to room with my female friend who's dad tracks her via GPS on her car and cell phone, gives her a 10pm curfew and pretty much controls her every move. He actually follows her to places and sits outside...I am SO not putting up with that...

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I had quite a few male roomates throughout my life---less drama than with female roomates.

You strike me as the type of girl who gets along better with men than women. Go for it.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,773,022 times
As long as there are two bedrooms, I see no problem, and while I never did it, plenty of my friends have (though usually sharingt a hosue with several people, not just two). I would suggest even though you are friends, put everything in writing. Ie both sign the lease, and put together a contract as to who pays for what (bills, groceries, shared stuff such as toilet paper), what happens if one of you want to leave, and what if one of you wants to have friends/ partner over (you may not see this as a problem now, but if your roommate starts having his girlfriend over every night, that will increase your bills and decrease your privacy!).

Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 AM

917 posts, read 2,949,324 times
As long as you don't sleep with him, it's fine. Once you go down that road, you'll have the worst situation possible when things go bad (and they always do). I've had guy roommates for years. They do tend to be messier than girls and you have to nag them to do chores, but they have less drama.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,490 times
If it works for both of you, go for it. When my sister was in college she rented a house with a young man and another young woman. It worked very well for all of them.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
I wouldn't have a problem as long as there are 2 bedrooms.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,222,276 times
If I were doing the roommate thing, I would prefer a male.
You don't have to worry about them getting into your clothes or makeup.
You don't have to worry about them flirting with your dates.
They generally have their own friends and activities.
You have a male in the house....which can be a good safety feature.
If you want to get rid of a guy...you have a fake built in excuse.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times
Why you care what C-Ders think? Do what makes sense to you.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,715 times
I had a male roommate for two years while in college. We never slept together, never kissed, purely platonic brother/sister type of relationship. He was, and still, is a dear friend. It worked well for us but we were two people who never would have been interested in each other to date. We made a deal from the very beginning that it was a rule that was never to be broken. If one of us started having feelings for the other, we would fess up and find other living arrangements. It just never happened.
We set very clear rules that the chores were split evenly, the shared bathroom was to be kept neat, etc. He made the best meatloaf I have ever eaten and would kill all the bugs. I would do it again in a second.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
DD has a couple of male roommates this summer...she was a bit apprehensive at first (mainly due to having no say in it or knowing the boys - her roommates subletted their rooms). It has turned out well. She doesn't have to share a bathroom with them so that isn't an issue. So far, she says much less drama than the girls, and they take care of all bug killing too (LOL). I agree with the others who say it will work best if you keep things platonic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting