Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,936 times

Advertisements

I have a 33 year old son suffering from depression, anxiety and high blood pressure. he's on medication for all three but has a dependency problem.

he's been through a 30 day rehab (detox) program for alchohol about 6 months ago and is still struggling with that and now with the medication prescribed - I'm worred and having to deal with it every day.

he lives at home with me - a single Mom - who is struggling to keep things afloat financially - (401K, a small savings, equity in home, etc.)

I provide the roof over his head, food to eat and now health insurance. He has no job, no car and 2 DUIs (no license for the next 12 months). I did buy him a bike just recently and explained that a job of any sorts is better than no job and a bike is better than walking! After 5 weeks, still no effort to get out of the house on his part!

Does anyone know of a program for young adults that he might qualify for? I'm desperately seeking help for him as well as myself! I don't know how much longer I can keep this up! He's bee like this for over a year now!

We live in Alabama, but programs from anywhere would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 12:29 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,935,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere53 View Post
I have a 33 year old son suffering from depression, anxiety and high blood pressure. he's on medication for all three but has a dependency problem.

he's been through a 30 day rehab (detox) program for alchohol about 6 months ago and is still struggling with that and now with the medication prescribed - I'm worred and having to deal with it every day.

he lives at home with me - a single Mom - who is struggling to keep things afloat financially - (401K, a small savings, equity in home, etc.)

I provide the roof over his head, food to eat and now health insurance. He has no job, no car and 2 DUIs (no license for the next 12 months). I did buy him a bike just recently and explained that a job of any sorts is better than no job and a bike is better than walking! After 5 weeks, still no effort to get out of the house on his part!

Does anyone know of a program for young adults that he might qualify for? I'm desperately seeking help for him as well as myself! I don't know how much longer I can keep this up! He's bee like this for over a year now!

wow, 33 and still living with mom. give him some tough love and kick his ass out.

give him 3 months to find a job, get everything prepared, etc. but let him know now that he has to go.

he go to school?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 PM

623 posts, read 1,605,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere53 View Post

As a parent you are responsible to your grown children. You are not responsible for them.

It is your responsibility to try and get him help. To be supportive and help him to be successful. At the end of the day it is you childs responsibility to do something with what you have given them. If they choose to be on drugs then have fun doing that on the streets.

Quit taking responsibility for you 33 year old son. He is a grown man and unless he wants to change he won't. Especially when mommy seems to take care of all his needs.

I would put and end to it and send him packing if he refuses to change.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
As a parent you are responsible to your grown children. You are not responsible for them.

It is your responsibility to try and get him help. To be supportive and help him to be successful. At the end of the day it is you childs responsibility to do something with what you have given them. If they choose to be on drugs then have fun doing that on the streets.

Quit taking responsibility for you 33 year old son. He is a grown man and unless he wants to change he won't. Especially when mommy seems to take care of all his needs.

I would put and end to it and send him packing if he refuses to change.
you gonna kick him out on the street and let him die there?

he is dependent on her, the thing to do is get him off of his dependecy.

those pills also affect him adversely, and he should be off of them.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:08 PM

37,164 posts, read 42,348,430 times
It sounds like he needs a good therepist and/or life coach. It might not hurt you either, just to help give you strength. Unfortunately I know of a few adult males just like this and there is no easy way to solve the problem. All you can do is decide how much of his problem you want to make YOUR PROBLEM. You have given him a good place to hide and, even though you don't think he can make it on his own, he will have to. Co-dependancy is something you should be worried about

Old 05-09-2010, 01:09 PM

37,164 posts, read 42,348,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
you gonna kick him out on the street and let him die there?

he is dependent on her, the thing to do is get him off of his dependecy.

those pills also affect him adversely, and he should be off of them.
He isn't going to die, and unless he is mentally incapicated he will figure out how to survive. That's the trap we all fall into when trying to "help" people...we soon become responsible for them.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
He isn't going to die, and unless he is mentally incapicated he will figure out how to survive. That's the trap we all fall into when trying to "help" people...we soon become responsible for them.
sounds like he cant live without her.

so yes he could die if he was just kicked aside without her.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:13 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,680,628 times
Tere53, have you tried going to a group for co dependants? He is 33 years old and you are allowing his problems to become your problems. As long as you are willing to care for him, he has no reason to get well.
Please remember this, you can't make become sober, but you can choose how you react, when he makes no attempt to help himself live a clean and sober life.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,275,035 times
You need to find him a place to get off the drugs and alcohol. I have a stepson who is the same age with the same problems, his mother always bails him out.
He is bipolar and has so many problems it is sad.

Get help for you.. You can not make him do anything he has to want to do it for himself.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,942,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
sounds like he cant live without her.

so yes he could die if he was just kicked aside without her.

That's exactly what he needs to believe.

Sometimes, impending death is the only (best?) motivator.

As someone who kicked his own brother out of his house when would not keep a job, I know how hard it is, and I also know it works. When faced with actually living on the street, my brother cleaned up his act and got serious about his life.

He's got a wife and home and education and career now. Sometimes the best thing you can do for the ones you love is let life kick them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting