Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 12:58 PM

16,305 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

So it seems like an important piece of parenting is cultivating friendships which means having playdates.

I find that arranging playdates can be cumbersome...but it seems like it has to be done particularly if someone has had my child at their house.

My kids are 6 and 8. I have heard parents say they enjoy having playdates because it means they can go off and do their own thing while the kids play. So far I have not found this to be the case for me. I have felt nervous when other kids were over that someone might get hurt and I feel like I have to watch like a hawk the whole time. The times we've had playdates I've tried to set up artwork activities but it seems like the kids bounce around. They wanted to be outside (which is fine) but they wanted to use rollerblades, bikes, electric jeeps a dirtbike which made made me paranoid. Should I just lighten up? I'd feel awful if a kid got hurt at my house.

They usually last around 2-2.5 hours....when it's nice out they can play outside but I'm finding when my son (8) has his playdate they wanted to use the ipad and i had to say no. So much of what kids want to do is on a screen these days. My daughter and her friends (6) werent interested in ipads/tv.

Anyone have any good ideas for playdates? If someone invites my kids over for a playdate it seems great. I assume they will have a good time and I dont really care if they use the ipad there, lol. It is more complicated as the host and I was surprised how quickly a group lost interest in painting over the weekend. It isn't stress free for me at all. Also figuring out a time my kids are home is another issue. I had invited some kids over at noon and the next thing I knew they were all coming over at 2 because that is what worked for everyone else.

I am at the point where I am feeling kind of done with playdates! They seem like they should be simple and sometimes they are...but when they involve more than one person they're a pain in the neck. Having one kid over sometimes feels like excluding another though.

Last edited by msRB311; 10-25-2022 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 02:15 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Well, it can be a good lesson for your kids to learn about taking turns. "Today is Janey's turn to have a friend come over." It will be your turn Joe, on Friday." Honestly, if it were me, it'd stress ME out too, trying to entertain 4 kids at one time.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:10 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well, it can be a good lesson for your kids to learn about taking turns. "Today is Janey's turn to have a friend come over." It will be your turn Joe, on Friday." Honestly, if it were me, it'd stress ME out too, trying to entertain 4 kids at one time.
True. I think someone else set a precedence in having 3 kids over and i felt like I should do the same. It is much easier having one over.

It feels like play dates can be pressure for the host. I envy people who have a pool in the summer...they can just sit there and watch the kids and that's typically all the kids do lol.

My 6 year old doesn't get home until 4 during the week so there really isn't much time for playdates. They also play sports so they have practice...but it does seem important to find time to have these playdates so they have friends.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:01 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
True. I think someone else set a precedence in having 3 kids over and i felt like I should do the same. It is much easier having one over.

It feels like play dates can be pressure for the host. I envy people who have a pool in the summer...they can just sit there and watch the kids and that's typically all the kids do lol.

My 6 year old doesn't get home until 4 during the week so there really isn't much time for playdates. They also play sports so they have practice...but it does seem important to find time to have these playdates so they have friends.
I agree it's important to have friends. Do they have any friends in the neighborhood? I'm guessing most of the play dates happen on the weekends?

How about if you and the other kid(s) parents agree to meet at a local playground for a little bit? That way, there's 4 eyes watching the kids instead of just 2, plus you get adult company for a little bit?

Old 10-25-2022, 04:44 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
So it seems like an important piece of parenting is cultivating friendships which means having playdates.

I find that arranging playdates can be cumbersome...but it seems like it has to be done particularly if someone has had my child at their house.

My kids are 6 and 8. I have heard parents say they enjoy having playdates because it means they can go off and do their own thing while the kids play. So far I have not found this to be the case for me. I have felt nervous when other kids were over that someone might get hurt and I feel like I have to watch like a hawk the whole time. The times we've had playdates I've tried to set up artwork activities but it seems like the kids bounce around. They wanted to be outside (which is fine) but they wanted to use rollerblades, bikes, electric jeeps a dirtbike which made made me paranoid. Should I just lighten up? I'd feel awful if a kid got hurt at my house.

They usually last around 2-2.5 hours....when it's nice out they can play outside but I'm finding when my son (8) has his playdate they wanted to use the ipad and i had to say no. So much of what kids want to do is on a screen these days. My daughter and her friends (6) werent interested in ipads/tv.

Anyone have any good ideas for playdates? If someone invites my kids over for a playdate it seems great. I assume they will have a good time and I dont really care if they use the ipad there, lol. It is more complicated as the host and I was surprised how quickly a group lost interest in painting over the weekend. It isn't stress free for me at all. Also figuring out a time my kids are home is another issue. I had invited some kids over at noon and the next thing I knew they were all coming over at 2 because that is what worked for everyone else.

I am at the point where I am feeling kind of done with playdates! They seem like they should be simple and sometimes they are...but when they involve more than one person they're a pain in the neck. Having one kid over sometimes feels like excluding another though.
Just let them play. Kids really don't need to have every minute scheduled. Let them be creative.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:55 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Just let them play. Kids really don't need to have every minute scheduled. Let them be creative.
Well i did that and my son's friend was riding over our neighbor's lawn with the dirt bike. There were some times they were fine on their own.

They do have some neighborhood friends. They come over all the time which isn't always ideal wither, lol.

Hopefully it'll work itself out. My son told me a boy asked him if he wanted to have a playdate in school and my son just said sure. I guess the rest is on me and dont know this kids parents at all

Old 10-26-2022, 10:41 AM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
Guess we lucked out in that I live in a townhome development with kids in every house. My kids "play dates" are with neighbor kids outside for hours and sometimes inside. Just curious why you would need to entertain an 8 year old? When I went over my friends houses growing up, mom didn't set up a circus, we just did whatever. Same when kids come over here, but my kids are older then yours. The only time I've ever set up anything was for my 11 years old bday, and after that, they did their own thing.

Old 10-26-2022, 10:42 AM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Right? I parent like it's the 80s lol..

Old 10-26-2022, 03:56 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:

My kids are grown ups now. I remember "trying" the playdate thing. I was just not enjoying it. Especially when the one mother dropped her kid off that had diarrhea then went to her other son's mother and tea at kindergarten. That ended it for me.

My sons are close in age. They were quite content making their playtime without other kids.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'd be happy to let the kids do their thing but I don't want my house destroyed. We have a playroom in the basement and i was fine when the kids went down there...but they didn't stay there. When they went outside and got the bikes and roller blades I felt like i had to watch. I think in the future I'll just limit it to one or two kids. Having 3 at once was too much.

Some people seem to love playdates and think they are easy. I guess I am surprised by that as they dont seem easy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting