Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 12:58 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Researchers have now proven what many of us anecdotally knew to be true: Parents are less strict on their younger children.

Scientists Prove That Younger Siblings Get Less Discipline | Newsweek Culture | Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
My three older boys say this about my two younger girls all the time! They say, Mom, you are getting soft! I tell them, guys, I'm tired, it's probably true LOL

They are reffering to little kid issues-all five are generally well behaved-we're talking about things like helping clear dishes.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Yeah, most of my son's friends are the youngest child of the family which is nice since they are so laid back about parenting by this point. You don't hear much judging of other people's parenting which is cool, and they don't have these random arbitrary rules just to prove they are Good Parents. There is one family though that might be too laid back with their #5. They have totally hung up their parenting hat and it has been a bit of a problem.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 AM

49 posts, read 250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
My three older boys say this about my two younger girls all the time! They say, Mom, you are getting soft! I tell them, guys, I'm tired, it's probably trueLOL

They are reffering to little kid issues-all five are generally well behaved-we're talking about things like helping clear dishes.

Sounds like my parents. I'm the youngest girl with 2 older brothers, and i know i never got disciplined like my brothers or had as many responsiblities around the house. I guess by the time i came around they got tired of it all.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I worked in the school system (high school) for over 20 years and I could always pick out the baby of the families. They had the attitude that the world was there to serve them and was always so busy "being cute" that they were extreemly annoying. As a game to myself, I would pick them out then ask if they was the youngest and they always were. I was right 100% of the time.

I am now working in an adult world where we are all suppose to be adults and I can still pick them out. They expect everyone else to pick up their slack and to clean up after them and have that annoying "aren't I cute, I am so special" attitude. They never make it where I work because it is a dangerous job and immaturity has no place in that job. It is so sad to see a big guy acting like a spoiled rotten kid that expects the world to serve THEM.

Parents are doing these kids no favor teaching them that they are so cute and special that they are exempt from the rules the rest of the world lives by. They are not teaching them to live in the real world where they will need the skill to make it on their own and it is a rude awakening for these children to be shoved into such a cruel world where they are held accountable for their own actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting