Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:04 AM

48 posts, read 71,389 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Our school district has 1/2 day Kindergarten in their own building from 8:30-11:20am. It's not even 3 hrs. I talked to a K teacher and she said it is ONLY academic. No art or music or gym. She said she crams a lot in the 2.75 hrs or so that the students are there. They get right to work. Do you think this is enough time and would it be too rigid for a young 5 year old? There are a few private schools in our area that do have full day K from 8:30-3:00pm. I'm an at home mom so pick-up and drop-off isn't a problem. I love having our daughter here! But I do want the best for her. Anyone who has been there, done that? Any insights?!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Do they get breaks during that time or is it literally 2.75 hours of academic work? Because if its that then that doesn't sound good.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:38 AM

The teacher said maybe 20 minutes of free play or outdoor play. She said by November, there's no time.
But then again, she'll be home for lunch. However, we have a baby who will be napping in the afternoon. I won't be driving her place or doing too much with her becaue I can't leave the house.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Id do private full day in a heart beat...but I would do private over public no matter what. We had an AWFUL experience in public and hope to never go back

Old 04-29-2015, 12:08 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Ask the parents in your neighborhood who have had kids in public and private kgtn.

The full day is long for this age. But the best part about kgtn is the playing together, and now that's no longer part of the curriculum if they're in half day.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:11 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Only 20 minutes of play isn't enough. What kind of schedule do they have at the private full day one?

Old 04-29-2015, 12:14 PM

Schedule at private is work from 8:30-11:30, lunch, recess, work again at 1:00 or so until 3pm. They do have Music, Spanish and Gym. This is a Montessori program.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:27 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
I think full day works best for most families these days, in that it provides childcare for working families, and gives teachers enough time to cover the academics that are required, while also giving the kids more breaks and more specials (art, music, PE, library).

I asked my sister, a kindergarten teacher her opinion on this at one time, and her first reaction was that she would not have enough time to cover everything. But, then she stopped and considered a little more, and said that it would be ok if she didn't have any "special needs" or behavior problem kids, didn't have any who needed differentiation / more individual attention, if she could just plain teach the standard curriculum and not deal with all of the extra bureaucracy and special situations that the larger classes bring.

I would have liked half day for both of my two oldest kids, for different reasons. In both cases, I was a SAHM so I didn't need the childcare. My oldest kid was very academically advanced. She really didn't learn that much in kindergarten, not nearly as much as she would have, if I'd had her at home for the afternoon where she'd be able to explore and learn at her own (accelerated) pace. Half day would have worked well, in that she could have had exposure to same-age peer group while also doing her own thing. A full day at school didn't really give us time for extras, though.

My next kid was the opposite - she didn't like being in school all day because it cut into her play time. She would come home exhausted after a full day, and I think she probably would have learned just as much if it had condensed into half a day, and then she would have been free to run the neighborhood for the rest of her day, as she much preferred to do.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama7 View Post
Schedule at private is work from 8:30-11:30, lunch, recess, work again at 1:00 or so until 3pm. They do have Music, Spanish and Gym. This is a Montessori program.
Our kids left public for Montessori and I can't say enough good things about the method. My children went from stressed out kids to thriving kids. It's just really great. But it isn't for parents who enjoy lots of testing and competitive natured environments.

At least at our school the kids get lots of social time, play time and work time. They work cooperatively a lot. Those things are important to me.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:38 PM

That's great! I do like the Montessori program. But we would only send her for K. We plan to send to public 1st though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting