Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,189,660 times

Advertisements

I'm struggling to come up with ideas for holiday alternatives to toys and such for gifts. We have plans for some "things" but I am more looking for unconventional ideas. When we all (or at least me) reminisce about our childhoods we usually have more fond memories of our experiences, not our things.

Maybe I'm looking for holiday traditions? Something we can do not just something we can have.

I've been looking at craft ideas and science projects but what else can you think of?

Keep in mind my children are only two and four.

Maybe some trips? Either overnight or even an afternoon. I think we're going to visit Leavenworth, WA for their Lighting event at some point next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,302,100 times
We always enjoyed (as did the kids..very much) ice skating. We're lucky as there's always a frozen pond around we could use...any where you can go tobogganing?..

Old 11-15-2013, 04:06 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,491,047 times
When my daughter was 4, I gave her an apron for her birthday. She was now officially old enough to help me bake. Even now, 4 years later, as soon as I get out the flour she has her apron on and is ready to help (and the two smaller kids are right behind her).

I LOVED baking cookies with my mom when I was a kid, and now I've passed those same memories on to my kids Plus we get cookies or cake or pie

Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,949,999 times
Go sledding. Build a snowperson or make snow angels or build a snow fort and have a snowball fight.

If you don't have snow, get some white fluffy material (the kind you stuff dolls with) and have an indoor snowball fight or an indoor snowstorm.

Have a stuffed animal parade.

Read about Christmas around the world and bake cookies or cakes with recipes from other countries.

Make a gingerbread house and read the Gingerbread man story.

English Talking Book - Gingerbread Man - YouTube

Here you can make your own gingerbread man on starfall.

Gingerbread Man

Old 11-15-2013, 04:19 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,906,118 times
How about
simple homemade gifts for the grandparents.
Adopt a child/mitten tree, etc...in other words, have them shop for and wrap 'gifts' to give the less fortunate.
Make home made 'ornament' bird feeders to put outside for the animals
Try Family Fun magazine (print or website) for lots of ideas for activities.

go to this website for more ideas on fun activities to do plus how to keep it all organized
Christmas Countdown | Organized Christmas

Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,389,453 times
There is a craft store in my area where kids can make their own tree ornaments. I figure if we go each year and make a few, then my kids will have a decent stash of ornaments when they grow up and are out on their own.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:38 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'm struggling to come up with ideas for holiday alternatives to toys and such for gifts. We have plans for some "things" but I am more looking for unconventional ideas. When we all (or at least me) reminisce about our childhoods we usually have more fond memories of our experiences, not our things.

Maybe I'm looking for holiday traditions? Something we can do not just something we can have.

I've been looking at craft ideas and science projects but what else can you think of?

Maybe some trips? Either overnight or even an afternoon. I think we're going to visit Leavenworth, WA for their Lighting event at some point next month.
I think the days leading up to christmas are the best. We go to everything local that is christmasy, from tiny tots concerts to tree lightings, and some of our local parks have amazing christmas displays that cover acres, and are accompanied by campfires and other fun things. We also do cookie-decorating, gingerbread houses, and similar. Then there are the classic movies, from Dr. Seuss to Peanuts. My son also loves decorating the house, yard and tree. On Christmas day, aside from presents, there is a big breakfast followed by going out to visit relatives. When I was a kid, my favorite part of Christmas was just having my grandparents around all day, and snacking on this and that. Very food-oriented, I guess.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,286,749 times
A few of the Christmas traditions we have:

Christmas movie/popcorn on Christmas Eve... now that my kids are older, they debate on the most outlandish movie choices... my only requirement is it has to have Christmas in it.... last year it was gremlins... sigh, I miss the days of the Grinch.

Making gifts.... cookies in a jar, tie it blankets, handprint garden stones

A special ornament for each child that directly relates to something they did/accomplished that year

Show/Concert - Trans siberian orchestra - nutcracker - etc

breakfast Christmas morning

decorating the tree together

baking (special time with the girl... the boys only care to lick the beaters)

we try to do at least one charitable act as well... Angel Tree, mystery santa for disadvantaged family, etc

Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
We try to go to some sort of live Christmas performance, e.g "A Christmas Carol" (our youngest was five when we first took them to that), The Nutcracker, Christmas concerts, etc.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,188,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

How about one very nice gift instead of several gifts they'll play with for five minutes and have lots of pieces which you'll have to clean up all the time?

Another one, perhaps when they're older is give them each $25 and take them to a thrift store - let them buy whatever they want. A kid could buy tons of stuff for $25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting