Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 03:00 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,933,700 times

Advertisements

RE: Video shows one of the car seats in the front seat of the car
Aren't ALL children and their car seats supposed to be in the back seat of the vehicle? It has to do with airbags for one thing. I remember one of my grandchildren wasn't even allowed in the front seat with her booster seat (or whatever you call them) when she got older but still underweight for just a seat belt. So what gives with that video?

Last edited by Jaded; 07-05-2013 at 11:45 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,734,856 times
If they're next to each other, then I doubt it will be a problem to have one RF and one FF. The can still talk to each other and see each other.

When my son was a baby, the recommendation was one year and 20 lbs. So I turned him at one year. When my daughter was a baby, just two years later, the recommendation was two years, as long as they were under 35 lbs (I think?)... so I turned her at two. If I were to have another baby, then I'd do whatever the current recommendations were. My ten-year-old is a little peanut and is still in a booster seat, because she does not fit in the seat correctly without the booster. It's not overprotective; it's doing what's safest in a situation where the rules of physics don't care what type of parent you are.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:17 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,388,119 times
I have seen recommendations to keep kids rear facing until 2 years old. 4 seems a but old, and I think they would be at the limit or above for height and weight.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 PM

511 posts, read 839,085 times
easternerDC, the recommendation is till at least two years old. My seats are RF to 40 lbs. My son is just there now. Daughter won't be for a good while.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,763,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Wow, 4 years old? How have they not gone insane from boredom looking at the back headrest for 4 years? Turn them both around and let them see the world and interact with the people in the front seats, IMO.
My son can "see the world" just fine from rear facing. He says "all done" when he sees the same tree when we turn onto our street. He has things he plays with back there but mostly just looks out the window and is just content at 2.5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Wow, 4 yrs old?! Our kids all the limit before they were 2 and we turned them around. I don't know how you made it 4 yrs, the crying in the car goes significantly down once they can see the world!
My son has never cried rear facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
RE: Video shows one of the car seats in the front seat of the car
Aren't ALL children and their car seats supposed to be in the back seat of the vehicle? It has to do with airbags for one thing. I remember one of my grandchildren wasn't even allowed in the front seat with her booster seat (or whatever you call them) when she got older but still underweight for just a seat belt. So what gives with that video?
Actually you can put a carseat in the front seat if you disable the air bag, but its much safer in the back. I believe they can only FF in front seat though.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:59 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,163,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
My son has never cried rear facing.
Really? Never is a pretty bold statement, might want to contact Guinness

Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 AM

861 posts, read 2,719,649 times
Quote:

My son has never cried rear facing either..... it's all he's ever know, and it's hardly traumatic.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,668 times
wow, 4 years old and still rear facing, and a couple more years for your daughter? Where do their legs go? I know some have higher weight limits, but I thought that was for younger children who reach those low weight limits early. My Britax booster goes up to a 85 limit as a harness car seat, limit of 120 pounds as a booster, it doesn't mean I'm going to drive my kid to highschool in a five point harness. Hell, maybe I should put it in as a booster seat in the drivers seat and drive around in it myself.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I cant help it my son enjoys being in the car. Maybe as an infant, but never as a toddler has he cried.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
wow, 4 years old and still rear facing, and a couple more years for your daughter? Where do their legs go? I know some have higher weight limits, but I thought that was for younger children who reach those low weight limits early. My Britax booster goes up to a 85 limit as a harness car seat, limit of 120 pounds as a booster, it doesn't mean I'm going to drive my kid to highschool in a five point harness. Hell, maybe I should put it in as a booster seat in the drivers seat and drive around in it myself.
There's plenty of places for their legs to go. Usually you can quit the booster when they turn about 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.