Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 PM

89,310 posts, read 86,250,537 times

Advertisements

^not to go too far off topic, but yesterday is fresh in my mind when ADULTS stood in front of us at a college graduation and blocked the view of everyone sitting in the section. Because my mom is elderly and has difficulty walking/uses a cane, we got to the graduation more than an hour early to get her seated. We were in the front row of our section (outdoor event) on folding chairs. There was a family next to us, a man, woman and a daughter. Just as graduation started, all these latecomers who apparently didn't want to sit in the seats in the back came down to the area in front of where we sat and just stood there, blocking everyone's view. The man sitting next to me was angry, and he started asking everyone to please relocate. No one listened. He finally got up and got the attention of staff, who came by and shooed all these people out of the area, pointing to where seats were open or asking them to move to the back. One obnoxious woman actually had the nerve to say, "But I can't SEE back there!" Yeah, and we who got here an hour and a half early can't see through you. One staffer was great. When anyone started to wander back up in front of us, she would wait if they were taking a photo and saying, "Did you get your photos? Great. Now I will have to ask you to move because you are blocking the view of all these people." If they weren't taking photos, she would point out where they might find an empty seat.

Having good staff on the ball made all the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 02:50 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,806,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Did you go up to the ticket booth and ask for a staff member? Or a food stand? I've never once been to a sporting event (been to A TON) that didn't have numerous visible staff available.
There were food vendors in the concourse outside the arena, but it's certainly not their job to take care of attendees' problems. I didn't think about looking for someone at ticket booth, but again, I doubt that handling this situation would have been part of their job description. I had noticed when we went in, and we were trying to find our seats, that this place didn't seem to have ushers, because we were on our own in figuring out where our section was. (This was NOT a major league sporting event, just a small town team).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
..... He finally got up and got the attention of staff, who came by and shooed all these people out of the area, pointing to where seats were open or asking them to move to the back. <snip>

Having good staff on the ball made all the difference.
Glad someone there handled it, so your mom (and everyone else) could see!!

Old 05-20-2013, 03:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,080,349 times
I have to admit, I would be mortified if we were out with a group and one of them decided to sit on the floor and block the aisle with their legs.

As far as the kids, it sounds like the dad is the kind of guy who wouldn't notice a hurricane or a herd of cattle in the living room if there's a ball game on...there are some men like that. Useless... I would have told the kids in my best mom voice, "Sit down before one of you gets hurt." Most kids are used to being told what to do and if you tell them instead of ask them, they're likely to obey you out of reflex.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,900,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Last weekend, my husband and I, and another couple, attended an arena football game. We had intentionally bought tickets for good seats, so we could have a good view of what was going on, as we'd never been to an indoor football game before.

I was sitting on an aisle seat in the 4th row up from the field. There were about 6 kids, who all seemed to be with one man 2 rows behind us, who kept running up and down the stands right next to where we were sitting. They were constantly blocking our view of the game, and the distraction made it hard for me to keep my attention on the game instead of how angry I was becoming at those kids. A few times these kids even fell on the stairs while running, so of course my attention was diverted to them, causing me to miss some big plays. (I do have enough compassion to be concerned about them getting hurt!)

I wanted to say something to the man, but my husband disagreed. Obviously the man was well aware of what his group of kids was doing, and he was aware that they were annoying us (I made it clear with my looks back at him). Another man sitting in the end seat across from me was also quite annoyed with them, and he was giving me "understanding glances." He even stuck his foot out in the aisle and winked, an obvious joke that perhaps he should simply trip them next time they came running down (just joking, don't flame him).

Eventually we ended up moving to another place that had 4 seats together. But we shouldn't have had to move! I saw no ushers or staff to notify; I did walk around for a while trying to find one.

Considering the dad clearly didn't care that his kids were getting on our nerves, would you have said something to him? Or maybe to the kids? (I'll admit that I got SOOOO frustrated at one point I got out of my seat and sat down with my legs spread out to block the aisle, an obvious hint that I was royally pizzed off. The kids simply jumped over my legs! GRRRRR!! I know, I know, that was a juvenile display of my anger, and I was embarassed later that I did that.)

I would have said something. That is incredibly rude and inconsiderate. An example of terrible parenting as well.

The "dad" was just glad that they were running elsewhere and not blocking his view.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,794,545 times
That happened to me.
Paid 600 bucks a ticket for awesome seats to an amazing game.
Guy in front of me brings his like 4 or 5 year old daughter who clearly is bored and has zero interest in the game.
She was climbing all over the seats. She would jump up and down (clocked me in the chin TWICE) and obstruct my view.
Wasn't watching a single second of the game.
At one point, when she headbutted me again, I put my hand on her shoulder gently (she turned to look back) and simply shook my head.
She stopped. She seemed cheezed off at being chastised (spoiled much?), but she sat down and played with her dad's phone for the rest of the game.
So glad....that was an amazing game.
It makes me mad people would take kids to something like this and torture both the kids and the other fans.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM

89,310 posts, read 86,250,537 times
Quote:
There were food vendors in the concourse outside the arena, but it's certainly not their job to take care of attendees' problems. I didn't think about looking for someone at ticket booth, but again, I doubt that handling this situation would have been part of their job description. I had noticed when we went in, and we were trying to find our seats, that this place didn't seem to have ushers, because we were on our own in figuring out where our section was. (This was NOT a major league sporting event, just a small town team).

I could have stood on a chair and seen over them (my height does have minor advantages), but not my 84-year-old mother! There were other elderly people behind us, too.

These people were once the children that no one taught how to be considerate at public events, I guess.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,124,103 times
Quote:

No, but they could have called someone.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:04 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,881,211 times
I would have told the kids they're blocking my view and to go play around somewhere else.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,500,462 times
I have found that when a parent hears someone else chastising their kids, either they will step in and take over, or remove their kids from the situation. I usually don't hesitate, and would not have hesitated in your situation, to tell those kids to have a seat and stop distracting the game. If daddy doesn't like anyone speaking harshly to his little angels, then he'll make sure to keep them out the way, or take them somewhere else.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,434,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
... Why you would stage a one-person sit-in but not talk to the father is beyond my comprehension.
I have spoken (politely) to many such people. Never once have I received even an apology, let alone any action to improve the situation. In fact, you risk incurring their wrath, as they often are angry that you have pointed out their rudeness. And, let's face it, it's the parents who are at fault, not the kids.

Many people today seem to see nothing wrong with imposing on the general public children who have never been taught any manners. I've seen kids and their parents in this mode in expensive restaurants, on airplanes, at plays and concerts, and plenty of other places adults might have paid good money to enjoy something. I no longer even go places where I expect there to be a lot of kids (parks, zoos, parades, fireworks displays, etc.) My enjoyment of these things has been ruined once too many times.

I worked for a company once that had a branch in Orlando, FL. We employees would do anything we could think of to avoid going to that office. No matter what day of the week we traveled, we always had to endure Disney families on the flights. I would rather fly to Japan in coach than go from New York to Orlando in a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting