Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times

Advertisements

removed from this household? Your opinions please, thank you.

10-year-old boy found wandering Spring Hill street naked and drunk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 PM

556 posts, read 798,148 times
Yes.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
"Caretaker"? Are they foster parents?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Not a whole lot of information in the article. What 10 yr old walks outside naked, drunk or otherwise, why was he naked to begin with? Based on the minimal information given, absolutely, he should be removed from the home.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times
Something definitely needs to happen and I would be very surprised if the boy hasn't already been removed from the home. There isn't enough info in the article to even comment on whether or not the boy should be removed permanently. A number of different things could have lead up to this incident and it isn't necessarily a case of persistent bad parenting. It could be a temporary crisis that would be better dealt with with help for the family than permanently breaking it up.
When people make comments about removing kids permanently they often don't consider what comes after but the removal isn't the end. In fact removal and life in fostercare is a trauma in itself and more often than not growing up in foster care will be a huge blow to normal development and success as an adult. A child should only be put in that situation if it's absolutely necessary and if the bio family can be repaired than that's what should happen. That's what's best for the child. Maybe this case is one where permanent removal is best, though. I simply can't say with such limited info.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,448 times
I would be interested in hearing more details about this situation before making a judgement, especially if it involves a "caregiver." This caregiver may be a babysitter who is violating the trust of the parents. It may be a foster parent. It may be a family member. It may be that neighbor next door who pitched in at the last moment to help out. Hard to tell and the article is sketchy. Hopefully for the time being, this boy is removed to a place of safety, evaluated by a doctor, allowed to sober up, and then interviewed.

Upon investigation, if it is indeed a regular problem with this family, the family should have time to get their act together if at all possible with the boy being kept in a safe situation until this happens. It all comes down to the safety of the child and this situation could have had a much more dismal outcome such as the boy running into traffic and being killed.

And of course there are other situations that are so serious that a child should be forever removed from their biological family (horrific abuse or neglect). There are certain points of no return where a biological family immediately should lose the right to parent. Just my opinion of course.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
That poor kid.

Why adults feel the need to mess up kids when they screw up their own lives..... I don't know.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:50 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
The article stated that the boy was "given" four shots of brandy - that's entirely different from a kid experimenting voluntarily and on the sly. Someone was deliberately giving this child alcohol - and a lot of it. That's illegal, neglectful and endangering the welfare of a minor, for starters. I can think of a number of other charges which should be made.

More information would be needed to determine whether or not this child should remain with these "caregivers", but he surely needs to be removed to a safer environment at present, and I'd hope that if he is returned to his present situation anytime soon, a lot of supervision of those so-called "caregivers" would accompany him.

For now, placing the child with responsible family members would be the best solution - if such individuals exist and are able to care for him.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
removed from this household? Your opinions please, thank you.

10-year-old boy found wandering Spring Hill street naked and drunk
The boy should definitely (in my opinion) be removed from the "caretakers" home. Not sure what a caretaker means though, is that a foster parent, or a babysitter or what?..I sure wouldn't want to see any other kids in her care.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Yes, he needs to be removed from this home -- it's not clear from the article if they were babysitting, or relatives of some kind but you don't get drunk and pass out when caring for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting