Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,794,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Then why'd you ask?

Who says work can cause a divorce? If a person puts too much priority on work, and not enough on his or her relationship at home, that's the fault of the person, not the job. Really, anything that you could point to that could "cause" a divorce would still come back to the 2 people in the marriage and how they deal with it.
I ask for the opinion of others. Just because I disagree with a post doesn't mean I do not value input.
Many people say work has caused a divorce possible they could have done more, who knows however the point is some have made such statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I ask for the opinion of others. Just because I disagree with a post doesn't mean I do not value input.
Many people say work has caused a divorce possible they could have done more, who knows however the point is some have made such statements.
It depends on how you look at it. Any number of things can contribute to a divorce, and kids are one of them. I still think there have to be underlying problems, though. A perfectly compatible couple who is committed to making their marriage work is not going to get a divorce over a child-rearing issue. They'll figure out a way to compromise.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It depends on how you look at it. Any number of things can contribute to a divorce, and kids are one of them. I still think there have to be underlying problems, though. A perfectly compatible couple who is committed to making their marriage work is not going to get a divorce over a child-rearing issue. They'll figure out a way to compromise.
Good point.

Would you say having a child with a mistress would cause a Divorce? If so the Child caused the divorce.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
Quote:
Good point.

Would you say having a child with a mistress would cause a Divorce? If so the Child caused the divorce.
No, again, the CHILD did not cause the divorce. The poor behavior of the married spouse caused the divorce. Why are you so focused on the child as the cause?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Quote:
So children can not cause a Divorce but work or money can?

I disagree! If work can cause a crack in a marriage; so can children. Some rearing techniques are deal breakers for
certain individuals.
It's not the children.
It's not the money.
It's not the work.

It's the two people who didn't have their heads on straight while choosing a mate and then were too inflexible and immature to compromise and work it out when conflict arose.

There is nothing outside a relationship that screws up a relationship.
People who say there are are usually looking for someone else to blame.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People who say there are are usually looking for someone else to blame.
Stan for the win!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Wish it was with a better constructed sentence, though, Zim.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
Quote:
Good point.

No, not at all. The child is innocent. It is the people who had the affair that caused the divorce.

Unless a child is so manipulative that they somehow manage to purposely come between their parents, no child causes a divorce. Even in that case, it is still the fault of the parents for not figuring it out and dealing with it differently.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:24 PM

I wonder if people are to afraid to admit children can be a driving force to divorce.
If there are factors that drive people to do certain things why are children off bounds as to divorce?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,489,634 times
A marriage is between the two people that exchanged vows. A child has no power over adult decisions or behavior. I can't think of a single scenario, outside of a farfetched fictional Bad Seed or Omen child, that a divorce would be a child's fault. That's just absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting