Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,311,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well, boys that age are not getting bathed by their parents every night, so I guess they can be a little lax in the hygiene dept. But I wouldn't say that having dirty fingernails and hair is that abnormal for a 9 year old boy.

But I really wouldn't say anything, you'll just embarrass your little sister. Their her friends, it's not really your place.
No i mean i can tell the difference between kids romping around with dirty feet, and nails, and what i am talking about. And that is why i have not said anything to get because i don't want her to lose a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
He may be entering puberty early (a lot of kids are these days) and his hormone levels could be causing some of the issue with the way he smells.

Do you know the mother well enough to be able to have a gentle conversation with her for his sake?

It won't be long before he will become a real social misfit if this keeps up.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 4 days ago)

16,098 posts, read 21,227,265 times
It might just be a stage. My DD went through something similar, where she didn't care about her hygiene no matter how much I nagged. A little bit of time and some peer pressure took care of it.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
He may be entering puberty early (a lot of kids are these days) and his hormone levels could be causing some of the issue with the way he smells.

Do you know the mother well enough to be able to have a gentle conversation with her for his sake?

"So by the way your kid stinks, and how is that apple pie recipey i gave you?"

Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
"So by the way your kid stinks, and how is that apple pie recipey i gave you?"
First, are you and she peers? If so, you should definitely try to say something to her for his sake.

If not, try to enlist the support of someone you know who might be close enough to her to do this in the least upsetting way possible.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
First, are you and she peers? If so, you should definitely try to say something to her for his sake.

If not, try to enlist the support of someone you know who might be close enough to her to do this in the least upsetting way possible.
Eh i would say she is more of a family aquantince then anything. I mean i know her from some functions, and general chit chat when she drops him off. But i would not say we are friends. I think maybe talking to my mother might help since she knows people this lady knows.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Eh i would say she is more of a family aquantince then anything. I mean i know her from some functions, and general chit chat when she drops him off. But i would not say we are friends. I think maybe talking to my mother might help since she knows people this lady knows.
Sounds like a plan.

The important thing is to do something to try to help this child before things get worse and he suffers adverse social consequences.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,812,073 times
Quote:

This is what I was thinking. Soon the other kids will start tormenting him, and he will have to do something about it or be an outcast. If you can put up with it until then, I'd just stick to the Febreeze.

BTW, does your sister ever say anything about it to you? Seems like she'd certainly see/smell it.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a plan.

The important thing is to do something to try to help this child before things get worse and he suffers social consequences.
What if i just dunk him in the tub accidentally? . I agree with that last point as he is getting at the age where kids will start saying things to him.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
This is what I was thinking. Soon the other kids will start tormenting him, and he will have to do something about it or be an outcast. If you can put up with it until then, I'd just stick to the Febreeze.

BTW, does your sister ever say anything about it to you? Seems like she'd certainly see/smell it.

She has told me she thinks he doesn't take showers. But never really complained beyond that. But you know that kids tend to find smells less offensive then us adults too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting