Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,423,731 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm spitting mad!

Many on this board have accused me of being too protective, domineering, etc. I disagree.

with a 13 year old daughter, I feel its my RESPONSIBILITY to know where she's at and who she's with. I don't care what others think, those are MY RULES

I've been attacked on this board via other posts, my "rules" are too protective, yadda, yadda

Well, today my dd wanted to go to the mall with a friend. I had not met the friend, nor her mother. They came by, I didn't met them. I violated my own rules. which are:

I personally meet other parents first, introduce myself, exchange information, I even have cards printed up

We agree on the ground rules--where they go, when they return, if something come up, we communicate, etc.

Well, today, I violated my own rules. DD was in a hurry, they were here, I wasn't dressed, so, she ran out. With a cell phone, but not much money. Oh, they were just going to hang out, not buy anything.

We got a call almost 9:30 pm from frantic DD, alone at the mall, the girls had run off and left her. The mall was closing, she approached a security guard. Dad is in process of fetching her, she is with security guard now, otherwise she'd be all alone in a deserted mall. BTW, I curredntly can't drive, due to a back injury. I assumed if they took her, they would return her.

So, I will proceed to tear this woman's head off in shreads when I encounter her.

What's the matter with you? You pick up a child you take responsibility for her, you don't run off and leave her. I don't care what you thought, I don't care if your girls told you she left, they couldn't find her, etc, YOU were RESPONSIBLE FOR MY CHILD If somehow you couldn't find her, you should have located us somehow--see, that's why I insist on exchanging information with other parents!

Not all people are as responsible as I am, when I have someone else's child, I consider it a sacred trust, I don't just assume they got home somehow without following through.

Even if this woman didn't have our cell, her dd had our name, and obviously they knew where we lived, they came here and picked her up, they should have come by here and said they couldn't locate her, anything but leave her stranded in the mall!

Fortunately dd knows what to do---approach a "safe person" such as a security guard, those lessons have been drummed into them since they were 3. My kids have more sense than many adults, but hey, I know how little sense some people have, that's why I am protective and cautious!

So now, flame me for this!

I will find this woman and give her my opinion on her treatment of my child---she will not like what she will hear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,472,340 times
No interest in flaming you here. I can understand why you were worried. Things happen sometimes. And in the future, follow your own rules. They've obviously been working well, no matter how overprotective the CD forums seem to think you are.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
No interest in flaming you here. I can understand why you were worried. Things happen sometimes. And in the future, follow your own rules. They've obviously been working well, no matter how overprotective the CD forums seem to think you are.

You're so right, follow my own rules!

I wasn't so much influenced by other flames from other CD posts, just I got a little lax and look what could have happened. what if Dad wasn't home, no one to go fetch her? Well, no problem, I'm quite resourceful, I would hire a taxi, call a neighbor, I can always use my brain!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,991,758 times
I have never criticized you and I can't wait to hear the end of this story!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
I'm looking forward to hearing how the other mom responds.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:48 PM

See, as a parent, you have to keep track of your kids. You can't always assume other parents have a sense of responsibility, or a brain to back it up.

She's wanting to be independent, we are trying to give her more freedom as time goes along, but we have to decide what's best for her as well.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing how the other mom responds.

I don't CARE how the other mom responds, I might even file charges against her for child endangerment!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
At 13, I think it is as much about trusting your daughter to do the right thing as it is about trusting the other parent. I wonder what the miscommunication was. How did your daughter and her friend get separated? Was there a meeting place and time established ahead of time? Were the kids dropped off, or was the other parent supposed to stay at the mall?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,298,735 times
You have every reason to be very angry Marylee, leaving your daughter to find her way home was incredily iresponsible and an unforgivable lapse in judgement by the other woman.Your daughter is lucky SHE has a parent who IS responsible, and looking out for her well-being.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
I don't know how old your daughter is, but why didn't she just call you rather than go to a security guard? Maybe you better have more information before getting angry with this other parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting