Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It definitely tastes different too me. Not all hormones are banned, and not all cows are injected with the same hormones. You have to make sure you get your organic meat from a trusted source, though.
Yes, as I said not all hormones are banned. Bear in mind hormones have been used in beef and dairy farming since the early 1950's. Some are still used, and in beef labelled "USDA Certified Organic" all that means is that growth hormones are not used, but other hormones may still be used. And a host of other substances are also used, such as meat tenderizers, saline, and antibiotics may be used if deemed necessary by a vet.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 AM

Good Morning Everyone! How's everyone today?

I have a neighbor who I think the saying "how the mighty have fallen" was specifically written for. Much to my surprise/alarm/horror I discovered he is running for a State Senate position. He held the position in the 90's and since then has led an interesting life. We'll see what happens.

I'm staring at a huge stack of school forms I need to fill out. Those would be in addition to the ones I have already filled out. And none of our information has changed. I wish they would automate the data fill, seriously!

DD doesn't like headphones/buds, and so I get to enjoy her pop ditties repeatedly throughout the day. Lets just say that stupid Mick Jagger song is permanently emblazoned in my brain now. I would be happy to share it with y'all if you would like!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Morning all! Getting ready to head out here....I may be back on in a few hours. Having my last cup of coffee and need to dry my hair....

Good luck on the school forms Zimbo - I don't miss those - we do ours online and this year some of them were prefilled! It was lovely.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:51 AM

Crossing all fingers, toes, and boobs MM!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Good luck, mm! I was just thinking about you and Miss mm...here's to a quick surgery and recovery!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Morning Zim and mm.... I see you there Ewag.

mm big hugs to you. I actually just tried crossing my boobs, and wow, it can almost be done - but ends up like a big smoosh, truth be told.

Zim - I'll have to try asking the butcher about oxtail. That would be great if they sell it cheap. I only see it in the meat section already packaged - and it seems to be around 11 bucks for 4 or 5 measley pieces. My grandma used to make tripe too. Yuk. I can't do any kind of offal. I can't stand liver or kidneys, and steak and kidney pie was a big deal where I grew up. Yuk yuk. Not that you can buy it anywhere that I've seen, and it probably costs 2 million dollars a pound anyway.

Aconite - I hear you about the stew meat. It's ridiculous. But I never buy the meat marked "stew meat" - you don't know what it is. I bought the one from Costco once and it's the only meat I've ever had that actually went dry on me while I was stewing it. I have no idea what it actually was.

psr - I wonder if you're eating the grass fed beef, and that's why you notice a big difference in flavor?

And speaking of oxtail, Dew - did you ever go to Versailles? Now there was a restaurant that knows their meat. Everyone gets the garlic chicken, but their oxtail is divine. That was the best hangover restaurant ever.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Good luck to your daughter, mm!

I'm heading out later to register for my classes. I've put it off all summer because I absolutely HATE going there. The classes are sooooooooooo boring. And socially I'm way older than most of the daytime students. I tried night classes last term to be with older students, but I felt I had no life because I rarely saw my family. I can't wait until I can switch to the Saturday program at the other university.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Good luck to your daughter, mm!

I'm heading out later to register for my classes. I've put it off all summer because I absolutely HATE going there. The classes are sooooooooooo boring. And socially I'm way older than most of the daytime students. I tried night classes last term to be with older students, but I felt I had no life because I rarely saw my family. I can't wait until I can switch to the Saturday program at the other university.
Arg, that sounds like no fun. I definitely get the social component - I'm pretty sure I didn't like many 18 year olds WHEN I was 18!!

I liked teaching late afternoon/evening classes because my students were more diverse. I tended to find the older students had much more to contribute, from a different set of life experiences, than a lot of the younger ones. Although, one of my favorite things was watching my best students (of a variety of ages, 18-60) all join up together for study groups. Ah, I miss school.

When do you get to transfer to the Sat program?

________

Hey-a Zim and FR - Happy Thursday to you!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Morning everyone!

MM - fingers and toes crossed here - impossible to even try to cross my boobs - props to Fin!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I liked teaching late afternoon/evening classes because my students were more diverse. I tended to find the older students had much more to contribute, from a different set of life experiences, than a lot of the younger ones. Although, one of my favorite things was watching my best students (of a variety of ages, 18-60) all join up together for study groups. Ah, I miss school.
Don't get me wrong, I made some good friends last year and we still get together regularly. I also enjoyed the diverse little groups we formed in each class. We even went out to celebate at a bar after class in the fall term---some were as old as me and some weren't old enough to drink.

My main problem is that I'm also going to school with my son's former classmates. His high school graduating class started college last year---the same year I returned to school. So, I have these kids who know my son who are following me around like I'm their mother hen. It's great they like me but it's different than becoming close aquaintences with the other young people who do not know me as a mother figure.

One young man followed me from a fall class to a spring class. He even called the professor for special permission because the class was full. I didn't mind that in itself, but he is addicted to pills and his addiction became more obvious to others during spring term. Wherever I sat in class, he'd walk in and sit next to me (he was always late). People actually thought he was my son---which made me really uncomfortable.

I didn't want to be rude to him. I wasn't. I simply endured it. What else could I do? I treated him with respect, helped him with classwork whenever he would ask for help. A couple times, I did try to talk with him about his pill usage. It's such a waste of a life. He's so bright and so driven. I have no idea how he is balancing it all with an addiction.

These aren't even kids who were close friends of my son. The worse part is now the next high school graduating class will be starting school this fall---the kids who would have been a grade below my son, like TK. This means there will be MORE OF THEM than last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
When do you get to transfer to the Sat program?
Next Fall. I hoped to start in January, but I will be short two classes after this term. I'll need to take those in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.